Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:19 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

Depending on what you spent to buy the place / what you hope to achieve I would strongly consider looking beyond the footprint of the existing space to perhaps "open up" what appears to be a very closed off / "dead end" type kitchen that is not conducive to more modern uses...

At a minium I would give serious thought to rethinking the layout of the whole space, while there is some charm to the cabinetry the counters do not provide nearly enough functionality for even the basics of meal prep let alone being the sort of kitchen that lends itself to any kind of casual entertaining. For that to work you really need to rethink the space in terms of what is happening in the adjacent rooms -- is there a formal dining room? How large is that? Is there any kind of "parlor" that could be incorporated into a more functional space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:35 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Depending on what you spent to buy the place / what you hope to achieve I would strongly consider looking beyond the footprint of the existing space to perhaps "open up" what appears to be a very closed off / "dead end" type kitchen that is not conducive to more modern uses...

At a minium I would give serious thought to rethinking the layout of the whole space, while there is some charm to the cabinetry the counters do not provide nearly enough functionality for even the basics of meal prep let alone being the sort of kitchen that lends itself to any kind of casual entertaining. For that to work you really need to rethink the space in terms of what is happening in the adjacent rooms -- is there a formal dining room? How large is that? Is there any kind of "parlor" that could be incorporated into a more functional space?
I can't/won't make the kitchen any bigger. There is a formal dining room right off of the kitchen that I don't plan to sacrifice as it has a lot of great original moldings and features I would hate to lose. I plan to work within the footprint and reconfigure the space. Adding counter space is a great idea-- I don't need all the cabinets and I think open shelving will really help to open up the small room. I also don't cook that much as there are dozens of fabulous restaurants right outside my door.

FWIW, this is a unit in a large city. The 12X7 kitchen is considered "big", believe it or not. Most condos/co-ops have an 8X7 or 8X6 galley kitchen with a 6X6 area for a table or a large open room where one finds a space for a table and chairs as well as a sofa , TV, and other living room furniture. This building is popular for its bigger kitchens and formal dining rooms, unique in my area. I know by the standards of the rest of the country this probably seems miniscule, but I am okay with the size.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times
Quote:

I moved to NYC from LA recently and am also buying an apartment (mine is a co-op). The OP's kitchen is a GREAT size compared to what I am looking at. I think it really depends on perspective/lifestyle. I know that people often judge a place by its kitchen, but in the city, many of us don't actually cook that much (though we might like to pretend we do!). There are AMAZING food options everywhere. And as for entertaining, I am far more likely to have a wine or cocktail party than a dinner party. I think the OP needs to consider his/her lifestyle before sacrificing half the apartment to a kitchen that may be only for show. Lifestyle really differs in the city than in the suburbs, and even so, it differs in a big east coast city than in other parts of the country.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:51 AM

It is not just the size it is configuration that is not conducive to modern uses -- the antiquated through the wall exhaust fan is downright scary looking, the solid doors really close off not just the other rooms but also make it impossible to showcase any design elements, though the high ceilings are visually appealing the configuration of the cabinetry does not take advantage of the space.

I have been in "vintage" apartments in NYC and Chicago's Gold Coast that have been carefully brought into the modern era with quality appliances, period approropriate cabinetry, fancy glass doors, eye-fooling mirrored surfaces and other touches that play off the scale and style of older eras while still vastly improving the appeal -- even if you only use the kitchen to heat up coffee and cool down champaign it still ought not look like a place that only a charwoman would be comfortable in!

Skilled designers and craftsmen will ENHANCE the charm of features like original moldings by carefully working them into newer configuration not just removing all traces of the past and giving you a generic blank slate. There is no charm in having a bottom of the line modern fridge, generic sink / faucet and cheap white gas range.

If your fears overwhelm you ability to see to new possibilities then why ask for help?

Old 12-28-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
It is not just the size it is configuration that is not conducive to modern uses -- the antiquated through the wall exhaust fan is downright scary looking, the solid doors really close off not just the other rooms but also make it impossible to showcase any design elements, though the high ceilings are visually appealing the configuration of the cabinetry does not take advantage of the space.

I have been in "vintage" apartments in NYC and Chicago's Gold Coast that have been carefully brought into the modern era with quality appliances, period approropriate cabinetry, fancy glass doors, eye-fooling mirrored surfaces and other touches that play off the scale and style of older eras while still vastly improving the appeal -- even if you only use the kitchen to heat up coffee and cool down champaign it still ought not look like a place that only a charwoman would be comfortable in!

Skilled designers and craftsmen will ENHANCE the charm of features like original moldings by carefully working them into newer configuration not just removing all traces of the past and giving you a generic blank slate. There is no charm in having a bottom of the line modern fridge, generic sink / faucet and cheap white gas range.

If your fears overwhelm you ability to see to new possibilities then why ask for help?

Wow, I am not the OP, but I would be offended by this comment! Clearly he/she asked for suggestions. When he/she responded that no walls are coming down, you shoot back with this?? Re-read the original posts-- new appliances, new floors, new space configuration are expected. The defensiveness seems un called for and less than constructive.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Wow, I am not the OP, but I would be offended by this comment! Clearly he/she asked for suggestions. When he/she responded that no walls are coming down, you shoot back with this?? Re-read the original posts-- new appliances, new floors, new space configuration are expected. The defensiveness seems un called for and less than constructive.
Yes, I asked for suggestions. No, I am not tearing down walls. This does not mean I am afraid-- it means that I like the layout of the apartment and the size of the kitchen is fine with me.

Yes, I plan to redo the layout, get new appliances, floors and update the whole space. I plan to tear out certain cabinets, put in a dishwasher, move things around, add shelving, new lights, etc. I said all of this.

Some people just have a bone to pick! I have seen this on other threads I have had about this project/similar projects. If you don't agree with their suggestions, suddenly "why are you asking for suggestions?" Clearly, THEIRS are the right ones.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 AM

Wow, when any person "puts their foot down" with regard to absolutely not considering "opening up" the space to other rooms that really limits what advice is useful.

In my experince renovating homes that I have lived in and rented out, many of which did have original Pre-WWII details, I have used a variety of options including things are simple as glass paneled doors to make rooms seem less claustrophobic. If that is too radical an "opening up" then perhaps there is nothing helpful to offer.

I don't really understand why one would want a formal dining room if they do not intend to use the adjacent kitchen to cook meals for family / friends. Similarly a dishwasher is completely unnecessary for those who only eat out.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Wow, when any person "puts their foot down" with regard to absolutely not considering "opening up" the space to other rooms that really limits what advice is useful.

In my experince renovating homes that I have lived in and rented out, many of which did have original Pre-WWII details, I have used a variety of options including things are simple as glass paneled doors to make rooms seem less claustrophobic. If that is too radical an "opening up" then perhaps there is nothing helpful to offer.

I don't really understand why one would want a formal dining room if they do not intend to use the adjacent kitchen to cook meals for family / friends. Similarly a dishwasher is completely unnecessary for those who only eat out.
I plan to put in new doors. I do not plan to tear down any walls. I don't think that is crazy, sorry. I never said putting in doors was radical. Those are your words. In fact, I never mentioned anything about it.

I hate washing dishes. Sometimes I need to wash my coffee mugs.

A dining room is more useful for entertaining than a kitchen, at least to me. Who wants to look at your fridge while drinking a martini? A dining room can double as an office space if needed, or even be closed off and re-oriented for an extra guest room. The dining room, to me, has a ton more possibilities than a kitchen. A kitchen is always a kitchen.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:

You have some very strong opinions. I didn't see that in the OP's posts. Moving a wall can be expensive and unneeded.

Why do you seem offended that the OP says they don't cook much?

Can we get back to the topic?

Old 12-28-2013, 10:23 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
If the tile is original and in good shape - leave it! I would work with it. The same with the cabinets. My suggestion is a new floor and new countertops. Is marble within budget? What shape are faucets/lamps in? A counter depth fridge if possible with cabinetry veneer or a repro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating