Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 2,657 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum. My husband and I are about to close on a house, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with the living room and bonus room in terms of decorating. I'd like your opinion.

Just to give you a little background, we are upsizing on the home. We have a green sofa and loveseat that I'm planning on putting in the living room. I have no furniture for the bonus room, but plan on buying something, probably a sectional sofa.

I've uploaded photos for the two rooms plus one photo of the green loveseat, here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ouse-pics.html

The pictures are as follows:

1 - Bonus Room 1
2 - Bonus Room 2
3 - Living Room 1 (The accent wall appears red-orange in the picture, but it's more like a dark red)
4 - Living Room 2
5 - Green loveseat (My apologies for the fact that the picture is upside down; the original is not that way. I just wanted you to see the color).

For the living room, I want to paint the room in a way that will be compatible with my green sofa and loveseat. I'm thinking about re-painting that dark red to match the dark gray/brown of the one wall in the living room, so that the green sofa and loveseat don't clash with the wall colors. Do you think that would work? Do you have another suggestion?

For the bonus room, that green in the one corner has got to go. I hate it! I was thinking about re-painting it to the blue. That leaves the question of what color couch to put in the room. I've been looking online, and there aren't a whole lot of blue sectionals I see that would go with those paint colors. I was thinking about perhaps a darker charcoal gray sectional, but I'm not sure. What would you suggest?

Looking forward to your ideas.

Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:35 PM

61,916 posts, read 87,471,218 times
Where are the pictures?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:44 PM

37,181 posts, read 41,377,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Where are the pictures?
You have to copy and post the link to the search bar - or the poster has them in an album here at CD.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:36 PM

I uploaded the photos to an album and posted the link to them in my original post. Just to confirm, they are located here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ouse-pics.html

I didn't see a way for that to appear as a hyperlink in my original post (although when I preview this post, it does show up as a hyperlink. Go figure).

Edit: However, when I click Post, it shows up with the BB code instead of a hyperlink. Weird.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:02 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
New posters arent allowed to post links. It's an anti spam measure.

Your album shows up though.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:28 AM

8,432 posts, read 7,448,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Where are the pictures?
Right here.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Thanks for posting this.

I'm still looking for some suggestions based on my original post.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
Your green sofa is too small for the living room, and it doesn't really go well with the colors in the bonus room. I think the original owners have it pretty right with furniture placement, except the sofa and table might be better pulled more toward the TV. I would want a chair there as well; there seems to be enough room for one.

If you don't like the red, then I would paint it out. However I find the colors in both rooms quite pleasant. If I had to find a place for your green sofa, I'd put it in the living room with other seating. I am not convinced that it clashes with the red. It is hard to tell on a monitor, but generally red and green are complimentary colors as they are opposite each other on the color wheel. I think colorwise, the sofa would work best there, but you need more seating. I think the red wall just makes the room though.

I do understand that the green corner in the bonus room is odd. The wall colors there look grayish and cool. I don't see the walls as blue so much as cool and gray. I wouldn't put a blue sofa anywhere, frankly. I think you need a different color. I put some yellowed, grayed greens in my gray blue bedroom and they look good. Or you could go red, or brown red, as in red leather sectionals.

But what you put in the bonus room depends on how you intend to use it. So, if you will use it to watch TV, then the right sectional might be fine. If you use part of it as an office, then zone it off for the different functions, and plan furniture to be used for those functions.

I actually find the wall colors in your new house quite on trend and nicely planned out.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Your green sofa is too small for the living room, and it doesn't really go well with the colors in the bonus room. I think the original owners have it pretty right with furniture placement, except the sofa and table might be better pulled more toward the TV. I would want a chair there as well; there seems to be enough room for one.
Sorry if I wasn't clear on the original post. There is a green sofa and loveseat that we'll be moving to the new house, not just the one piece I photographed to go with this thread. I only posted a picture of the loveseat, not both, just so everyone could see the color.

If I had to hazard a guess, I think the original owners placed the furniture the way they did so that it wouldn't block the flow from the dining area. Even so, you are correct that the furniture could be pulled more toward the TV. I plan on doing that with our furniture.

I like your suggestion about adding a chair. I hadn't thought about that, but it's certainly something I will consider.

Quote:
If you don't like the red, then I would paint it out. However I find the colors in both rooms quite pleasant. If I had to find a place for your green sofa, I'd put it in the living room with other seating. I am not convinced that it clashes with the red. It is hard to tell on a monitor, but generally red and green are complimentary colors as they are opposite each other on the color wheel. I think colorwise, the sofa would work best there, but you need more seating. I think the red wall just makes the room though.
I was thinking that the living room would look a little too much like a Christmas tree with the red wall and the green sofa. Would you just leave the color as-is? If not, what color choices could you suggest instead of the red? I'm just trying to plan out what we do prior to moving so our contractor can re-paint the rooms/walls we designate.

Quote:
I do understand that the green corner in the bonus room is odd. The wall colors there look grayish and cool. I don't see the walls as blue so much as cool and gray. I wouldn't put a blue sofa anywhere, frankly. I think you need a different color. I put some yellowed, grayed greens in my gray blue bedroom and they look good. Or you could go red, or brown red, as in red leather sectionals.
What color could you suggest to replace that green? Is my idea to paint it to match the blue as good as any, or could you suggest something else?

Thanks for the suggestions on sofa colors for the bonus room. I am personally devoid of too much imagination when it comes to making colors go together, so I value your opinions on this. It gives me something to think about as I shop for furniture for that room.

Quote:
But what you put in the bonus room depends on how you intend to use it. So, if you will use it to watch TV, then the right sectional might be fine. If you use part of it as an office, then zone it off for the different functions, and plan furniture to be used for those functions.
I plan on having my computer in a corner of the room, and will plan accordingly. That's another thing that will be a challenge, since I'm not moving a computer desk into the new house. However, as you point out, I will have to make sure the room is properly zoned for that.

Quote:
I actually find the wall colors in your new house quite on trend and nicely planned out.
I agree. We've always just had neutral (white or beige) paint throughout the houses we've lived in. This is taking me totally out of my comfort zone, but in a good way. I just need to make sure that the furniture and paint choices we make go well with the living space.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
Tucson Red 1300 Paint - Benjamin Moore Tucson Red Paint Color Details

This link shows you a red that is similar to your wall with two sets of accent colors. One of the accent colors is somewhat like the color of your sofa. It may be that the red shown on the B. Moore site is not accurate. But you can see that in principle the two colors might be OK together. And, no, I don't think the room would look like a Christmas tree. Christmas green is different.

G.I. Green 2149-20 Paint - Benjamin Moore G.I. Green Paint Color Details

This link is interesting. I tried to match your sofa's color to a green offered in the B. Moore's palette. I think I got pretty close; if you look at the two suggested combos, you will see some possible accent colors.

On the bright green in the bonus room, I'd either choose one of adjacent colors or another, warmer color. Here is an interesting link:

Summer Nights 777 Paint - Benjamin Moore Summer Nights Paint Color Details

I think this is pretty close to your darker walls. I note that one of the accent colors, the tan is very close to your doors! So pretty. I'd probably go in that direction. I like to combine warmer and cooler tones in a room. That room is quite cool. But I do love the colors!

I use B. Moore's helpful site because I can look at colors and see what they suggest for accents. I am not suggesting that these colors are exactly like the ones in your new home, and I would never suggest they are the best or only way to go. But sometimes seeing things like this helps one think in new ways about color.

The colors in your home are, for the most part, pretty neutral. Even the grayed blues are very contemporary neutrals. You should be able to find lovely things for both rooms. If the colors were horribly dated, you have a much harder time finding things that looked good.

You have a really pretty house. I hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating