Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,988 times

Advertisements

My late husband designed an apartment for us. The layout is beautiful. The entire apartment was taken down to bare walls. The intention was for my husband and I to do the work ourselves. He was extremely handy and did remarkable work, Unfortunately he fell ill and passed away after the apartment was gutted. Since the contractor ripped me off for thousands of dollars I cannot afford the granite countertops originally planned. The kitchen cabinets are from IKEA and are the AKRUM/ADEL medium brown. I have been looking at Wilsonart HD laminate. I like the Bahia Granite. The websites I have looked at say it is in the green family but does not look at all green to me. Has anyone seen it in person? I would like to keep the countertops dark. I was going to go with black granite originally.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:04 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth1537seeker View Post
My late husband designed an apartment for us. The layout is beautiful. The entire apartment was taken down to bare walls. The intention was for my husband and I to do the work ourselves. He was extremely handy and did remarkable work, Unfortunately he fell ill and passed away after the apartment was gutted. Since the contractor ripped me off for thousands of dollars I cannot afford the granite countertops originally planned. The kitchen cabinets are from IKEA and are the AKRUM/ADEL medium brown. I have been looking at Wilsonart HD laminate. I like the Bahia Granite. The websites I have looked at say it is in the green family but does not look at all green to me. Has anyone seen it in person? I would like to keep the countertops dark. I was going to go with black granite originally.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
When you say apartment, that suggests you rent. No one guts and remodels an apartment. No one! You mean townhouse? Condo? You don't own apartments and have no permission to do what you did.

Whatever the case, sorry you chose the 2nd worst junk cabinets money can waste...........oops I mean buy. Oh well........it seems you chose that old standby shaker style that everyone wants today for crazy reasons. Your color we call all toffee. That went out of style in the early 2000s but it goes with everything. Shaker style is also starting to fade much to the delight of us professional Designers.

Nothing wrong with Wilsonart laminate. Today's generations of laminates have the look and feel of real granite. The untrained eye can't tell the difference. And it's much cheaper then granite. Which by the way is also dying in popularity. That is a fact. My opinion is granite will never completely die. Laminates still carry a stigma of being cheap junk. Just like IKEA and Chinese cabinets do. But laminates today are pretty awesome and you have more then 500 colors to choose from.

Finally I am sorry you lost your loved one. And also sorry you got ripped by a criminal unscrupulous Contractor. I hope he got caught. Us professionals can not stand to hear these stories. Unfortunately during these economic depression times when the unemployment rate among Construction trades is over 40%..........everyone with a pickup truck and a tool box are calling themselves Contractors. And the public is hiring them over certified and/or licensed pros because they charge half the amount. As the saying goes.........ya get what ya pay for. I sincerely hope you recover well and they get caught and prosecuted.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
So sorry about your loss.

I am going to suggest that you find a sample of this laminate before deciding. Computer monitors are not terribly accurate when it comes to color. You might well find one at Home Depot or Lowe's. If you can find a paint chip that matches the color of your cabs, holding the two together might help you know more.

The only thing I can say for sure about it is that it looks dark.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Order a 3X5 sample from Wilsonart- it's free.
Then you'll know for sure if its the color you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating