Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:15 AM

983 posts, read 996,738 times

Advertisements

I remember awhile back I thought it would look cool to paint my living room a dark, chocolate brown. Then, I'd paint the fireplace a nice light peachy color so the mantle would stand out. Then another little section would look good in a cappacino color.

Problem is, the living room is dark anyway, because of the natural lighting. That poor room looked like a tomb, with a peach fireplace, and a diarreah-brown other wall!

Yesterday, I got busy. I covered up the brown and peach fireplace wall with a nice, light, serene looking green. Now the fireplace isn't separated from the rest of the room. The other section got a nice ahhh, "muddy water" type color. Can't explain it but it looks beautiful.

Then I redid my hallway in a bright but medium color aqua. Now that dark, dreary hallway has this cheery, "tropical" look. Absolutely beautiful. I guess I'll be happy doing laundry now lol.

Ever painted a room where you thought it would look good, then turned out to be awful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 09:34 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
Several times, and I'll probably do it again.
Most recently, my foyer and hall got painted a color called "ginger ale", but ginger ale looked a lot like a sucky yellow color, so it had to go.
Now, I'm about to paint my bedroom a nice citron green, and my husband is worried it may turn out like ginger ale, but against the blue that is on the wall now, its impossible to get a true feeling for how it will look until I at least get one wall done.
Fingers crossed.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:27 AM

5,854 posts, read 5,292,927 times
Yes.

Many years ago, I finally convinced my husband into having our house painted. We hired my step-son to do the job. We wanted a blue but not as dark as the blue that the house had been painted. I kept looking & looking but just couldn't find the right color I really wanted. Finally, my husband said, "PICK ONE!!!" So I picked Beaureguard blue. Here is how it looked:

You should have seen the look on my face when the front was about a 1/3 done. I kept asking, "Is that too bright?"

After it was done, the comments we got were so funny. Someone told us that I loved it and it really brightens up the street. Someone else told us that it was "So Cuban" whatever that means.

It is still that same color even though it has faded over the years but I am worried that the color is going to be a negative in trying to sell it and we don't want to put the $$$$ into it to having it painted.

That's what happens when my husband pushes me to make a fast decision.

Cat

Old 08-02-2014, 11:03 AM

720 posts, read 1,710,618 times
Bought a nice border for the bathroom and thought I had matched the flowers well.Ha! Ended up school bus-psychedelic yellow. In enamel paint, no less. :-)

Old 08-02-2014, 11:18 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,940,854 times
I wanted to paint the bedroom a nice sage green. Greens are really hard because they look nothing on the wall like the little paper samples. I bought what I thought would be the color I wanted and it ended up being much brighter - not the muted sage I wanted but something more spring-like.

I learned my lesson - pay a little extra and buy the sample paints. When we were re-doing the kitchen, again I was looking for that muted green color, sort of olive-ish and it took about 4 samples before I found it. The first couple of tries were just awful and I was glad to have spent a few extra bucks on the sample paint rather than end up with either of those colors which didn't work at all!

Sherwin Williams has an app you can download where you upload the picture of what you are trying to paint and apply color to it. It actually works pretty well to give you a visualization of the finished product.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
In the first home I owned, I wanted to paint the living area walls a sort of buff color - well, a sort of caramel buff color. I actually liked it, but it WAS, well, "warmer" than I had envisioned it.

My youngest son told his teacher the next Monday that we had painted the living room walls "orange." After that comment, I never could look at those walls quite the same. The more I looked at them, the more orange they looked. To add insult to injury, the carpet was emerald green (this was the 1990s).

I am quite sure that the next owners repainted those walls.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:57 PM

41,990 posts, read 75,279,142 times
Paint is never a "disaster" because it can be corrected quite easily.

Unless, of course, your cat walks in the paint tray and gets little footprints all over the carpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
After it was done, the comments we got were so funny. Someone told us that I loved it and it really brightens up the street.
I like it.

I wanted the trim on my old house to be a forest green, and when I got home from work, discovered the color I chose was bright emerald green. It grew on me, though, and the neighbors said the same thing as yours did.

The dope that bought the house from me painted the siding a dull greyish brown, and the trim a dull greyish blue. It was a good thing the next door neighbors painted their house turquoise -- talk about brightening up the street! LOL

Old 08-02-2014, 08:48 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,574,118 times
[quote=Ohiogirl81;35921304]Paint is never a "disaster" because it can be corrected quite easily.

Unless, of course, your cat walks in the paint tray and gets little footprints all over the carpet.

My dog sat her furry bum on the lid of the paint can. She has long fur. She just wanted to hang out with me while I was painting.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:01 PM

41,990 posts, read 75,279,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
My dog sat her furry bum on the lid of the paint can. She has long fur. She just wanted to hang out with me while I was painting.
OK, you win! LOL Or lose, I guess ... depending on your perspective.

Poor doggy. Hope getting the paint out wasn't too difficult.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:47 PM

983 posts, read 996,738 times
I didn't do this, (really) but I once saw a bathroom painted bright pink. It was like being trapped in a Pepto-Bismo bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating