Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times

Advertisements

I want to put up curtains at this window to give the room some color. I am eventually going to put in the 2 in faux wood blinds in white for privacy. I'd like some privacy now, but my main issue is to give the room some color and warmth right now.

I was thinking one decorative curtain rod with ring clips holding one or two panels at each end of the window.
I can't decide on the # of panels for a window this size.

I typically like 2 panels per window, but 6 panels seems excessive and expensive. The window is about 112 inches wide or 9ft 4 inches.

Just zoomed in on the curtain photo. The panels are 54 inches wide. I'm thinking 4 at minimum if I want to be able to close them for privacy...

What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I think 4 would be fine, but if I were you, I would buy two 100" panels from somewhere like Country Curtains instead. Then you wouldn't have all the openings to contend with.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I think your windows are a feature. I think I'd leave the center panel open, and have panels on either side, pulled back like Priscillas. I'd want to see out of that lovely window, I think. Add some art to your room for color. Use the drapes to emphasize the other colors in the room

Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 PM

Ack.. I didn't find anything on the Country Curtains website that would work for me. The colors didn't seem to be what I was looking for. I found one panel that I kinda liked, but it's $169 for 1 panel!!!!!!!!!! Okay, so it's a 100 inches long, but my Walmart panels are the perfect color, lined, and exactly what I'm looking for $13.96! It's only 54 inches, but even at $28 for equal coverage that's a huge bargain! Sorry, Country Curtains is not in my budget.

Does anyone have a suggestion for installing a large curtain rod without using a center support? I know one can easily be mounted, but I hate the looks of them! I was just reading about some tricks where you can insert dowels for extra support. I'm having trouble understanding/picturing how that works.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
Ack.. I didn't find anything on the Country Curtains website that would work for me. The colors didn't seem to be what I was looking for. I found one panel that I kinda liked, but it's $169 for 1 panel!!!!!!!!!! Okay, so it's a 100 inches long, but my Walmart panels are the perfect color, lined, and exactly what I'm looking for $13.96! It's only 54 inches, but even at $28 for equal coverage that's a huge bargain! Sorry, Country Curtains is not in my budget.

Does anyone have a suggestion for installing a large curtain rod without using a center support? I know one can easily be mounted, but I hate the looks of them! I was just reading about some tricks where you can insert dowels for extra support. I'm having trouble understanding/picturing how that works.
If you buy a much longer curtain rod then you won't need the dowel. But the dowel just goes inside of the rod. Take the rod all the way apart and put the dowel inside then put the the other side of the rod back on over the dowel.

For a cheaper curtain look at some King size FLAT sheets if you can trim them to the right size. You can use some pinch pleats or sew an open seam to accommodate the curtain rod. It won't be very heavy fabric though.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
You can also look at using table cloths for larger windows. I've used closet poles-painted-for large windows vs a curtain rod. I think no matter what you do it will look better with a center support. It's going to sag in the middle. You could get a clear one or smaller profile one and not even see it.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post

Do you sew? You can sew the cheap curtains together.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:19 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
That triple unit has an interesting trim detail- the center unit is flanked by what appears to be columns with a cap.
With all that detail and different planes, why even bother with panels? The whole thing screams PLANTATION SHUTTERS! You can get "color" so many different ways (paint-as in wall color, furniture, accessories, artwork, and on, and on...) why waste it on cheap ass panels from Wally World?

Save your money- get the plantation shutters. Prices vary greatly depending on the material they are made from- mainly wood or PVC.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
I would have 3 curtains. One for each window. Spring rods are enxepesive and easy to install. since they are temporary, you could put one panel on each of the out side windows and two in the center and divide when open.

Of you are handy you could get a similar color material and make a simple interior valence[held in place by the rod] to cover the rod.

Splurge for a nice sunburst shade when you install your wood blinds.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM

I know most of you don't approve of my Walmart curtains, but I am very pleased with how they came out. I love them. It gives the room something it never had before. It's a really big room and now it feels almost cozy. I keep them open most of the time unless I'm hanging out in there at night.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating