Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:28 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times

Advertisements

Just some food for thought... I don't think the color is necessarily too dark. Keep in mind that the house in those pictures is in Chicago. Yes, it has windows on all four sides, but as you can see in some of the pictures, the next house on either side is probably about 7 feet away or less. Most of the time you get little to no light from those side windows and as a result the house in those pictures is really no different than a row house. I'm speaking from my own experience owning a house in Chicago; our side windows provided so little light that they really didn't light anything in the house.

Also, I'm 100% sure SW can color match paint. So, as others have said, find a paint color you like and give it to the painters. The computer at SW can match it and make paint in that color. I use color matching all the time when I paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 09:29 AM

Also, the designer said in the comments on one of the pictures that the color is Alexandria Beige HC-77 by Benjamin Moore.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:10 PM

670 posts, read 480,831 times
The house is 3 yrs old so doesn't need any renovations except the painting. I think we have decided to go for a little lighter since the rooms are pretty narrow and have minimal light. We are leaning towards SW Trusty Tan or SW Latte for the living room and the same color for the bedroom. We want to do a dark color for the basement to make it more of a movie room. Thinking grounded? Now we are just trying to figure out what to use for the halls. Kilim Beige is on the same swatch as the Latte so thinking that if we end up with Latte. Not sure what would look good with Trusty Tan though. The neutral on that swatch is Simplify Beige and it looks a little pinkish. Has anyone used any of these colors? Thanks for the ideas!

Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
The house is 3 yrs old so doesn't need any renovations except the painting. I think we have decided to go for a little lighter since the rooms are pretty narrow and have minimal light. We are leaning towards SW Trusty Tan or SW Latte for the living room and the same color for the bedroom. We want to do a dark color for the basement to make it more of a movie room. Thinking grounded? Now we are just trying to figure out what to use for the halls. Kilim Beige is on the same swatch as the Latte so thinking that if we end up with Latte. Not sure what would look good with Trusty Tan though. The neutral on that swatch is Simplify Beige and it looks a little pinkish. Has anyone used any of these colors? Thanks for the ideas!
Have you considered picking up the card that has the Benjamin Moore Alexandria Beige just to see what the next lighter shade on it is? I think the Alexandria Beige has a nice tone/depth. It may be worth checking out since you liked it.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:26 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times
Buy some poster boards to paint samples onto. Swatches in a paint store ( or even held up at home) are going to be useless compared to a large sample placed on different walls at different times of day and night with your lights on and off (considering the warmth of the bulbs/shades etc).

Color is such a wonderfully dynamic thing and there are so many influencing factors that will affect what you see and it would be a shame to put up paint you love on the swatch but just doesn't work in your home.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:43 PM

698 posts, read 798,298 times
Quote:
We just bought our first house and are having a painter come in and paint all the rooms. We have narrowed down our color choices but are having trouble deciding. We want to do different shades of brown for the entire house. We want a warm and cozy but luxurious feel. I love the paint color in this photo for the living room but not sure what it is . Hollywood Regency Residence. Our painter only uses sherwin williams so we have narrowed down our colors to Down Home, Sturdy Brown, Cobble, Grounded, Sable, Java, Smokehouse and Spalding Gray. Has anyone used these colors and have any opinions? The floors in the house are all light to medium colored wood. We are also trying to figure out the hallway colors and to use a nice color that blends the house together. We will also be using this color as an accent wall in the living room. Any ideas are welcomed! Thanks!
Wow, sounds like romper room but in beige colors. Large various colored, brown boxes all over various walls is our current McDonalds Decor.

Consider leave the ceiling a white color, or if that's already the color, let it be. Then paint the walls ONE other color, a beige or something. Especially if you have trim as most people do. Sherwin Williams antique white is slightly darker than others such as Kelly Moore but still nice for a ceiling.. Swiss Coffee is also a beautiful color, classy, for the baseboards. Malibu Beige for the Walls, or Snippit tan is nice also for walls. People never seem to be dismayed by these colors, remain pleased.

I'd get low sheen so it can be wiped off, except for the ceiling. No one wipes off the ceiling and a rougher paint does better up high.

Also you pay more than double to change the color because it takes so much effort to sectionize that and keep the lines perfectly straight. Otherwise you spend way too much time touching up so you must mask that whole entire space off, much more work. Which isn't an issue of course unless it is an issue. We've spent four times the time painting a house compared to a fancier house which was over 4 times that size due to the "Romper Room" look mentality. Which is just fine, doesn't matter. But I hate seeing the result, as to me, it looks cheap. And then feel bad for taking their money. But that's me.

Often the lines cannot be perfectly straight, depends upon the walls. Then it's a guessing game.

Good luck but to even push it to have one wall a different color is touchy. It's a chance to take and usually works out as long as the other rooms in the home do not reflect the same.

Hoping no matter what you pick, you enjoy it. Good luck to you

PS IF I were you, I'd go with antique white as the darker tone for the walls and Swiss coffee as the baseboard paint. But a darker shade for walls such as Malibu Beige will work. Both I think are Stock Colors at Sherwin Williams. If there is such a thing anymore. Sounds like you don't have enough light to go much darker. That photo of yours shows what happens when you go that dark, wowie. That could be a very comfortable room, but now it's sorta depressing. Even for just a visit. JMHO

Last edited by CaliforniaGal1; 12-29-2014 at 06:00 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 05:44 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,276 times
The tone of your posted picture is nice but look on the same paint card and look down about 2 shades. You can always find different shades of the same color on the same card. Reminds me of my favorite color which is the color of a White Russian, very peaceful. As for your painter? He gets a discount at Sherwin Williams and they will give him an invoice reflecting a higher price to give to you. (Yes, I'm a painter for over 20 years) Computer match will transfer to any brand paint.

All recommendations about painting a poster board and hanging on your wall are right on. If limited light, start a little lighter and easier to go darker than other way around.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I did find a great item at Home Depot that is approximately 9" x 13" piece of plastic you paint with your sample color that can cling to your wall and can be moved from room to room. I liked it much better than painting the sample color on a piece of white poster board. I think it cost me 98 cents per sheet and really gave me a good idea of how the paint color looked on my wall.
What a great find! I wish I had that when I had my home painted.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:34 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Dark colors tend to suck all the light out of a room. So unless its a room that you want to be dark I would be careful putting those colors all over a house that doesn't get a lot of light.

The exception imo would be a powder room which can become more dramatic with a dark color as long as you have a great mirror and good lighting.

Also, if you think the neutral for Trusty Tan is pinkish, then Trusty Tan will probably have pinkish undertones as well......that's why they are together.

I think all the neutrals mentioned are too dark for hallways unless you have windows at the end of them or a lot of lighting. Better to look at the brochure for whites and pick something from there much lighter like an ivory that has more yellow or white undertones.

You haven't mentioned your furniture. In general, light colored furniture tends to pop with darker colors and dark furniture pops against lighter colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating