Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post

Our designer charges $90/ hour (no commissions), which I like, since she isn't incentivized to pay more for the same thing.
This is what I don't like about the commission structure described in the OP.

I think your instincts are right, OP, about the way she's doing it being off. Indefinitely would look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 AM

289 posts, read 608,446 times
I see a conflict of interest in the OP's designer model of getting commissions on items s/he buys. That model rewards her for buying fewer overpriced items quickly and make him/her money and then move on to his/her next job. I would rather hire someone willing to work on an hourly rate, that way they will go the extra mile finding better items (at better price, maybe) for the OP.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,790 times
Hi MissingSunshine,

First of all, welcome to Westchester! I have lived here for over 22 years and have also been an interior designer here for 21 years. (25 years total experience) When you shop for furniture at a retail store, or in a catalog do you have any idea what the percentage markup is for the merchandise they are selling? I don't feel it's professional to reveal exact markups and discounts, but let me just say that the percentage that the store is charging you is at LEAST a 100% markup off of the net price. So, if the store pays 500 for a chair, your price would be between 1,000-1,500 depending on their pricing structure. When you walk into a store, do you ask them what their markup is? No, of course not and even if you did, they would look at you askance and flatly refuse to tell you. Your designer's price at a 35% markup is a bargain! She might actually be able to purchase that same chair and her price could be anywhere from the net, net price of 500 to 700 after her discount. This totally depends on the vendor, at their discretion and sometimes the local sale's rep. If she's charging a 35% markup on furniture, then you would be paying anywhere from 675-945 for the same exact chair that you would be paying between 1,000-1,500 for in a retail store or an online catalog. As a matter of fact, I have seen some online vendors that have taken a $500 dollar piece of furniture and charged $2,500 for it!

So, the reality is that you will most likely be paying the same and probably less for the furniture than you would in a store. Stores in Westchester have HEFTY overheads. Your designer does not. She's also coming to see you, in your home. If you hire someone with years of experience, she has the knowledge base to lead you comfortably through your purchases. You'll be lucky if the salesperson in the store even returns your calls.

The important point is do you feel comfortable with the price point that's being presented and do you feel comfortable working with this designer? If not, please call me! :] My number is 914.232.3022. I welcome all of my clients to do their own research. I make a promise that they will not find the same product (or apples for apples) anywhere for less than they would be purchasing it through me. And I'm doing all the work! I also have the years of experience and expertise to help ensure that they do not make costly mistakes.

Taking a designer's plan an implementing it yourself is like taking your architect's plans and then building your home yourself.

Do you understand how lighting affects colors?
Do you understand scale?
What's the difference between nylon and wool? which holds up better?
What size sofa do you need?
Do you know how to ensure that your sofa gets upholstered in the correct fabric?
What do you do if there's a mistake or damages?
Do you understand the difference between SHIPPING and DELIVERY?

These are just a teeny tiny sampling of things that you will need to know if you are going to do this yourself. I mean, you wouldn't deliver your own breech twins now would you? lol

So, bottom line. If you are still looking and you like this designer, I would give her a try. If you don't, please call me at 914-232-3022! Please also, if you like take a look at my website. I am not going to post a link because it may go to spam, but the url is laurelberninteriorsdotcom. I am now located in Bronxville, NY but take clients from all over Westchester County.

best wishes,

Laurel Bern, owner of Laurel Bern Interiors

Old 12-21-2013, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,790 times
Oh my... I just read the other threads. There is a lot of misinformation on here and no offense to anyone, but just how do you suppose that a store with a hefty five figure a month RENT (just rent) manages to stay in business? That's why most of them have gone out of business! Their markups are hefty. You often see in a store... 40% OFF RETAIL! Sounds great, right?

wrong. What IS full retail??? I will tell you. It is anywhere between a markup of 110% to as much as 300% (quadruple the net price).

Almost everything is not made in this country any longer. Even if they say "made in the USA." Sure, it was assembled here. And again, there is a lot of fine furniture made elsewhere.

Also, designers, these days can often purchase at the same net price that the store does; not in all cases, but sometimes and then there are tiered levels. It all depends on the vendor and sometimes the amount the designer purchases from that vendor. Inexperienced designers may not realize that they can purchase directly from the vendor/manufacturer. Subsequently they will go to an intermediary source that sells to designers at a discount, but they are taking their cut too, of course. It took me years to realize that I could go directly to the source for purchases. In any case, the standard discount for the designer off of the retail is still a big number, even with the intermediary source or showroom.

If anyone has any further questions, I would very gladly speak with you more about this. I actually posted this thread on my business facebook wall! Hiring an interior designer is one of the wisest things you can do when furnishing your home. You WILL save money, time, aggravation (I have the grey hairs to prove it!) and avoid costly mistakes. And if you find someone you like, it should be FUN! I have great fun with my clients and I know that they do too! I love my work and I love helping people make their homes their own unique sanctuaries that are a reflection of themselves. My best and happy holidays! Laurel Bern, owner of Laurel Bern Interiors

Old 12-21-2013, 02:36 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelberninteriors View Post

Almost everything is not made in this country any longer. Even if they say "made in the USA." Sure, it was assembled here. And again, there is a lot of fine furniture made elsewhere.
While it is true that very few are made in the USA anymore, there are still several nice furniture places that I concentrate my purchases on that are truly bench-made in the USA: you can go to their factories and see it assembled frame to upholstery. A lot of what I am talking about is taking place in NC, VA, and a handful of other states. Companies like Room & Board and Younger furniture sell this kind of furniture. Still very high quality at a reasonable price and truly made in the usa.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 AM

759 posts, read 3,145,145 times
I believe even Sherwin Williams had a color consultant who would pick out complimentary colors and it was pretty cheap--I was offered it once while buying paint but I declined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating