Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:53 AM

670 posts, read 481,340 times

Advertisements

We just bought our first house and are having a painter come in and paint all the rooms. We have narrowed down our color choices but are having trouble deciding. We want to do different shades of brown for the entire house. We want a warm and cozy but luxurious feel. I love the paint color in this photo for the living room but not sure what it is . Hollywood Regency Residence. Our painter only uses sherwin williams so we have narrowed down our colors to Down Home, Sturdy Brown, Cobble, Grounded, Sable, Java, Smokehouse and Spalding Gray. Has anyone used these colors and have any opinions? The floors in the house are all light to medium colored wood. We are also trying to figure out the hallway colors and to use a nice color that blends the house together. We will also be using this color as an accent wall in the living room. Any ideas are welcomed! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 01:32 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,913 times
phillygirl123,

You don't need to limit your color choices to SW colors. My painters only use Benjamin Moore paint. When I could not find the color I wanted in BM samples, my painter said to find a sample card of the paint color I wanted in most any other brand and take it to my BM dealer and have them look up in their cross reference how to make it up in a BM sample.

So, it is likely that you can do the same thing at any SW dealer.

Be aware that the way the sample looks throughout your home will be very dependent on the type of direct or indirect light each room receives. That is why I had the color I wanted made up in the BM paint. I then painted a large poster board with the color and moved it from room to room to be sure I liked how it looked in each room.

So, you don't have to limit your color selections to strictly SW colors.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:29 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
How's the natural light in the house?

Old 12-28-2014, 05:38 PM

670 posts, read 481,340 times
its a rowhome so only gets light from back and front windows. Are we going too dark ?

Old 12-28-2014, 05:41 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
its a rowhome so only gets light from back and front windows. Are we going too dark ?
bingo!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:07 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,219,292 times
Yes a home with light only in the front and back will be too dark --unless you like being in a darker home. Do you have a a lot of wide woodwork that can be painted white or cream to offset it?

Old 12-29-2014, 01:16 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,079,180 times
If it's a first home I'd hold off on painting. My wife got all gung-ho about painting the walls and went with a whole color palate from Benjamin Moore, over a dozen different colors in all. It looked fine, but then we got on to replacing flooring, trim, windows, removing built ins, wiring, plumbing etc... and touching up all of those different colors turned into an expensive pain in butt. Every time some drywall needed repair I'd be running back to the paint store to get another $25 quart mixed up to match. If we were out of a particular color, patching a single nail hole turned into a $40 job and 2 hours of work.

If your home is already fully renovated and updated, go ahead and paint a bunch of different colors. If not, you're creating a more work and expense down the line.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I have a condo with indirect light and was looking for a soft shade of light blue -I had a light blue in my previous home (with lots of direct light) and it had looked great. The same color in my condo screamed BLUE and the sample board looked totally different in the condo.

I might not be the best person to give you advice about colors because I tried 16 different samples before I found one the was just what I wanted. Various shades of light blue screamed blue. I tried white with a blue undertone and the walls were just too much white. I finally decided to try shades of grey. My first attempts looked like light grey on the sample chip, but, were much too dark when viewed in the indirect light in the condo. I finally came across a light grey with a blue undertone. It is a grey that looks almost white in the direct light, but, under indirect light the blue undertone shows up and it is a lovely soft shade of blue grey. In some areas that get a some direct light it will look like a silvery grey.

It took me a while, but, I did learn that a paint will look totally different depending upon if you have direct or indirect lighting. I had never even considered looking at grey sample cards until I could not find any light blue colors that worked in the indirect lighting of my new home. Others can suggest colors to look at that might have the desired undertones you are looking for - be open to trying them.

I did find a great item at Home Depot that is approximately 9" x 13" piece of plastic you paint with your sample color that can cling to your wall and can be moved from room to room. I liked it much better than painting the sample color on a piece of white poster board. I think it cost me 98 cents per sheet and really gave me a good idea of how the paint color looked on my wall.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:15 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,677 times
The color in the picture you posted looks warm & rich, I can see why you like it....If you really want that color why don't you offer to buy the paint yourself? Your painter may make you sign some kind of waiver that if it doesn't cover you may have to pay extra for a second coat since he likes his own bands....If not, BM should be able to mix paints to come up with a custom color. Most stores will mix a sample for you to paint on the walls to see if the color is too dark for your room exposure.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
The color in the picture you posted looks warm & rich, I can see why you like it....If you really want that color why don't you offer to buy the paint yourself? Your painter may make you sign some kind of waiver that if it doesn't cover you may have to pay extra for a second coat since he likes his own bands....If not, BM should be able to mix paints to come up with a custom color. Most stores will mix a sample for you to paint on the walls to see if the color is too dark for your room exposure.
I think SW should be able to cross reference another brand's colors and make it up with SW paint. That will probably not be an issue.

My painters quoted my job for labor plus the cost of paint. So, I bought the samples, but, when I found the right color the painters bought the paint (they get a discount) and passed that savings on to me. If I had bought the paint for the job directly it would have cost me much more for the paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating