Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 07:37 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,560,959 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of buying a first floor 15 year old condo and it is on a concrete slab. It presently has carpeting throughout with the exception of the bathrooms and kitchen.

The carpeting will be replaced. I would prefer some sort of engineered wood to replace the carpeting. I am just not sure if I should do everything in engineered hardwood or if perhaps the bedrooms should be carpeted.

It is a 1200 square foot condo, I have just retired and plan to spend the next 20+ years here. The condo is wheelchair accessible (so I can age in place) and I have a cat that when he does decide to throw up seems to prefer doing so on carpet rather than a non carpeted surface.

I am leaning toward engineered hardwood to replace all of the carpeting, but, some have suggested doing the bedrooms with carpeting.

The condo association requires carpeting for second floor condos to reduce noise, but, permits hardwood flooring in first floor condos. I think hardwood flooring throughout would be a better choice to "age in place". But, I am open to hear any reasoning as to why carpeting might be a better choice for the bedrooms.

Carpeting in the bedrooms? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Mary2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Carpeting is a hazard for wheelchairs and for 'shuffling feet'.

We just pulled up all our carpet in the bedrooms... and we LOVE the hardwood. We DO have a few area rugs for color.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Carpeting is a hazard for wheelchairs and for 'shuffling feet'.

We just pulled up all our carpet in the bedrooms... and we LOVE the hardwood. We DO have a few area rugs for color.
Pitt Chick,

Thanks for confirming I am on the right track! Area rugs can always be removed if I get to the point that they become a tripping hazard.

Mary2014

Old 05-13-2014, 12:20 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,570 times
I'm also in a condo, and carpet is required in the bedrooms so I'm envious that you have the option of hardwood!

Definitely go for hardwood in the bedroom. You can use small area rugs if you want to step on something fluffy when you get out of bed.

It'll be much easier to keep clean, and if you feel like redecorating every now and then, you can easily change the look of the floor with throw rugs or area rugs.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I'm also in a condo, and carpet is required in the bedrooms so I'm envious that you have the option of hardwood!

Definitely go for hardwood in the bedroom. You can use small area rugs if you want to step on something fluffy when you get out of bed.

It'll be much easier to keep clean, and if you feel like redecorating every now and then, you can easily change the look of the floor with throw rugs or area rugs.
I can understand the condo stipulation that an upper floor condo require carpeting except for the kitchen and bath areas. It would minimize the noise for the condo below . But, are you saying that you are permitted to have hardwood flooring in the living/dining room, but, not in the bedrooms? Trying to understand the logic for such a rule.

The condo rules for the condo I will be buying simply state that second floor condos must have carpeting ( except for the bathroom and kitchen areas).

Mary2014

Old 07-04-2014, 10:04 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
I was glad to find this thread and the enthusiasm for hardwood in the bedrooms. I'm starting a new build and finalizing my design options this coming week. I already selected hardwood for the downstairs, but reluctantly picked carpeting out for upstairs. But it hasn't been sitting right with me, and finally today I decided that unless it ends up being cost prohibitive, I'm putting hardwood upstairs too.

I just hope the quote comes back where I think it will, based on the numbers I have for the downstairs.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,221,356 times
You didn't say where you are located but up here where I live I couldn't fathom a winter without carpet in the bedroom. Had that when we were little and froze everyday. I suppose one could put heated floors but it's too much for me.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:35 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Hardwood is fine unless you have problems with your back and/or feet, then it can make them worse.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:29 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
I'm in Denver so it can get cold, but this is for new construction which is designed to be very energy efficient so I think my feet will be fine. I can always put down area rugs in the bedrooms if I want.

And I'm currently in the process of pulling up some carpeting in my current home to have tile put down. Now that I see what is underneath even when it's carpeting that is vacuumed regularly, I am even more convinced that hardwood is the way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating