Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:28 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Do you have personal rules for decorating?
Halloween-don't start until the end of September. Include Fall/Autumn decorations which can be carried over for Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving-we generally stick with Fall/Autumn decorations
Christmas-none until after Thanksgiving. Must be taken down one week after New Years. OK to leave up Christmas lights, but unplug until next season.
Some locally will leave up their tree but remove the Christmas decorations and replace with Mardi Gras (a relatively new tradition). Some will do the same for Easter which follows Mardi Gras. We don't.
Holiday decoration lights should be on a timer. On at sunset, off before midnight (10 or 11pm). If your exterior lights also light up your neighbors' bedrooms and are left on all night, expect hardcore vandalism! Consider your neighbors when it comes to exterior lighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
no holiday decorating rules, I have enough rules in life. I wouldnt make decorating have rules.
Maybe rules is a bad (negative) word. How about, decorating rituals.....

I decorate for the holidays when I feel like it, I remove them when I feel like it.
Most the same as you, give or take a day. I usually take the tree down New Years Day. I'm old, I don't do NYE anymore, and by that time, I am sick of "Miss Tree".

Old 09-19-2013, 07:39 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
We do not celebrate HallowThanksMas... so we take them one at a time.

No "rules" other than that one.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
I tend to put up "fall" decor Oct 1 - I would sooner but being in AZ it doesn't feel like fall before then (or even in Oct much) so it seems pointless. T-giving weekend I take fall down and put up Xmas. Xmas comes down around New Years Day or Day after, etc. One at a time as well. I don't decor any other holidays at this time. If I do anything spring-like it is March-May.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:33 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
There are rules?

I decorate if and when I feel like it.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
It's nice to have some guidelines and traditions. If I'm going to do any fall decorating it'll be when it FEELS like fall. Around here that's sometime in October or late Sept.

Christmas--just like the first post. I start thinking seriously of Christmas the day after Thanksgiving and it's over in very early January. I don't like one holiday to interfere with another. Each holiday has its place.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:20 PM

335 posts, read 620,154 times
I was working in a mall a few years back and noticed that right before Thanksgiving, there was a big sign in Nordstrom that basically stated that they do one holiday at a time, and that Christmas decorations were getting put up AFTER Thanksgiving. Bravo!

If there's one thing I can't stand it is being bombarded with Christmas decorations in the stores before Labor Day. It's bad enough it's September already, now it's December? Don't even get me started with how early the Christmas music is piped into the music systems in the store...

One thing that's really going to screw me up this year is that the first night of Chanukah starts the day before Thanksgiving! Even when Chanukah is over, I keep the menorah out through Christmas, and we keep all the Christmas decor out until the last of the 12 days of Christmas.

Except - our cats LOVE the tree, and I had a hard time last year taking it away from them! The only reason we packed it up when we did was that we were moving the end of January.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Yep, nothing like turkey stuffed with Latkes!!!!!

This is going to throw me WAY off in the decorating dept!!!!!

Old 09-20-2013, 05:34 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Unless you live in a place that has their own rules, for example a condo or hoa there are no rules. That said, Christmas decorating hould begin the day after Thanksgiving, IMHO.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:39 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
We don't typically decorate for anything other than Christmas and we are fairly minimalist for that. Growing up, the only holiday we really "decorated" for was Christmas. My dad would carve awesome pumpkins for our porch to actually put out on halloween, but I wasn't used to decorating for every holiday so my wife and I don't do it now either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating