Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,644 times

Advertisements

This room has haunted me since we bought this house almost 3 years ago. It is not used and has never had much furniture in it. Basically... wasted space. The stairs and door and space under the stair create problems for me. This room has an entrance into my house and doesn't leave an impression that is much to be desired. I have no clue where to place a focal point or what it should even be? Fireplace or television etc... ? I am very limited to the furniture I can use since the room is only 12'2 X 10'6 (plus the the additional space under the stairs.) Even the stairs are ugly! I want something that is warm and inviting and gives it a purpose! Help!

PS: Ignore the background mess and badly placed photos. The items in the room are not staying either but I would like to keep the grey color for now.

Please help! Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Help!  This room is a tough one! :S-img_2405.jpg   Help!  This room is a tough one! :S-img_2406.jpg   Help!  This room is a tough one! :S-img_2407.jpg   Help!  This room is a tough one! :S-img_2408.jpg   Help!  This room is a tough one! :S-room.jpg  

Last edited by 4evernichole; 02-20-2015 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Fixed Images which where sideways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 02:46 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
oh I wish I had such a large entry way!

You need a good sized rug, a small bench and a hall tree, plus a nice plant or two. The cubby under the stairs could be given a door and used to hide away the vacuum and some galoshes and umbrellas.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:51 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
That is a wonderful space. I would put a wooden bench with some cushions on it. A landing area of sorts. I would make the under the stairs space a "current" closet. In the winter it could handle the coats and boots and the bench would be a place to sit and put them on. There could be a small credenza where you could put your keys, the mail. As the above poster stated a hall tree and a mirror for that last glance.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:19 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
^ what they said. I'd get some storage with doors so coats, shoes, etc could be stored, but not look cluttered, since it is the first thing you see when you enter the house.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:35 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Beyond the decorative recommendations those stairs look steep and quite dangerous being completely open on one side- I don't even have any kids and I'm a bit terrified looking at this (I'm an architectural designer and that would be flagged so quickly in my city!)

As safety and decorative solution I would strongly recommend an attractive and sturdy rail system starting at the landing. Also, is a ceiling fan light combo necessary in an entryway for your climate/HVAC? An attractive light replacement would go a long way in improving your first impressions here. I also concur with the storage doors as a great and needed closet solution for under the stairs.

Last edited by T. Damon; 02-21-2015 at 11:32 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 11:30 AM

Thank you for all of the suggestions. It is much help. I agree the stair railings are a must. We are soon starting some reno's to our downstairs and are trying to decide whether to put up rail or just put a wall it in instead. I like the idea of getting rid of the fan... that's ugly too. lol Do you have any particular type of lighting you would suggest? I would like to add a chair or two as a small sitting area if it will work.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:40 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
When you say the room "isn't used" does that mean the exterior door is not the actual front door?

What would be your "wish list" for the area?

Old 02-21-2015, 02:15 PM

Yes, it is an actual front door (soon to be replaced by a new one) but it isn't used by our family. We use another entrance way but everyone who comes to visit uses that door. Wish list... geez that's a tough one... maybe a cozy little space to sit and read or just chat? However, with the stairs, and door, and entrance way to another room there doesn't seem to be much options for furniture. I'm like preschooler with a coloring book when it comes to decorating and design. lol

Old 02-21-2015, 02:54 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Don't enclose the stairs. We had enclosed and it makes the staircase claustrophobic.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:57 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
That's the front entryway??? As in the foyer?

I think it's too small for a sitting area. It's meant to be a pass-through area.

Keep it simple, with only the storage items mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating