Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 04:51 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,166,775 times

Advertisements

I have a north facing bedroom with a large palladium window facing north. It gets the filtered light then I have the overhead light, two 60 watt lampa and two other small room lamps for additional lighting in the evenings. I am planning to paint it a mid-deep blue but am stuck. I wanted a peacock blue but am afraid it will go black at night in the corners. Has anyone used SW Interesting Aqua, Meditative ,or even Moody Blue which I am leaning towards. I realize the LRV is below 50 on those 3 but during the day the room is fairly bright and if I have all the lights on at night it is light enough yet being the room is very large with a vaulted ceiling there are shadows in corners. Open to suggestions! Want to use a neutral that compliments the blue tone from the bedroom and thinking about using a neutral color in the bathroom would be best with the blue (?) which also has a vaulted ceiling and white trim. Thinking of possibly doing ceiling in lightest of blue on the strip in bedroom where heavy crown molding in white trim is.. yay or nay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 05:17 PM

22,561 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I have two north-facing bedrooms.

Once is BM Bright and Early; the other is BM Denim Wash.
They both get compliments!

Old 11-12-2015, 09:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I have a north facing bedroom with a large palladium window facing north. It gets the filtered light then I have the overhead light, two 60 watt lampa and two other small room lamps for additional lighting in the evenings. I am planning to paint it a mid-deep blue but am stuck. I wanted a peacock blue but am afraid it will go black at night in the corners. Has anyone used SW Interesting Aqua, Meditative ,or even Moody Blue which I am leaning towards. I realize the LRV is below 50 on those 3 but during the day the room is fairly bright and if I have all the lights on at night it is light enough yet being the room is very large with a vaulted ceiling there are shadows in corners. Open to suggestions! Want to use a neutral that compliments the blue tone from the bedroom and thinking about using a neutral color in the bathroom would be best with the blue (?) which also has a vaulted ceiling and white trim. Thinking of possibly doing ceiling in lightest of blue on the strip in bedroom where heavy crown molding in white trim is.. yay or nay?
I saw a bedroom painted a deep blue when I was looking for a new house. I fell in love! When we had our own bedroom painted, I chose B. Moore's Nimbus Gray. Nimbus Gray 2131-50 Paint - Benjamin Moore Nimbus Gray Paint Color Details The room has little natural light, and so it does look like a deep blue most of the time. I have to say I love the color, and it represents rest and sleep to me. My one regret is that I didn't have the ceiling painted a lighter hue of the same color. I feel the color on the ceiling, which is the same throughout the house, is too much of a contrast. I think the lightest hue of the wall color would have been best in that case.

You are presented with a north facing room, and you want to paint it a deep blue. When I searched the B. Moore's site for moody blue, the results were this: Chiswell Blue CW-660 Paint - Benjamin Moore Chiswell Blue Paint Color Details It doesn't look that deep, but I believe it would appear nicely deep in a north facing room. You might choose a tone one hue lighter than this, and see if that would be the best look for a darker room. If you have med toned, warm colored furniture, the paint will look different than if you have very dark colored furniture.

But in general, I think the deeper blues are perfect for bedrooms. I hope you find the perfect color for your bedroom.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:04 PM

This is the SW moody blue I have been looking at but is it warm enough for a north facing room? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/490329478150709829/

Old 11-12-2015, 10:40 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Does it really matter which way the room/windows face? Wouldn't it be more important that the color go with your decor/accessories?

Old 11-12-2015, 11:21 PM

North facing rooms get blue light or filtered sunlight and colors can grey out where south facing rooms get yellow warm sunny light which can bring yellow tones into the room. North facing rooms can go drab sometimes and blues are hard colors. Blue would go with the fabrics I have. I am painting over green..Just tired of it. Both colors go with what I have.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:22 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
Our north facing bedroom has BM's Atmospheric. It's a beautiful, warm blue that is very soothing!

Old 11-13-2015, 10:57 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Both colors go with what I have.
OK. So what's the dilemma? You want strangers picking the color for you?

Old 11-13-2015, 02:49 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I had Benjamin Moore Waters Edge in my north-facing bedroom and it looked great. It looks very similar to the SW Moody Blue you like.

Water's Edge 1635 Paint - Benjamin Moore Water's Edge Paint Color Details

Buy a sample of the one you like and put it on each wall and live with it for a few days, to see what it looks like in different lights.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:59 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Those blues referenced are cool blues. Warm blues have yellow tone in them.

And frankly, I find these cool blues quite depressing for rooms on the north side of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating