Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 10:01 PM

5 posts, read 16,341 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved into a new house when we moved to Honolulu, and basically the downstairs is a long rectangle that will contain the dining room table set (light oak color), a chocolate couch (newly purchased), a buffet (medium oak), and a desk (dark cherry/medium oak), and a TV stand (dark cherry).

In our previous house we had these things in three separate rooms. The dining room table and buffet are not bad together as they are both medium/light and were in the same room. The living room was mostly dark. The desk was by itself and dark.

Wondering if we should be shopping for new furniture or just not really care if it matches and consider the "rectangle" as three separate rooms...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 11:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Define the rectangle's "rooms" with carpets or furniture placement. Arrange things together to function well, and look to see how they harmonize. Also, are there pieces which don't function well?

Then edit. Get rid of things that don't work well with others, or that don't function well for their purposes. Your eye will tell you if a piece doesn't work well with the others.

In general, a room full of dark furniture should be able to accommodate one or two pieces of light wood, and vice versa. But once you see things together , you know whether or not they work together.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:39 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
Congrats on moving to Honolulu, my favorite city! There are ways to make the furniture work. But what are the styles of the furniture? Are they all the same, like all contemporary? It would help to include a photo when you get time.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:07 PM

78 posts, read 125,717 times
I have found that you can have a room with many tones of wood and it looks really beautiful and you can have a room with only one wood tone which also looks nice but you can't have a room with all one tone and only one different piece tossed in as it looks mismatched. Having a mix is pleasing to the eye if it's spread throughout the room and all of one color isn't on one side of the room and all of another color on the other side. You can internet search "How to Mix Wood Finishes in Any Room" and find additional information and pictures for help. I have several rooms in my house with multiple wood finishes and love it.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searching4info View Post
I have found that you can have a room with many tones of wood and it looks really beautiful and you can have a room with only one wood tone which also looks nice but you can't have a room with all one tone and only one different piece tossed in as it looks mismatched. Having a mix is pleasing to the eye if it's spread throughout the room and all of one color isn't on one side of the room and all of another color on the other side. You can internet search "How to Mix Wood Finishes in Any Room" and find additional information and pictures for help. I have several rooms in my house with multiple wood finishes and love it.
I would be happy in a room with a mix of woods, but I don't agree that one accent piece would disrupt a room with furniture in one wood tone. It all depends. A room full of mahogany and one rustic blue piece would probably be odd, but there are many combinations that would work. In the same mahogany room, a black piece would probably be outstanding.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:49 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Sounds like all of that would work out fine together in one room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating