Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 12:14 PM

811 posts, read 1,557,383 times

Advertisements

Has anyone any experience with this wood as flooring in the house? I understand it is the hardest wood and want to put hardwood down in the living room and master bedroom. I have dogs so need a hard wood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 02:26 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,911,686 times
imo, unless you are getting something very soft, the hardness of the wood has very little to do with scratches related to dogs.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:58 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,952,198 times
I have heard of Ipe on the exterior, but not as flooring. Bamboo is also extremely hard.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:34 PM

It is used as flooring but because of its hardness can be difficult to work with. The scratching thing makes sense so what do you think would be the best wood to use in a household that will always have dogs? A wood that wouldn't show the inevitable scratches so much or would engineered be the way to go? I appreciate any opinions.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Bamboo is also extremely hard.
That's not true. Bamboo is harder when it's older, but popularity is causing it to be harvested younger, when it's mush softer. Bamboo doesn't last a month with dogs or heals or moving furniture. Light wear and tear can destroy bamboo in a year. As a result, I wouldn't want to risk trusting a company's word that their bamboo floors are made from old growth, unless I was willing to go through the installation process again under warranty.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:32 PM

Thanks, that's good to know.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not true. Bamboo is harder when it's older, but popularity is causing it to be harvested younger, when it's mush softer. Bamboo doesn't last a month with dogs or heals or moving furniture. Light wear and tear can destroy bamboo in a year. As a result, I wouldn't want to risk trusting a company's word that their bamboo floors are made from old growth, unless I was willing to go through the installation process again under warranty.

Well, that's only half-truth.
It depends on what type of bamboo flooring you're talking about.

Strip engineered flooring is the cheapest and the least hardest. It consists of a 1/8" or less face of actual bamboo strips. Then there's vertical and horizonal strip "solid" flooring. It consists of strips that are pressed together with heat and glues in either a vertical or horizonal format. It creates a much stronger flooring material.

Then the strongest is woven. They use the fibers of bamboo, twist and weave them together then use the heat and pressure means of curing. This produces a very strong and durable flooring material.

As for the OP's question of Ipe- it's been used for many years as decking material; at least for those that can afford it! And I have seen a T&G variety that is used for interior flooring. But here's the catch:

The wood "itself" is damn near indestructible- it's the finish that is put on it that catches Hell from dogs, heels, and other foot traffic sources. As with any wood, with some being harder than others it's not the material per say it the type of finish that's applied.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,911,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Well, that's only half-truth.

The wood "itself" is damn near indestructible- it's the finish that is put on it that catches Hell from dogs, heels, and other foot traffic sources. As with any wood, with some being harder than others it's not the material per say it the type of finish that's applied.

100% true! This is one of the biggest misconceptions with floor-buying imo. People get so caught up in the "hardness" of the wood when thinking about pets. And, while hardness is a factor in general for wear, scratches from typical use and animals is really all about the FINISH on top of the wood.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 PM

^^
Along those lines then, what is the best finish/wood, hardwood or engineered wood that would be reasonable for dogs? I am going in circles trying to figure out what to do for the best!! I suppose one that can be easily sanded when the appearance gets too bad?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Hardness does matter. Dogs can GOUGE soft wood regardless of the quality of the finish. If you have a gouge, more wood needs to be sanded away to refinish it.

The best choice is a hardwood with as many layers of finish as possible. That way it has more layers to go through before a dog's nails is scratching the actual wood. You'd definitely want hardwood instead of engineered. Engineered is limited in how far it can be sanded because it's basically a veneer. Solid hardwood is real wood for the entire thickness.

If you keep your dog's nails trimmed so you can't hear him walk across the floor. That protects the floor and it's good for your dog's feet and ankles too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating