Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optronik View Post
Thanks for the feedback. What difference would it make if the house should get sold ? According to my neighbor (who is in real estate) the buyers mostly will redo kitchen and bathroom anyway. So "half of the money would be wasted"...
Here's the deal. It doesn't matter for now. If you fix it up, the tenants are going to trash it anyway prior to selling it. If you can get you money back or even more, you can do these rooms in the future prior to putting it on the market. The market can change between now and when you sell it in the future. Make your decision at that time, not today.

The only way we can tell you if it's worth it, is if you tell us you bought it way below market value. You only said the property value is 60-80k. You didn't say what you paid for it. If you paid 20k for it, and you can get 80k for it with new bathrooms and kitchen, I'd say upgrade prior to putting it on the market, not now. If you paid 70k for it, don't bother, unless it was undervalued because of the kitchen and bathrooms and would be worth 100k with the upgrades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 12:29 AM

252 posts, read 580,726 times
It look perfectly fine. Just change the countertop and it will look great. !

Old 10-26-2013, 03:53 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Your call but I keep it, my next home gonna be like yours...Just something very homey and comfy feeling the newer homes lack, maybe it's history/charm and when life seem simpler ...The only thing I do different is remove wallpaper and switch out floor to a tile 50's deal... Lovely home enjoy......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optronik View Post
Yes, it is similar to the picture, but there is no wallpaper and the floor has the same tile color as the walls. So basically in the condition some of you have suggested. I would just need to paint the cabinets, (re-)grout the tiles and do some caulking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaliyahm22 View Post
It look perfectly fine. Just change the countertop and it will look great. !
If there is wall paper I would remove it. There are people who love this look (I'm one of them) and I
would NOT change the countertop since it is original and coordinates with the rest of the bathroom.
Hope you keep the cabinets white too.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:58 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
OMG if you have tile like that, don't you dare touch it.

Yes, original fixtures are highly coveted if they are in good condition. There is a big difference in updating and gutting. Why buy a vintage house at all if you don't appreciate its attributes?

http://savethepinkbathrooms.com/about/

Leave the original stuff that they don't make anymore, like original tile or heart pine paneling. If you must "modernize," paint instead of wallpaper. Replace 1970s flooring with new vintage-look tile.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:01 PM

170 posts, read 193,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Wallpaper and flooring need to be changed. Love the tile, cabinets and fixtures.
i LOVE this bathroom. i have a mid-50s ranch and i love my bathroom. yup, change the floor and remove the wallpaper and paint it and you are goot to go.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:05 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
Leave the countertop! That reminds me so much of my grandparents bathroom. Just about the same color tile. We had friends that modernized their 50's house by taking out the pink and black tile and putting in modern stuff. I was sorry but didn't say anything. Their house.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
If I had original 1950s tile and cabinetry that was in great shape in the bathroom, I'd definitely keep it. I probably would in the kitchen as well, if it was functional. Great, funky look in my opinion.

I HATE it when I see people rip out vintage tile that's in good shape and put in some trendy, bland stuff. I mean, why buy a mid century home with all that cool cabinetry and tile if you just want to rip it out and make it "new?" I mean, to each his own, but personally I cringe when I see that done.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Mid century modern seems to be in style now so I'd keep yours as it is.

That one looks more 90s style to me although the turquoise color was big in the 50s. No one had bathroom vanities in the 50s (that I can remember anyway) and no one would have covered them with tile if they DID have them. The wallpaper looks 70s or so. I agree with the floors, replace if they look like that.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:13 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If I had original 1950s tile and cabinetry that was in great shape in the bathroom, I'd definitely keep it. I probably would in the kitchen as well, if it was functional. Great, funky look in my opinion.

I HATE it when I see people rip out vintage tile that's in good shape and put in some trendy, bland stuff. I mean, why buy a mid century home with all that cool cabinetry and tile if you just want to rip it out and make it "new?" I mean, to each his own, but personally I cringe when I see that done.
I would love a 50's home with those features, including the old kitchens with the metal/enamel cabinets too. There were also those all aluminum homes (hard to find now). People are slowly moving towards
the restoration and historical preservation of that era.....but finding untouched homes is not easy.
If we are around long enough, my bet is that the 70's decor and features will make a comeback too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That one looks more 90s style to me although the turquoise color was big in the 50s. No one had bathroom vanities in the 50s (that I can remember anyway) and no one would have covered them with tile if they DID have them. The wallpaper looks 70s or so. I agree with the floors, replace if they look like that.
The expensive older homes in our midwest neighborhoods all had vanities with the tile counters and walls.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Maybe regions differ.

I sold real estate in Texas for many years. Luckily, this region abounds with high end homes built in the 1940s and 1950s, due to the oil boom that was going on in those decades. Tile vanities exactly as the one in the picture, and even more elaborate ones, were VERY common - the rule rather than the exception in fact - and such original tile and cabinets are very much sought after today in our market.

I had two AWESOME bathrooms in a home built in 1948 - I wish I had taken photos but this was before everything we did or had was photographed - LOL. One bathroom was two shades of green, with fabulous tile up the walls and on the vanity, with that gorgeous black and white little hexagon tile on the floor. The other was a funky but fun combo of two tones of small pink tile on the floor, with burgundy and gray tile on the walls and vanity. I had so much fun with those bathrooms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating