Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:36 PM

8 posts, read 52,417 times

Advertisements

We are building a house and it will be primarily stone on the front with stucco accents (on window bump outs, peaks, etc). This is the stone we are using (Margaux beige by permacon.ca)
Click image for larger version

Name:	margaux beige.jpg
Views:	15512
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	113973

The brick will wrap around the sides and back of the house (stone is far too expensive to do the whole house). This is the brick by husband was thinking of...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ashford.jpg
Views:	5266
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	113974

Not sure if it is too brown/dark. Any thoughts/options would be appreciated. We would prefer to stick with one of these 3 companies for brick:

General Shale*|*Brick Products

Stone Products, Clay, Face Brick, Stone Wall

Hanson Brick | North America | Northern Collection

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 04:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap77 View Post
We are building a house and it will be primarily stone on the front with stucco accents (on window bump outs, peaks, etc). This is the stone we are using (Margaux beige by permacon.ca)
Attachment 113973

The brick will wrap around the sides and back of the house (stone is far too expensive to do the whole house). This is the brick by husband was thinking of...
Attachment 113974

Not sure if it is too brown/dark. Any thoughts/options would be appreciated. We would prefer to stick with one of these 3 companies for brick:

General Shale*|*Brick Products

Stone Products, Clay, Face Brick, Stone Wall

Hanson Brick | North America | Northern Collection

Thank You!
I have to say that I don't like stone used over the face of the house, combined with another material on the sides and back. To me it doesn't look right. I also do not care for the combo of brick and stone you show.

Did you get this idea from another house you liked? Do you have a pic?

Old fashioned houses in St. Louis sometimes had brick exteriors combined with limestone accents. If the limestone was very white, and the brick was a mix of red/orange, the effect was distracting to say the least. I am used to seeing homes with front facings of brick, and shingles on the sides and back. I think that looks tacky, but it is fairly common. In the PNW I have seen homes with faux stone fronts and frame sides and backs, and I think that looks tacky too.

What you are thinking of doing is odd in my experience. The colors don't, from the links you gave us, seem to relate, and the effect will be distracting, IMO.

If I could recommend something it would be this: use brick for trim on the lower part of the house. Nix the faux stone. You will just have to replace it in 10 or 20 years anyway. Brick is more permanent. Or use real stone trim. Key the color of the house to the color of the brick or stone you select. Or build an all brick house, which would be a rare thing in this day and time, but it would look all of a piece.

I am just giving you my opinion here. There may be others who disagree, and perhaps are correct.

I would consider asking this question in the architecture board of CD for more opinions.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:28 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I agree with silibran -- unless there is something about the images the OP posted that is not accurate I don't see any color range in common with the stone and brick. The stone shown is mostly grey in my browser and the brick is very red / brown. Too much contrast...

Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 PM

THanks for the opinions. THis is that stone on an actual house...

this house has that brick that I posted in the back. I do think it is a bit too much contrast. I like the brick and like the stone but don't really care for it together either. My husband does. I don't like the look of brick with stone on the front but it is far too expensive to do a whole house in stone. I considered doing all brick but I love the look of stone. I don't want any siding - think it looks cheap.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:13 PM

I am trying to post a picture of the type of house that we are building and how it looks with the stone and stucco accents but for some reason the picture won't load.

This is kind of the concept of the stucco bumpouts around the windows but our style of house is nothing like this. I think I'll try to find a brick that matches the stone. I'll wrap the stone around the house a little and do the remainder in brick. Like I said, I want all brick/stone.

Thanks again for the opinions.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:15 PM

chet...I think the colour samples are a bit off because the brick, in person, doesn't have any red in it all all. It's so hard to tell from a picture though.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
That's just way too much stone!
It's like making a Lego house look like a castle.

I think brick with stone accents and maybe some stucco window wraps would look much better.

Google/Bing-
"Front elevations of homes with brick and stone accents"- hopefully you'll find something to your liking.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:40 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
I would suggest that you drive around and pick out the stone that you like on a house to show your contractor.

Stone & brick on a house looks strange to me (especially with stucco). That's too many materials.

Also, I agree with KB that that is way to much stone. I think either the brick or the stone would look nice with just stucco.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
WOW those houses (post #5) are close together. Eeeeeek. Honestly, THAT was the first thing I noticed ... that whoever lives in them will be right on top of their neighbor.

But I digress. OP, since the picture in #4 only shows the front, we can't see how those colors/materials go together. Do you have another view?

Old 07-02-2013, 04:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I'd do all brick or all stone. It's going to get way too busy with 3 different types of siding and it's just going to look silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating