Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:32 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times

Advertisements

We just completed a long distance move, having only a 20ft truck to move everything is a great way to declutter. I've moved so many times in the past I tend not to accumulate junk but my husband had lived in the same house for 25 years and boy oh boy was there some stuff to go through.

Now we are in our new home most of our personal belongings are still in boxes as we are renovating and its beginning to drive me MAD ! Everytime we need something (yesterday it was AA batteries) we get to go through the 3 boxes that were the kitchen junk drawers... the totes from the 'it' room and then *sigh* other un-named boxes.

I'll be watching this thread as it seems we have way more junk than space so crafty storage ideas are definately needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Interesting thread, and one that strikes home with me because we are about to put our house on the market, and my project TODAY is to unclutter! Onward and upward!

Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My challenges are that I have not completely organized everything since my move last year. One of the things I need to do is organize jewelry storage. I have more stuff than storage.

One thing we did do was hang a rod in the space in the laundry where a freezer had been, so I can hang up clothes directly from the dryer. There is unfortunately no space for an ironing board. So I press things on a towel on top of a counter.
Tackle boxes make great jewelry storage containers! And many of them are made of clear plastic so it's easy to see what you need. I've been using this method for years!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Probably everyone knows this one, but it's working really well for me. I have spray bottles hanging from a tension rod under the sink. Pure genius!!
Organizing Under Your Sink - Martha Stewart Good Things

Great idea Thanks.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 PM

I just have to share a picture of my pantry because though it took me ALL DAY to organize it, I think it looks great - well, at least a lot better than it did...

Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 AM

503 posts, read 771,930 times
Default Linen closet solution

Check out what this blogger did with baskets from the dollar store. I seriously need to do this!
$10 linen closet redo - A Bird and a Bean

Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Our worst challenge is mail. We don't have a good spot to keep it. I go through the junk mail and toss it but stuff that needs to be kept or someone else needs to do something about just piles up on the kitchen island. Never did find a good system for that.

One thing I love is command hooks (those 3M things) inside cupboard doors to hang your measuring cups from. I'd take a picture of mine but I haven't put them up yet and we are moving soon so it will have to wait.

I put all of my spices in some of those Glad Take-Along plastic storage things. They are clear and I alphabetized them when I put them in so I can find them. That has been wonderful. The rack things just were not working for us.

I don't want to talk about our garage....

Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Golfgal, what do you mean about the spices? Are you putting the original spice bottles in plastic containers or are you putting the actual spices in plastic containers? I have my spices on a double-decker lazy susan and I'm constantly knocking things off of it. I think you may have found a solution for me!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Golfgal, what do you mean about the spices? Are you putting the original spice bottles in plastic containers or are you putting the actual spices in plastic containers? I have my spices on a double-decker lazy susan and I'm constantly knocking things off of it. I think you may have found a solution for me!
I put the bottles in plastic containers. It works really well.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:17 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Organizing and decluttering challenges.... easy answer.... my wife. :-)

She can never make a decision on where she'd like things... and i don't bother trying to figure it out because it'll end up being wrong... so pictures and certain things remain to the side and some areas and walls remain blank... LOL!

We've been in our new house for 8 months now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating