Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:37 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times

Advertisements

If you watch HGTV, everybody seems to want crazy bright interior colors with lots of shiny bling. A close familyfriend, with more money to play with than I do, recently did a major remodel to their home and they now have a fuschia exterior door, quite a bit of etched glass on the interior, crazy angular slanted shelves for their knickknacks, and so on. I know fashions come and go, but I can't imagine wanting to live in a house like that. I want my home to create a calming and peaceful feeling. I don't want to live in a Vegas hotel Anybody else feel this way or am I cranky and off my rocker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
You need to stop watching HGTV and get less cranky!

I do not watch and I have not seen "crazy bright interior colors with lots of shiny bling" in any of my friends' homes.
But even if I did, if they like shiny and if they like bright... :::shrug::: it IS their house!

Old 06-16-2015, 08:59 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I know what you mean and I'm not a fan, either. Of course, I'm also more classic/traditional. I also think decor should match the style of the house.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:49 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
If you watch HGTV, everybody seems to want crazy bright interior colors with lots of shiny bling. A close familyfriend, with more money to play with than I do, recently did a major remodel to their home and they now have a fuschia exterior door, quite a bit of etched glass on the interior, crazy angular slanted shelves for their knickknacks, and so on. I know fashions come and go, but I can't imagine wanting to live in a house like that. I want my home to create a calming and peaceful feeling. I don't want to live in a Vegas hotel Anybody else feel this way or am I cranky and off my rocker?
This is nothing more than a trend. Just like shag carpet, saloon doors, wood paneling, bubble chairs, etc. If this is what they like, then more power to them.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I try for serenity in my decorating. I stopped watching HGTV years ago. The shows became unwatchable.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:56 AM

138 posts, read 129,790 times
I like colors! Neutrals are boring to have throughout a house. I especially love how my colors pop because of the white trim in our house. My LR and DR are apple red. Kitchen is white (will change that one day). Foyer is very deep buttercream. Master bedroom is medium beige. Other bedrooms are bright sunny yellow for one and dark teal for the other. Bathroom is lime green (towels and accents in the room are bright blue...looks great together).

In no way do I feel that our house looks crazy and shiny. Our house is over 100 years old and still looks very "classic" with all the bright colors. Actually, back when the house was built, colors were very "in". The original color of the foyer was actually the same red I used in the LR and DR. I found out when I pulled off wallpaper and reached the bottom layer of paint by accident.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:23 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,141 times
I haven't really watched HGTV in years. I didn't know that colors were in now. I'm glad of it. I think gray and beige are about the most boring, depressing colors. My living spaces are various shades of orange, but it's not bright and shiny, well some might think eggshell finish is a little shiny. I don't remember the names, but they're shades of apricot, peach, and pumpkin, not overly bright orange. I find it both happy and soothing. My screened porch is aqua or robin's egg blue. Everyone chose their own bedroom colors--blue, lavender, seafoam, yellow. I want my home to be more happy and welcoming than serene.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:32 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
I don't like bright colors in general (as evident by my entire wardrobe) but you are just watching HGTV, which is just advertising, not real life. And if people want to live with bright colors, by all means they can do whatever they want.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:55 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I have been living with neutrals for years. I recently used a color consultant to help with a new condo and we now have one small wall in the corner of the master bedroom that is lime green. I love it.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:00 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I'm guilty, i watch HGTV. But I still do what I like, not what the current trend of the moment is. I could care less.

However regarding bright colors, David Bromstad, OMG, he uses the worst colors ever. I like him, but the commercial where he has the bright blue and white dining room, almost makes me want to put sun glasses on. I could never live in a room like that. Way to bright for my taste.

Color is a personal choice, some like a lot of color, some dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating