Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 9,345 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I will be moving soon and am looking to decorate my living area around this couch! What color scheme do you think would look nice with it? I was thinking maybe a black and white rug of some sort, and then a pop of color? Help! Also, if you happen to know of good places to buy the items, it would be much appreciated if you let me know! Keep in mind I will be living in an apartment and on a budget. Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,234,682 times
I think the color of this couch will blend with almost anything, including black. If you rent, your walls will likely be white or light beige, so you might want to decorate with colorful art, or at least with art that reflects other elements in your room.

I recommend visiting stores like Home Goods, Pier 1, World Market, T.J. Maxx, Bed Bath and Beyond, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, to see what is out there. It is impossible for us here to know what you like, and what sort of digs you will end up with. I also recommend checking with decorating blogs daily for lots of ideas. I put these in my Feedly blog feed, and I am often inspired by what I see. Here are some blogs you might find inspirational:

Nesting Place More of a lifestyle blog, but lots of ideas. And the blogger pushes the radical idea that your house does not have to be perfect to be a home. She lived in rentals for a number of years.

Apartment Therapy | Saving the world, one room at a time

http://www.stylemepretty.com/living/category/home/

Decor Hacks | Quick, Cheap and Stylish DIY

Also, keep a Pinterest account with idea boards. You can google any combination of things like "white walls" tan sofa and find numerous images to save to Pinterest. If you enclose terms in quotations marks, you limit your results to only things with "xxxxx xxxxx" as a descriptor.

Also, there are numerous ideas on the Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Joss and Main, Wayfair sites. I think you need to do the research to find what you like. Even if you can't afford everything all at once, you will get ideas of what to shoot for, and how to achieve it.

Have fun decorating your new apartment.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:29 PM

9 posts, read 9,345 times
Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that out! I will definitely look into it some more!

Old 02-26-2015, 09:22 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,117,259 times
I would not put black and white with it. Only you can decide, what other colors do you like? It can go with almost anything.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:46 PM

6,493 posts, read 6,703,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I would not put black and white with it. Only you can decide, what other colors do you like? It can go with almost anything.
I agree.

Although blending your sofa's tan with black & white can work, it's tricky, and can end up looking lifeless. I'd suggest tan and cream as the basic background colors, and then pick a favorite warm color or two to liven up the room. You could use reds and oranges if you want a bright, contemporary look. Dark blue and/or olive green would be more traditional but tasteful. Deep purples and browns would also look nice.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:16 AM

348 posts, read 295,177 times
With the colour of couch for opinion I would go with at least 4 pillows, not the 2 ...and contrast with two in the orange tones and two more closer to the colour of the couch, just a bit darker not much..it may brighten it up a little and allow more flexibility for around the setting.

Last edited by Sophronius; 02-27-2015 at 01:46 AM..

Old 03-02-2015, 11:29 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,719,561 times
That black has to go, its too blend and boring

Old 03-05-2015, 05:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,128,773 times
I would throw some deep orange and aubergine (eggplant) in with that tan!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:57 PM

35,770 posts, read 21,139,250 times
12th Street Project

Old 03-08-2015, 09:15 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,222,874 times
Anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating