Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,647 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I recently moved to a rowhome in Baltimore, MD. We are having a difficult time decorating, as we cannot figure out how to configure our couches and dining room table. Our house is very narrow, which makes this a challenge. When you walk in the front door, there is a big open area leading to another room. This room then leads into a small hallway where our stairs are located, along with the side door. Past this hallway is our kitchen - very narrow, and absolutely no room for a dining table in here. There is a bathroom at the very end of the home.

Please see attached for a photo of our first floor. I think our dining table looks slightly awkward in the main entrance area, however we also feel it would be awkward to have our couches right there, as soon as you walk in. The photo shows a view approx 6 ft in from the main entrance of the house (there is a small console table on the left, and a non-functioning fireplace and mantle to the right, past the dining table).

http://i.imgur.com/rGFT4qR.jpg

Please help!!!

Last edited by callacat; 03-26-2015 at 12:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 02:43 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Row houses that are three rooms deep are pretty much all the same from front to back: living room, dining room, kitchen. Subsequent remuddles may have eliminated the dining room for an open-layout kitchen and eating area, closets, bathroom, etc.

What is your precise layout? Is what you're calling the "main entrance" the original living room, and what you're using as a living room the original dining room?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callacat View Post
Hi All,

My boyfriend and I recently moved to a rowhome in Baltimore, MD. We are having a difficult time decorating, as we cannot figure out how to configure our couches and dining room table. Our house is very narrow, which makes this a challenge. When you walk in the front door, there is a big open area leading to another room. This room then leads into a small hallway where our stairs are located, along with the side door. Past this hallway is our kitchen - very narrow, and absolutely no room for a dining table in here. There is a bathroom at the very end of the home.

Please see attached for a photo of our first floor. I think our dining table looks slightly awkward in the main entrance area, however we also feel it would be awkward to have our couches right there, as soon as you walk in. The photo shows a view approx 6 ft in from the main entrance of the house (there is a small console table on the left, and a non-functioning fireplace and mantle to the right, past the dining table).

Please help!!!
I'm no interior designer but I have lived in Baltimore row houses for a generation. Fortunately for me, my homes have always been at least 15 feet wide and not all that hard to lay out without looking like a bowling alley. As I remember, friends that have had narrow row houses tried to come up with an interesting piece of furniture to sit across the grain in order to break up the linear monotony. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2015, 08:07 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Hard to tell from your angle/one picture but I'd probably ditch one of the couches and then put the couch closer to the main entrance. But I'd have to see the entire layout better to decide for sure.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:10 AM

348 posts, read 294,739 times
Some green plants on small airy stands in the liv room might fit in really well .

Last edited by Sophronius; 03-27-2015 at 10:36 AM..

Old 03-29-2015, 11:10 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
What are the dimensions of the rooms (living room, dining room)? Our house has a similar layout as it is long and narrow although we have a little more width. I think that it helps in a long narrow space to round out the corners by putting things in them such as a chair, a tall plant, tall lamps, round tables, etc. It helps to take away from the alley feel. Can you post a picture facing the opposite way so that we can see the front room?

Old 03-29-2015, 10:04 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
Yes a couple more pics and dimensions would help a lot. Do you own this home, what is your budget, are you able to take down any walls, do you know which wall are load bearing?

Old 03-30-2015, 05:02 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
are you able to take down any walls, do you know which wall are load bearing?
The OP asked about decorating, not remodeling. There is a difference.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:18 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Yes a couple more pics and dimensions would help a lot. Do you own this home, what is your budget, are you able to take down any walls, do you know which wall are load bearing?
Just google "baltimore row home", most seem to have a similar floor plan.

The reason why they are so narrow is because of the length of the crossbeams. Cutting the crossbeams at 16 ft was typical because of the lumber supply available at the time. So in reality, the only load bearing walls are the four walls that create the "rectangle" around the entire home.

There are some wider row homes, which can be pretty nice, but the one in the OPs picture is not one of them. They tend to be three levels tall and with a basement, but their narrowness is the main reason why I would never live in one. Plus you only have windows in the front and back, even corner units, typically.

*there are more than one type of row home. The one I mention above is a typical "brownstone".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating