Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 PM

216 posts, read 756,275 times

Advertisements

which one is more durable and easy to clean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
We have slate on an enclosed porch and porcelain tile indoors in the kitchen.

Love the natural look of the slate but but it's irregular, porous, collects dirt, and needs resealing (multiple coats) every couple of years. Personally, I would never use it indoors.

The porcelain is easily the most durable and easy-to-clean surface I've ever lived with. All I do is damp mop it with detergent and water. Some folks say they've needed to regrout from time-to-time but we haven't done so nor have we ever resealed it in the 20+ years we've had it. Ours has a 1/8" grout line and the grout color is very near the same color as the tile, so it barely shows.
It's my understanding that porcelain and ceramic are virtually the same, with ceramic being slightly less dense, so I'd think much the same holds for ceramic.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:12 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,058,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We have slate on an enclosed porch and porcelain tile indoors in the kitchen.

Love the natural look of the slate but but it's irregular, porous, collects dirt, and needs resealing (multiple coats) every couple of years. Personally, I would never use it indoors.

The porcelain is easily the most durable and easy-to-clean surface I've ever lived with. All I do is damp mop it with detergent and water. Some folks say they've needed to regrout from time-to-time but we haven't done so nor have we ever resealed it in the 20+ years we've had it. Ours has a 1/8" grout line and the grout color is very near the same color as the tile, so it barely shows.
It's my understanding that porcelain and ceramic are virtually the same, with ceramic being slightly less dense, so I'd think much the same holds for ceramic.
biscuitmom,

Totally agree! We have slate in the kitchen.....never again! It is a Pain to keep clean. The slate is bad enough but the grout lines are a PITA!

I wouldn't even do ceramic in the kitchen, porcelain is the way to go. Porcelain is fired at a much higher temperature so it is a harder material with tighter dimensional tolerances. The grout lines can be narrower because the tiles are flatter and nearly identical.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 PM

216 posts, read 756,275 times
What is "resealing" of slate? I saw some slate samples, the faces are not leveled very well, giving you a rusty feel. I can imaging it will be hard to sweep slate floor using a broom, since it is hard for the broom to reach certain area. How do you clean the slate, I mean any special cleaning solution?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:29 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
True slate, like most natural stone, is fragile.
As you said, it's hard to sweep and harder to keep clean. Not sure what you mean by "special cleaning solution". It gets and stays dirty, easily. If you're hell bent, go for it. I don't like it and wouldn't do it again. ymmv.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 07-26-2014 at 12:38 AM..

Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I had slate on my outdoor patio area in my former home and I can't imagine it in a kitchen, or anywhere indoors. It was hard enough to keep clean outside. Never again.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:07 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
slate is also much more likely to crack or crumble if you drop a heavy pot or dish on the floor. Or does that only happen regularly in my kitchen?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:56 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
I have a slate floor in my bathroom and LOVE it. We had it at the old house and I wanted it in this house. We were thinking of doing the old kitchen floor in slate but opted to go with hardwood flooring instead which we like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artking09 View Post
What is "resealing" of slate? I saw some slate samples, the faces are not leveled very well, giving you a rusty feel. I can imaging it will be hard to sweep slate floor using a broom, since it is hard for the broom to reach certain area. How do you clean the slate, I mean any special cleaning solution?

How you seal or reseal it is by putting sealant down on it. It is as easy as mopping it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3pWFfwwoFY

You can apply a few coats of the sealant and that will protect the grout, too. Then you can clean it using what you normally clean a floor with. We use Mr. Clean. It is true that the tile are not level but just slightly. And the broom can reach all areas.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating