Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:05 AM

5 posts, read 26,722 times

Advertisements

I need some help with furniture layout in living/family room

Can you offer your feedback on furniture layout in our living/family room. We plan to use the area as a family room. It will include a TV (location to be determined) and will be used primarily as a family room and area to converge.

The dimensions of our furniture are:

Sofa Dimensions: 89'' W x 36.5'' D x 34'' H
Loveseat Dimensions: 64'' W x 36.5'' D x 34'' H
Two side tables - 20" diameter[*]Coffee table - 36"W x 24"D x 18"H
Chair(s) - haven't purchased yet.

For your reference, please see the layout of the living/family room below:

If you can update the floor plan to include your proposed furniture layout, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
That's a weird floorplan, IMHO...too many weird spaces..also as soon as you step in your confronted with stairs. The bay window is at a weird location..

Anyway, my thoughts....

Put the sofa and loveseat in the center of that large "living room". The sofa would be vertical, and the loveseat horizontal so that it is an "L" shape. TV stand/entertainment center/wall mount TV can then go by the wall. An area rug would work.

At the north facing window, two accent chairs -- one on each corner, turned -- would work, with a smaller area rug and a nice floor lamp. You could also opt for an electric fireplace or a console table maybe for that wall to the left (the one marked 8') and one large nice chair to the right (at an angle) with a floor lamp. I'm trying to cozy up that area.

Do NOT put that dining room table where it is located on the drawing. I'd move it up, closer to the slider.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Last time you posted this you got good information, mainly that your floor plan was really strange and to fix that first. Your biggest issue is that closet in the living area. Take that out and you can then center your tv on that right wall and eliminate all of your issues with furniture placement.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Golfgal is right, that closet being there is definitely out of place. I don't know what the purpose is of that door to the outside on the far left. That kitchen island would look better if it was more "boomerang shaped" vs. rectangular. The area with the bay window would be a perfect living space, but it has that illogically placed door. To be honest, that entire floorplan is a mishmash of things and nothing appears to be in synch. No wonder furniture placement can be difficult.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:17 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
To be honest, that entire floorplan is a mishmash of things and nothing appears to be in synch. No wonder furniture placement can be difficult.
Yep.
I have seen thousands of floorplans over the years.... and this one wins "Worst Floorplan EVER", hands down!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
So you officially didn't like any of the plans offered to you in the other thread?

Can you be specific why you didn't like them?

What is going on off the kitchen by the windows? That is a lot of space.

I think they were very doable and you probably won't get many different ideas this time around. Have you put the furniture where it was suggested? Take a picture that shows the furniture in these places and why you don't like it. Maybe you just need to put the furniture in and live with it a few days.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:17 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
After some thought I came up with a few comments

I wouldn't like the bathroom being exposed to the family room like that so I would extend a wall and possibly close it off from the family room. See the red wall on the diagram.

Add a wall by the stairs to house the TV and entertainment equipment

Take out the closet as has been suggested. A closet is really needed in this level but the one in the family room just doesn't work. Add a closet:
• in the kitchen as shown
• or on the left side of the stairway
• or on the left side of the bathroom wall

This is pretty much to scale if you want to do the old cut and layout to move things around. Use the blank one here and then use the filled one to cut the furniture from it.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:38 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
As others have pointed out, that's a very, very, very odd floor plan. Is this a house you have already bought or are building?

I can't figure out why there's so much extra space in the kitchen/dining room area? Was THAT area intended to be a "country kitchen" kind of room, with a gathering/TV area in the front (where the bay window is) -- with the dining table nearer the sliding glass doors (instead of plopped in the middle where it looks really odd)? Personally I would make the living room a more formal area and put the TV in the other "room," but I realize a lot of people don't need or want 2 living areas.

(And to the poster who wrote about stairs being right at the entry: that's very common in colonial-style houses, although the rest of this particular floor plan doesn't go with that style, so I can't figure it out either!)

ETA: just realized the OP hasn't been back for a week. Maybe he doesn't like being told how odd the floor plan is? (I hope he isn't the architect who designed it!! )

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 02-05-2014 at 12:47 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 05:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
The floor plan isn't that awful. I've been in a house just like this. It's was an older house. It seems the OP's kitchen was opened up. That's what is throwing it off.

It's sad that everyone is saying it's an odd floor plan. It's what the OP has. Why can't people work within the parameters that can't be changed?

I'd put two closets to the right of the stairwell. This will create an entry hall and a proper hall for the bathroom. Have one door opening into the entry hall and the other door opening towards the bathroom.

Move the dining room table over to the room on the right. Have a casual family room in the room with the kitchen.

Alternately, the OP can get a smaller dining table and utilize the kitchen room as a great room with a seating area and a dining area.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:17 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The floor plan isn't that awful. I've been in a house just like this. It's was an older house. It seems the OP's kitchen was opened up. That's what is throwing it off.

It's sad that everyone is saying it's an odd floor plan. It's what the OP has. Why can't people work within the parameters that can't be changed?

I'd put two closets to the right of the stairwell. This will create an entry hall and a proper hall for the bathroom. Have one door opening into the entry hall and the other door opening towards the bathroom.

Move the dining room table over to the room on the right. Have a casual family room in the room with the kitchen.

Alternately, the OP can get a smaller dining table and utilize the kitchen room as a great room with a seating area and a dining area.
I like this idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating