Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:49 AM

932 posts, read 1,274,075 times

Advertisements

I have 2- different colors and materials, and both from sure fit.

ONe is a tan stretch pique. I like it the best, just because its stretchy and easier to make look 'nice'.

the other is a dark green cotton duck type material. Its sturdier (material wise) than the tan, but doesnt look quite as nice.

I switch them out when i wash one- about once a month?

Once you get USED to putting them on- its not difficult. I can do our large sofa in about 3 minutes by myself. You do have to re-tuck them in fairly constantly, especially if you use the furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 01:34 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I've had a sofa which came with a factory slipcover in my family room for years. Judging by how filthy it gets, I would never be without one. I just toss it in the washer 3-4x a year. They say you should dry clean, but if the cover is cotton you can wash it. Seriously, when you think about it, regular furniture that gets daily use must be downright nasty after a year or so.
I have not seen any aftermarket slipcovers that look very good and I would not use them except if I could whip them off if anyone came over.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,777,124 times
I'd have to say that the love seat gets used more than the sofa ... but the pooch will sleep on both.

I still have yet to go look for these, but i did see that Linens and Things carries them - so i can buy and return if they dont work ... I still want denim ... but by the sounds of
"mommiewrites" post ... the stretchy fabric may work better.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:19 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
We used to use slipcovers, but it was so depressing to be constantly adjusting them and having them look messy and crooked that we finally just bought new furniture! Maybe we bought the wrong kind, I don't know... but having a toddler (at the time) climbing onto the couch was enough to pull it out of position.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:05 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
Custom slipcovers look just like upholstery. They fit tightly, don't slip and look very neat and classy. They pop right off to go in the washer and dryer, then pull back on. In CA, almost everybody has them because they're so low-maintenance. There are tons of stores that make them, but they're going to cost several hundred dollars plus fabric. That's really the only way to get a polished look. Packaged slipcovers don't fit and look messy. They might work for a beach house, but not so much in a more formal home.

If you buy a standard brand-- like PB or Mitchell Gold-- you can find companies that will make slipcovers to fit over the Internet. They're semi-custom and more of a bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating