Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:32 PM

9 posts, read 9,331 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to re-do my living room for quite some time now, but it just doesn't come natural to me. I could really use some help, any kind of help! Seriously, any opinion is welcome Thanks in advance.
P.S - pardon the baby and the swing, they have to stay hehe
Attached Thumbnails
Okay everyone, I need help decorating!!!-img_48221.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 05:49 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times
Get rid of the huge overstuffed furniture. Go for something with a lower profile like a chesterfield or a tailored armless sofa. You also need a bigger area rug-- much bigger. If you are more traditional, you could do a nice oriental, if you want more modern, an Ikat print or something more geometric. If you want a more sophisticated look, I think a nice taupe on the walls, and depending on whether the undertone was more warm or cool, a nice accent color like a tangerine or an aubergine. Get a dramatic lighting fixture-- the ceilings are nice and high. Make the fireplace more of a focal point with a gorgeous mirror.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
We need more pictures of all different sides of the room. Room level please.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 PM

Okay! Will post tomorrow

Old 01-17-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Get rid of the huge overstuffed furniture. Go for something with a lower profile like a chesterfield or a tailored armless sofa. You also need a bigger area rug-- much bigger. If you are more traditional, you could do a nice oriental, if you want more modern, an Ikat print or something more geometric. If you want a more sophisticated look, I think a nice taupe on the walls, and depending on whether the undertone was more warm or cool, a nice accent color like a tangerine or an aubergine. Get a dramatic lighting fixture-- the ceilings are nice and high. Make the fireplace more of a focal point with a gorgeous mirror.

Love the idea of the mirror! I've hadn't thought of that, and have been looking everywhere for the perfect picture. As for the furniture, it unfortunatly has to stay for the time being. Gotta stay within budget Mainly, I guess i'm looking for something over the fireplace, something for the side wall instead of the clock (will post pics tomorrow ) and perhaps a new rug and coffee table. Maybe some lamps? I just don't know lol Thank you for your imput!

Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
I guess I'm the only one who likes the way it looks except for the furniture/couches/chair.

I like the painting above the fireplace, the rug, the coffee table, the end table, and the lamp. I like the color on the walls. I would just get rid of the chair and the couches and get something less overwhelming for the room.

Eh, others will disagree but I think you did pretty good despite the fact that you say you don't have a natural eye for it. (Except for the couches...)

Old 01-17-2014, 09:21 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
My only thought is it looks dark so lighten it up with a larger area rug and get new tables. Or sub a big ottoman for the coffee table which would be more baby friendly and provide additional seating. I once read about NOT putting mirrors over fireplaces because all you're going to reflect are the tops of door frames and ceiling fixtures. A big round mirror opposite the windows would reflect more natural light inside, but I'm not sure if a wall is available for that until we see more pics.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I agree that the couches don't seem to fit well into the traditional room. But even if you have to keep them for awhile, they are arranged pretty well around the fireplace. Why is the white chair turned away. Is the TV on the left of the fireplace? The seating should be grouped around the fireplace, which is the natural focal point of the room.

Also, I can't tell what you see when enter the room? Do you immediately see the back of a sofa, and have to go 'round to enter the conversation area? If so, then the arrangement is too tight. You want to feel invited to enter the room, when you enter. Make sure there is a clear path to the seating area from the doorway.

I also agree with another poster about the rug. You can buy larger simple rugs through Pottery Barn or Ballards, or at any import shop, or Home Goods. They needn't set you back a terrible amount of money, unless you want a really nice one.

Even if you don't have the resources to buy all new furniture, you can arrange it to be inviting, and add pieces as you go.

You could paint the walls a color, and the fireplace will pop. A mirror--a nice one--over the fireplace would be beautiful. But the painting looks nice too, IMO.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I need to see more pictures to understand the room shape. It appears there are angles to the walls. I also have no idea what the room looks like upon entering it.

If there is room, I think the furniture would look better set at a skewed angle to the fireplace. Alternately, I prefer a seating arrangement that runs perpendicular to fireplaces instead of facing directly.

I can't tell if there is enough room for the sofa to be turned in any other direction. More pictures are needed.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:40 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki_Lynn View Post
I've been trying to re-do my living room for quite some time now, but it just doesn't come natural to me. I could really use some help, any kind of help! Seriously, any opinion is welcome Thanks in advance.
P.S - pardon the baby and the swing, they have to stay hehe

Love the furniture but I would turn the rocker recliner around facing the rest of the furniture.
Otherwise I think it looks fine except for the yellow on the walls but I am not a fan of color on walls or ceilings. I prefer white or off white, ecru, antique white or whatever they call that color now.

If you want a bit of color get some throw pillows for the couch and love seat and throw a pretty blanket over the back of the couch and love seat as well. Very inexpensive and when you get bored with it you can donote those pillows and blankets and get new ones that are different colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating