Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

I am a lamp fanatic. I admit it. I hate overhead lighting and adore the intimate glow of a well placed lamp.

I'm just as fixated on the lamp shade as I am the base of the lamp. I will bling one up if I can't find the perfect shade. I have been known to spend $200 on a lamp shade (see below).

I am glad I have four grown kids that I can give my "used lamps" to because I tend to rotate them out! My husband is puzzled by this fixation, but to me, lighting makes or breaks a room.

Here are a few of my favorite lamps:

This is my all time favorite lamp - the one with the $200 lamp shade. But come on - it's PERFECT for this base! Surely you see why I had to buy it! This base is from Germany - it is from the early 1920s, and it's all one piece of wood, carved. It's Jugendstil style. I had to get it wired for the US, and then of course it needed a shade. I tried not to spend $200 on the shade, but when I put it on the base...well, you see what happened. It had to come home with me.

I had fun blinging this one up!

Newest acquisition - I bought a pair of these for my living room. Not sure if you can tell it, but the bases light up and they look like stained glass - very cool! I had to replace the boring lamp shades that came with them, but I think these are nicely understated:

How 'bout this for a little piece of fun? This lamp is tiny, but I think it packs a solid little punch!

I really like this lamp - it was not very expensive, so I splurged on the trim, which WAS expensive!

I love these lamps on my buffet - the shades are some sort of glimmery threads:

OK,I have two of these on my vanity - and I got them at the Dollar Store! I think they are precious!

I would love to buy one of those fabulous light fixtures that look like they are a suspended shelf holding about twenty candles of varying heights, for over my dining room table but that will have to wait till we move, because our current chandelier matches the other light fixtures in our open floor plan. But one of these days....!!!

Share some of your favorite lamps - ones that you have and ones that you want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
What a gorgeous buffet!

For ambiance, I have one of these, from Ikea: Stranne (I tried to get a photo of it in my living room but was having trouble getting the pic to turn out nice. I'll try tomorrow when there's daylight.)

And I have a pair of these in the bedroom. I love the sparkly little 'belt' around the lampshade. The lampshade is a faintly metallic silk shantung.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
What a gorgeous buffet!

For ambiance, I have one of these, from Ikea: Stranne (I tried to get a photo of it in my living room but was having trouble getting the pic to turn out nice. I'll try tomorrow when there's daylight.)

And I have a pair of these in the bedroom. I love the sparkly little 'belt' around the lampshade. The lampshade is a faintly metallic silk shantung.
Thank you!

Oooh, I love those lamps. I always really enjoy seeing photos of your decorating, because your style is so different from mine but so attractive!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:43 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
I'm going to use stock photos for now until I get better pictures of them in our space if that is OK. These are some of my favorite lamps we own:

Classic, mid-century style arcing floor lamp with marble base (dimmable):

Brushed nickle swing-arm contemporary floor lamp

black and gold task lamp

slate blue tripod floor lamp

black nickel lamp (on my nightstand). it's touch-lamp which works out great on a nightstand!

And then of course this is not a lamp, but it is my favorite overhead light in the house: our classic george nelson bubble lamp (criss-cross variety)

Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 AM

Nice! I LOVE that nightstand lamp especially!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nice! I LOVE that nightstand lamp especially!
Thank you! And just to clarify - the nightstand lamp is also a stock photo but in our house it is on my nightstand. I re-read my post and it was a little confusing so I just wanted to clarify . It is very handy because I can reach over and just tap it when I am groggy, tired, and don't want to open my eyes or fumble for a switch in the mornings lol.

I will have to look at other peoples' pictures at home. They are blocked at work haha

Hopefully I will be able to get pictures of these lamps in our house soon! My wife and I love lamps. At night when we have guests over, it's almost nothing but lamps because the mood of the lighting is so much nicer.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Here my favorite, I stalked this lamp for over a year, it was custom made, then the guy flaked out, I would've bought it on sight but the price kept me back...It was original 900.00 over the year I kept going back in, I told the gal it was mine, she laugh... So over the year I kept dropping in 900, 850, 800 on and on, then 299...I bought it, the gal was like finally and you were right must had your name on it...That was 6 years ago I still love it! Stain glass, wood~

Old 01-29-2014, 11:50 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you!

Oooh, I love those lamps. I always really enjoy seeing photos of your decorating, because your style is so different from mine but so attractive!
Ditto! I love how warm and inviting your house always looks. You use such a rich color palette and I'm impressed at how it looks cosy and friendly rather than dark and foreboding!

It's fun, isn't it? There are so many pretty things out there and so many possible ways one could decorate. I love seeing rooms that are done so differently than my own. It's really interesting to see how some of my neighbors have decorated their space and made their units feel so different to my own.

Jamiecta, I LOVE all of those lamps. I really like MCM - I have a similar ceiling light, it's the chandelier in my dining room.

Oh, and I found a pic that shows that Ikea Stranne lamp!

This is a fun thread. I've been meaning to buy some new lighting for my living room, I think this thread will definitely inspire me.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:15 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Love these lamps, I like lined lampshades as they give an nice soft glow.. is a buffet another word for sideboard.. Ive never heard it before..

Old 01-29-2014, 02:10 PM

5 posts, read 13,511 times
I plan on buying a lamp for my living room that will stand on my dresser or end table. I think it will have a light shade too, maybe like something in these photos.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating