Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times

Advertisements

There is a big difference between some tiny single basin sink on metal legs, a commode, and a 20" x 20" stand up shower and something that looks like the set of "Housewives of Beverly Hills". A typical single vanity is not what today's buyers consider adequate. The amount of storage one gets in even a modest 48" double vanity is far more likely to be appealing - Believe me the two square feet or so that are used in a well laid out master bath vanity are the most cost effective storage one can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 06:50 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
When we renovated our master 2 years ago we made sure the layout worked with 2 sinks. We actually have seperate vanities, each with 32 inch tops. Although we rarely use them at the same time it's nice to have our own space. No plans to sell but we know most people would prefer 2 sinks.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,396 times
I'd call it pretty standard for newer construction (and recent remodels).

Laugh, but o e of the reasons I love dual sinks is that my cat likes to sleep in one. With dual sinks, I never have to worry about accidentally spitting toothpaste or mouthwash on her!

Old 07-08-2013, 02:00 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There is a big difference between some tiny single basin sink on metal legs, a commode, and a 20" x 20" stand up shower and something that looks like the set of "Housewives of Beverly Hills". A typical single vanity is not what today's buyers consider adequate. The amount of storage one gets in even a modest 48" double vanity is far more likely to be appealing - Believe me the two square feet or so that are used in a well laid out master bath vanity are the most cost effective storage one can get!
Chet, I like how that vanity looks (although it's a bit too formal for me), but then when I looked more closely I thought, "That is really narrow for 2 people." I re-read your text and saw that it was just 48" wide -- no wonder it seemed small.

I had another thread about adding a master bath -- //www.city-data.com/forum/house...ode-issue.html -- and the consensus seemed to be that 48"-wide double vanities aren't really wide enough for 2 adults to use at the same time, which kind of defeats the purpose of HAVING two vanities. (As it turns out, I have ~62" of wall space for the sinks so I'll be able to fit a 60"-wide unit. If I couldn't, I would just go with one sink with more cabinet space.)

My house was built in 1960, and I don't plan to leave for 20+ years, so I'm not too worried about re-sale. If I were, I guess I would try to squeeze in 2 sinks no matter what.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:53 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
I understand the trend is to have a dual vanity in the master bath and my home currently has one. However, I just can't stand it. In my old home, we had a large vanity but only one sink and it had far more room to store items than my current one. Since neither my husband and I do not get ready at the same time, my personal preference is to have one sink with a large vanity cabinet. However, I will not do so until I have the house I intend to be my last. This is one of those trends that I do wish were not a trend. Ah well - I'm apparently on the minority side in disliking them.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
For resale, two sinks (IF there is enough room for two sinks) are preferable in a master bath.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Kathy my friend I have to disagree with you on this one (which is unusual you know).....I refused to live with something I don't like just because of resale - because at some distant date we may decide to sell. In the meantime, we live in the home, we don't plan to move (we are retired), and we prefer the counter space to 2 sinks (which we don't need).

When we moved into our home we changed all kinds of things - all the 4 vanities, all the toilets, all the flooring, the furnace, upgraded the air conditioning, all the appliances, hardware, most of the doorknobs, redid the screened in porch, re-landscaped the entire large yard (by ourselves), paint, some new windows and much more.

Potential buyers rarely like every single aspect of a home when they buy....and I seriously doubt that any buyer would look at our home with it's hundreds of wonderful features and think - "gosh if it only had dual sinks in the master bath, I would buy it." So I say - do the things to your home (within reason) that make you comfortable and suit your needs and taste and don't worry about resale.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 AM

4,230 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Can't think of any reason not to have two sinks for us. We're constantly getting around at the same time (go to work at the same time, go out together, getting ready for bed etc.) We are both using the sinks at the same time multiple times a day. Our bathroom is not "obscenely large" or anything either; it's very modest for a master bath these days actually.

After going from an apartment with 1 sink to now owning our first house with dual vanities in our master...I'd never buy another house (or build) without a dual vanity or at least having the space to put one in *if i could avoid it*. Would we turn down the perfect house simply for not having dual vanities? definitely not! But I don't see this as a "trend" but more a functionality preference thing. Some people find more counter space to be more functional and some like having the two sinks.

I don't think that not having 2 sinks kills resale though because some people like them and some people don't. What nearly everybody doesn't like though is a vanity with 1 sink AND no counter space. That doesn't make anyone happy! Two sinks vs 1 sink and more counter space is a personal preference though imo.

Last edited by Sunbather; 07-08-2013 at 08:20 AM..

Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Some people find more counter space to be more functional and some like having the two sinks.
Exactly!
Which is why anyone remodeling should do what is best for THEM.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:05 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
It depends on the house -- how old and how big. Clearly if it's a house of a certain age, it's not going to have two sinks in the master bath. (unless there was some kind of remodel)

If a person is house hunting they need to know the inventory they're looking at. Don't expect double vanities in certain homes.
If a person is remodeling their master bath and has the space, then putting in an additional sink will help with resale.

-------------------
In my case I'm in a neighborhood of 1964 houses. My master bath is (only) 5x7 -- so clearly is doesn't have two sinks. And clearly if a buyer is looking for that, my house isn't going to compete with newer homes. But for what a house -- any house lacks in one area, hopefully it has some positives on the plus side. Like there'll always be a market for starter homes, or lot size, or location, or established neighborhood, or good schools nearby, etc.

Last edited by selhars; 07-08-2013 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating