Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:50 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
It depends, some companies are better than others a mimicking natural stone, and thus far, I have not seen any quartz that does a good job at mimicking marble. I think Ceaserstone does a better job at mimicking some granites. Here's an example of their quartz that mimics granite, it's not for everyone though. If I were to get quartz, I'd probably get the modern looking stuff with specks of sparkles. I would want my quartz to look like what it is, man made quartz, not granite or marble.
I think that might have been the case when quartz first started becoming popular but these days, there are so many options and I think there are many choices that are a good choice for someone who wants a marble look.

This blog shows a few of the options that are available. kitchen reno: choosing quartz countertops - the sweetest digs

I keep going back and forth between wanting a marble-look quartz counter or using marble tile for a backsplash. I don't think I want both but I am not sure what I'd do for the counters if I don't get the marble look for those.

I'm still a few years out from doing this, so I guess I have some time to figure it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 09:15 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I'm just about ready to change my mind about quartz and order granite for our new home. At first I choose quartz because of maintenance free use but after doing lots of online research....at least hours every day for more than a week...I've decided on granite. The reason is because granite I know for SURE I can put hot things on straight from the oven. I have had granite for the past 8 years and I admit I have never sealed it. I don't even know if the builder sealed it. There is a stain where we had a dripping soap dispenser but I found on line how to remove stains so that is not a problem. The have-to-seal- it -yearly saw is apparently a myth created by...wait for it...the manufacturers of sealer. And if it was true it only takes a few minutes So no big deal.

I've read too many reviews even from the installers, kitchen designers, etc who say don't put hot things on it and even that crock pots, electric fry pans, etc can cause quartz to crack. It only stands to reason that granite can take heat better than quartz because of the resin in quartz.

so I'm going back to the builder to choose granite.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:13 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I don't like busy/swirly patterns. I like things simple and sleek, so we have black granite. Just black (albeit with speckles of silver). Paired with clear stained maple cabinets and brazilian cherry flooring, our kitchen looks great. We also considered black quartz.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:11 AM

914 posts, read 1,138,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think that might have been the case when quartz first started becoming popular but these days, there are so many options and I think there are many choices that are a good choice for someone who wants a marble look.

This blog shows a few of the options that are available. kitchen reno: choosing quartz countertops - the sweetest digs

I keep going back and forth between wanting a marble-look quartz counter or using marble tile for a backsplash. I don't think I want both but I am not sure what I'd do for the counters if I don't get the marble look for those.

I'm still a few years out from doing this, so I guess I have some time to figure it out!
If you wanted to be cost effective, I would do a quartz countertop, all white, with a marble backsplash. It's probably a more practical option as well.

I highly recommend quartzite, not to be confused with quartz, which mimics marble, but is a natural stone and more durable than marble.

This is my quartzite countertop during its installation. It's not exactly like marble, but it's a light gray background with veining, similar to marble. It wasn't cheap, but I shopped around and found a 3K difference between two fabricators, so it's definitely worth pricing it at various places.
Attached Thumbnails
Quartz or Granite Countertops-couters.jpg  

Old 05-17-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
If you wanted to be cost effective, I would do a quartz countertop, all white, with a marble backsplash. It's probably a more practical option as well.

I highly recommend quartzite, not to be confused with quartz, which mimics marble, but is a natural stone and more durable than marble.

This is my quartzite countertop during its installation. It's not exactly like marble, but it's a light gray background with veining, similar to marble. It wasn't cheap, but I shopped around and found a 3K difference between two fabricators, so it's definitely worth pricing it at various places.
This is kind of my sticking point, I love the look of a marble tile backsplash but I do not really like a solid white counter. I have a large island and just two very small bits of countertop that would butt up against the backsplash so I'd have this big expanse of plain white which is not appealing to me at all.

At this point, I'm thinking of getting something different for the island. Pick out something - quartz or granite - that's kind of a show stopper and then figure out the backsplash and the other two small bits of counter top based around that.

If I won the lottery, I'd be getting this but since it's something like $400 a sq ft, that's not gonna happen.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:39 PM

Those geode countertops are too busy for me. Remember the old adage, "less is more." I've found that if you pair a white counter with a gorgeous marble backsplash, the look is very refined and elegant. White countertops are also perfect for a splash of color with a vase of flowers or some fiestaware, colorful cookie jar, or other decorative object. If you can do the marble backsplash to the ceiling in some parts, it will also increase the drama and elegance, but not look too busy or over the top. Marble is timeless and classic, and solid white countertops are a beautiful compliment if you can't afford matching marble.

You could also do butcherblock for the island, or a contrasting solid color like dark gray or black. There is one dark quartzite that I love, which is black, with light gray and white veining, but its very very very expensive.

You have to like it though.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:48 PM

I like your photo with the white counter up against the marble tile. But my issue is the island, which doesn't butt up against a wall, and is just sitting out in the middle of the great room (very open floor plan). So I really want the island to be the focal point and a white counter isn't a show piece.

Obviously, if I did end up getting something like the geode countertop, everything else would be VERY understated.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I like your photo with the white counter up against the marble tile. But my issue is the island, which doesn't butt up against a wall, and is just sitting out in the middle of the great room (very open floor plan). So I really want the island to be the focal point and a white counter isn't a show piece.

Obviously, if I did end up getting something like the geode countertop, everything else would be VERY understated.
I just think the geode countertop would take away too much attention from the rest of the kitchen. It's not that I don't like the color, but all the shapes/pieces/sizes just explode at you visually, and if you had a beautiful marble backsplash, it would take away from that.

Maybe something like this countertop would be more appropriate for your island if you like that blue color family.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I just think the geode countertop would take away too much attention from the rest of the kitchen. It's not that I don't like the color, but all the shapes/pieces/sizes just explode at you visually, and if you had a beautiful marble backsplash, it would take away from that.

Maybe something like this countertop would be more appropriate for your island if you like that blue color family.
Oh, I absolutely wouldn't have a marble backsplash if I got that counter though! It would be something very, very plain.

It's kind of a trade off on whether I want the backsplash to be the focal point or the island, and I am leaning towards the island. Today, anyway. Ask me next week, I may have changed my mind again! lol!

And there really isn't any "rest of the kitchen" - it's very small, all against one wall, and the island in front of it, in the middle of a big open room that is kitchen, living room, dining room all in one.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:

I hope you have better luck with your quartzite than we had with ours. We paid a pretty penny for a striking quartzite counter top for our island. Wow, it was beautiful. But guess what - it etched and stained when we accidentally got some pickle juice on it (first time) and red wine on it (second time). After the second stain, we called our contractor and sent over pictures and they came out and replaced the top with a teak top. It's not as pretty but it is tougher.

We were told that though this stone was called quartzite, apparently it was not a pure quartzite. It was very disappointing.

Ours looked very similar to yours, very beautiful - but believe me, this stuff was not tough. I was shocked and I hated that it didn't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating