Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:39 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have a hardwood floor in my bathroom since 1990. It looks just s good as the day I laid it. I don't leave water on the floor, I wipe it should water spray. It is easy to keep clean. I use a spray bottle with bleach and water, wipe with paper towel, done.
I have never had the toilet or tub overflow either. If in the event I did have a flood and the wood floor got ruined, I would just rip it up, and lay another one. it is a bathroom, not a ballroom, It doesn't cost that much....

also, my parents have been in their home for over 50 years, they too never had the tub overflow, or the toilet leak.................

Some people have such a narrow minds when it comes to bathroom floors. I don't understand why. it isnt like what you have, you have to have for all eternity.

I also had wall to wall carpeting in the bathroom way, way before I had the hardwood, that too, was fine. It didn't get the mold like everyone seems to think. It didn't get drenched with water either. I do use a floor mat when I get out of the shower.

I just picked it up, threw it out when I was sick of looking at it and called it a day. I do like the wood flooring much better in the bathroom rather than ceramic tile, because to me, when the walls are tiled and the floor, it is too cold looking, and i feel the wood looks better. Plus I have a scatter rug as well, so it looks even warmer.....

Nightcrawler.....I'm with you.....

There is a "wood" sub-floor in the majority of homes anyway.....so what's the difference....

I love my hardwood floors in the bathroom with scatter rugs....I wouldn't stand dripping wet on cold tile either.....

Jamiecta.....good point about "not" caulking the base....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
I've had hardwood floors in the bathroom for a number of years. However, when the toilet leaked and ruined them, I did change it up. I went with a travertine and I must admit, I'm in love with that stone. So, while I love the look of hardwoods and until the toilet leaking incident had no problem, I do like the stone better.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
We have wood floors in our main floor guest bathroom. We have two other full baths so it's used fairly infrequently. We also have wood floors in our kitchen.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have never had the toilet or tub overflow either.
Me, either....unfortunately, there's always a first time. We had four bathrooms....I never watched the plumber fix a toilet in all those years (this is the first I've heard about not caulking around the rim of the base).

Quote:
If in the event I did have a flood and the wood floor got ruined, I would just rip it up, and lay another one. it is a bathroom, not a ballroom, It doesn't cost that much....
I thought it cost plenty.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Me, either....unfortunately, there's always a first time. We had four bathrooms....I never watched the plumber fix a toilet in all those years (this is the first I've heard about not caulking around the rim of the base).

I thought it cost plenty.
my bathroom isn't that big

Old 08-07-2013, 03:53 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
one thing that helps for toilet leaks is DO NOT CAULK the base of the toilet. Some codes require you to do so. I know ours does, but I went around and scraped off all the caulk around the base of the toilets. It is more of a problem than any sort of help. It's one of those very backward things in plumbing codes.

If it is caulked you can have serious issues before ever noticing a leak. If it is not caulked, anything other than a very, very minor leak will eventually show itself.
I recommend caulking around the front and sides of the toilet base but leave the back open. That way if an issue develops you will still be able to see it.

And I vote no on hardwood in any bathroom for the plethora of reasons already covered.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:26 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
I have wood floors on the entire first floor of out home, including the kitchen and half bath. No, you can't leave water puddled up on them all day but that's not a great idea anyway as most hard tile floors are not really waterproof. Also, along the lines of what Chet Everett said, the joists and subfloor below your finish are just raw wood. If you developed a leak the water would just run to the nearest opening or edge of wall and get in anyway.

Now we also have hardwoods on the second floor, but we did opt for ceramic tile in the hall bath and marble in the master. We considered wood for the master and would have done it using some type of naturally water resistant wood like ipe or teak, but just decided on the tumbled marble thinking there was too much chance of the puddle scenario and also thought it would work better with the heated floor system we did. I did paint the subfloor, added Hardi-backer 1/2" ( can't remember the true metric size it is) and sealed all around the wall substrate to floor substrate joint with silicone before putting in the tile on the wall and floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating