Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 AM

2,417 posts, read 2,989,141 times

Advertisements

I don't consider myself an art snob, but I do definitely prefer original works or at least signed prints over mass produced prints. I'd take a quasi-talented local artist's original painting over a copy of a masterpiece any day. Like KathrynAragon, I'm lucky that I have family members and a godmother who are serious artists, so we have paintings of people and places that we know. Unfortunately, I seem to missing that gene. We also have some things from local artists and a few things from our travels. I had a mass-produced print over the sofa and although I liked it, it felt wrong because there was no real connection to it. I've replaced it with something wonderful, something with a memory and a story, but I had to find a temporary framing solution. Framing is so expensive! It's in an old borrowed frame with glass from the hardware store for now. Eventually I want to find the perfect frame and have it done properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 08:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I don't consider myself an art snob, but I do definitely prefer original works or at least signed prints over mass produced prints. I'd take a quasi-talented local artist's original painting over a copy of a masterpiece any day. Like KathrynAragon, I'm lucky that I have family members and a godmother who are serious artists, so we have paintings of people and places that we know. Unfortunately, I seem to missing that gene. We also have some things from local artists and a few things from our travels. I had a mass-produced print over the sofa and although I liked it, it felt wrong because there was no real connection to it. I've replaced it with something wonderful, something with a memory and a story, but I had to find a temporary framing solution. Framing is so expensive! It's in an old borrowed frame with glass from the hardware store for now. Eventually I want to find the perfect frame and have it done properly.
I know the feeling! How come my mother, and all her sisters, and my own daughter get that painting gene and it completely missed me???

Actually, I'm very artistic, but oil painting, even acrylic painting on canvas is just not my forte. Not at ALL. I really admire those who have mastered that medium though.

Now - I can paint a mural on a wall - like a sport logo, that sort of thing, or a company logo. You want a ten foot tall bulldog on your wall - I'm your gal! I'm good with signage. I also really enjoy refinishing furniture - I can even do faux finishes, stenciling, etc. But painting on canvas? I am a goober.

So - I paint walls, and doors, and cabinetry, etc and let someone else do the framed artwork!

Old 07-25-2014, 08:45 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I know the feeling! How come my mother, and all her sisters, and my own daughter get that painting gene and it completely missed me???

Actually, I'm very artistic, but oil painting, even acrylic painting on canvas is just not my forte. Not at ALL. I really admire those who have mastered that medium though.

Now - I can paint a mural on a wall - like a sport logo, that sort of thing, or a company logo. You want a ten foot tall bulldog on your wall - I'm your gal! I'm good with signage. I also really enjoy refinishing furniture - I can even do faux finishes, stenciling, etc. But painting on canvas? I am a goober.

So - I paint walls, and doors, and cabinetry, etc and let someone else do the framed artwork!
You're still an artist, it just takes a different route than being a painter. I think the definition of an artist is that they are driven to create. Doesn't matter if you're refinishing a piece of furniture, writing music, dancing ballet, or sculpting a statue....its all good.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Art is in the eye of the beholder. Funny how audio many seem to have trouble remembering that.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:36 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Art is in the eye of the beholder. Funny how audio many seem to have trouble remembering that.
Sorry, statements like that aren't right. That cheapens the work of artists who have undergone a lot of time and effort to perfect techniques and mediums. That's like saying every person who writes a letter is a writer. They're not. Having family who are artists and seeing both the education and work they put into their work, I think it's insulting to cast aside their efforts by saying any old thing could be considered fine art.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:24 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I don't think I have a theme per se, but my house does have a country feel. It's not cutesy, and I'm not a collector at all, but selected hard furnishings are painted. Maybe cottage would be the best description? A comfortable simplicity is my goal. Clutter is my nemesis!

Old 07-25-2014, 11:51 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't think I have a theme per se, but my house does have a country feel. It's not cutesy, and I'm not a collector at all, but selected hard furnishings are painted. Maybe cottage would be the best description? A comfortable simplicity is my goal. Clutter is my nemesis!
Me too, I think a little "crummy" mixed in with new, makes things more cozy.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Me too, I think a little "crummy" mixed in with new, makes things more cozy.

I agree with both of you. I like well worn pieces myself - pieces that tell a story. In fact, I really don't care much personally for sleek, clean lines and bright, unworn finishes - but I can admire them in other peoples' homes. I just can't make myself go there in my own home.

Honestly, I think just about every piece of furniture and even most of the textiles in my home have a story. I get very emotionally attached to items because I don't buy them to create a look - I buy them to express myself and because something in them beckons me. And I mean that even with bathroom rugs or throw pillows! Don't even get me started on bedding, art, and occasional furniture (especially tables and lamps - LAMPS LAMPS LAMPS ).

I am proud of myself this go 'round though with our recent move. I decluttered a LOT. For instance, though as you can imagine, I dearly love my grandmother's Fiestaware, I gave the entire collection to my daughter - it's in good hands. I also gave her just about any artwork or bedding that didn't really have a deep meaning to me (for instance, if I just liked the colors but it wasn't an heirloom or a gift). I printed off a bunch of family photos and put them in photo albums and gave the framed ones to my kids - limiting the family photos to one shelf in the den and one small shelf in each guest room, rather than a long hallway/gallery.

I also got rid of every single kitchen/dining/serving item that I hadn't used in two years - which was a LOT. I gave away useless appliances (useless to me, anyway). I gave away tons of clothes and shoes. I gave away a lot of books - not classic books, but books that weren't awesome - that were really just good for one read on a beach vacation, that sort of thing.

I am also very blessed to have a great storage closet beneath the stairs. I put shelves in there and I am storing seasonal doodads there - so I can rotate out some items, even some art and throw pillows, that sort of thing.

I LEARNED THAT I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE EVERYTHING ON DISPLAY ALL THE DANG TIME.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
My theme is probably "shiny" or "sparkly".

I LOVE Hollywood a Regency, but live in a very urban modern loft space so true Hollywood Regency wouldn't work with my space. But it's the dominant influence. Lots of mirror furniture, stainless steel& white leather chairs, glass, zebra rug, very sparkly lighting. Lots of metallic accents & accessories.

Most of my art is original pieces either by local artists from places I've lived or have visited. This is where I deviate from hollywood Regency! I like really colorful modern and abstract art. I love graffiti art in particular, although I also like pop art.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:20 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I'm obsessed with linen lately. Love the fabric but so do my cats! Thus, even though I love it, I have to live without it. I think I've always been drawn to a cottage style with coastal overtones. To me, I love the easy feel of cottage furnishings. The type of things where you don't worry about if it gets a ding or a scratch. Of course, I've always been obsessed with white - goes with the whole cottage theme.
I don't really like white but I am really feeling the cottage/coastal lately. Maybe I just want to live by the water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
My "theme" is that I am trying to get to the point where everything I have, it's because I love it - not because I already own it or because it was free or inexpensive or whatever. I have to love it. I'm doing pretty well, probably about 60% there, although that calculation may change when I move into my new house, as some things I have now may not work as well there. I do plan a few tweaks though, like painting the currently antique brass base for the coffee table an antique pewter.

Overall, my style is transitional, which allows me to blend everything from art deco to more modern pieces. I don't like things that are too ornate or fussy, but modern is a bit too stark so transitional with some older and some more modern elements is the right midpoint for me.
Sounds a lot like me. I bolded what you said because I am at a place in my life where I can usually afford to buy what I like. I was talking to a friend one day about something I wish I had bought and never did. (Then it wasn't available anymore.) And she told me to always think, "Would I regret not having this? Would I be annoyed at myself for not getting it?" Now I use that to justify my spending. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't "update" things just for the sake of doing so, or because something has gone out of fashion. Even if I don't like something, it usually stays until it no longer functions.

My ugly kitchen floor has just reached the "no longer functions" category. Yay.
I guess I'm talking more in terms of decor than function. But, I am also excited to get rid of my broken bathroom door and I can't wait to move the light switch out of the bathtub! (Terrifies all of my guests.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love art, and have a lot of original art, thanks to several family members who paint well, and some really good finds over the years at art exhibits and even second hand stores.

But I'm drawn to particular colors and I guess I've been consistently drawn to them my whole life because my art DOES match my furniture.

And I have a painting above my sofa in our office that we found in a furniture store. I'm sure it's mass produced but I don't care because I LOVE the scene and it "spoke" to both of us the second we saw it (it looks exactly like the pond and boat from our family's vacation home).

I like original art but I'm definitely not an art snob either. (Not saying anyone else on the thread is.) If I like it, I buy it. BUT - I don't want some random piece of art that doesn't flow with the rest of my house either.
I am of the opinion that if you like it, who cares if it's mass produced or not? But I am also the same way---I am always drawn to the same few colors and then all of my stuff looks sort of the same. Then I try to branch out a little and regret it. Ahhh---I've just learned to buy stuff I like and enjoy it.

I guess I rarely come across original art that I like. What can I say---I'm a scientist I don't know too many artists. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating