Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:01 AM

312 posts, read 831,756 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been considering all kinds of options for my new master bedroom window treatment and still not sure how to go about it.

As you can see in the picture, it's not actually just a window treatment but 2 windows with a french door in the middle that run total about 12ft long.

While the windows have enough space in the frame for mounting blinds or shades, on the door it would have to be mounted directly on it, which I see 2 issues - the door lever which is about 2" from door, and the fact it would be a very long blind probably dangling all over when opening and shutting the door.

Another option would be to have a very long rod with drapes. I like how drapes are easy to open and close. And I could potentially make it a dual rod with a sheer and a blackout drape. But where do I find such a long rod that won't be sagging? iron made and custom? Such long drapes would probably have to be custom as well, right? Unless I use maybe 4 or more panels, which sometimes is weird.

What are your thoughts on this? I really appreciate help here.

I do need to mention that just next door, I have another window and french door into the hallway, which would be good to have some treatment, but in this space I am afraid a curtain might be strange. Maybe I just put a shade on the window and leave the door without treatment?

Again, thank you so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Difficult window treatment-img_7421.jpg   Difficult window treatment-img_7422.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 12:22 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,986,422 times
My sister in law in Brighton Beach has the same in the 1st pic. Her view is not as pretty as yours though. She has a long curtain rod with sheer panels and then abheavy drapery for privacy. I'd do a light blind for that 2nd pic and a curtain for the small window.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:32 AM

Hi Gilah, thanks for reply. So she has a dual rod? Was it custom made? For such a long run, I think it would need to be strong material such as iron?

I have in my living room one of those rods you buy at bed bath and beyond, and it's 8ft long and already sags a little. Because ideally there are only 3 brackets so the drapes can run all the way to the sides.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2015, 04:40 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Any rod would have a center support bracket to eliminate the sag. Try here for rods. I have used them many times.

Curtain Rods , Drapery Hardware, Window Hardware - Swags Galore - Window Hardware

Old 11-10-2015, 06:14 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,986,422 times
Yes, center bracket to prevent sag. Also Google enclosed venetian blind for those door treatments.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:17 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
If you have the budget, I would do door-mounted plantation shutters:

http://www.stanfieldshutter.com/wp-c...-Arc.-Cove.jpg

The wider louvers allow lots of light in when open but give plenty of privacy and don't move or get in the way when you open and close the door.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:27 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,608,945 times
I use swing-arm rods on my French doors. I've had them for over 40 years and they are wonderful. I can swing the long drape open when I want the view. I bought them from Country Curtains and they still carry them. The ones shown below are adjustable. Mine aren't, but I was able to buy the size I needed.

https://www.countrycurtains.com/prod...arm+rod+set.do

Old 11-10-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Any rod would have a center support bracket to eliminate the sag. Try here for rods. I have used them many times.

Curtain Rods , Drapery Hardware, Window Hardware - Swags Galore - Window Hardware
I have a 8ft rod in my living room, and even with the center bracket, you see some sag in the 4ft half run if the drapes are hanging in the middle of the half run. Depending on the material I could see sag happening with a 12ft rod, with 6ft between brackets.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I use swing-arm rods on my French doors. I've had them for over 40 years and they are wonderful. I can swing the long drape open when I want the view. I bought them from Country Curtains and they still carry them. The ones shown below are adjustable. Mine aren't, but I was able to buy the size I needed.
Interesting. I am trying to think what the advantage would be in my case. Do you mean I put one rod in each window and and one split on top of the door?

The door opens outwards. Also if I swing the door arm completely to the other side, it would then cover the window.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

This. You put a support in the middle. You should be able to find a rod long enough. I like your idea of draw drapes on a long rod. I personally don't like too much drapery in a room. But, how much light filtering or blocking would dictate whether you wanted a second drapery or not, I think. I wonder if a rod with a simple curtain or drape would not be the best solution for the other room as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating