Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:13 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,672 times

Advertisements

I am looking for tile to redo the floor of my kitchen and entry way. I am looking at porcelain for durability and warmth but a friend just introduced me to something called epoxy flooring. Some of the designs and colors were amazing but I am wondering about the idea of an entire floor made of epoxy. Seems to....uhm synthetic and chemical. I am also wondering about long term toxicity issues. Any one have any experience with residential epoxy flooring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 08:31 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Once epoxy cures it is inert, but you better love it AND hope that future buyer do too as it can be nearly impossible to get anything to bond to it down the road. It is probably better suited to an industrial / loft style structure than a traditional home...

Old 09-04-2015, 06:23 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,905 times
I'm curious about this as well. I'm considering using it in my basement laundry room. Is it pretty easy to use/apply?

Old 09-04-2015, 07:00 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I'm curious about this as well. I'm considering using it in my basement laundry room. Is it pretty easy to use/apply?
Just look for "garage epoxy"- you'll find everything you need information wise.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:01 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Just look for "garage epoxy"- you'll find everything you need information wise.
I did look---none of the sites answered my question.....

Old 12-17-2015, 04:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,846 times
The final decision is yours. Epoxy is good. It depends on the type of you coating you do. I go it done in my garage through an epoxy floor coating company called Proseal Concrete Floor Care Systems in Mississauga, Mississauga. The thing with epoxy is that everyone may not like. It's life depends on the prep and the quality of the coating. There are people who do it in their kitchen! But I doubt about the entry way. Do some research! Everyone has a different taste mate

Old 12-17-2015, 08:18 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,926,681 times
I found this link while looking at pictures of beautiful epoxy floors. There is definitely a science to it and it definitely looks like a job for professionals. But wow, there are sure a lot of cool designs.

http://www.slideshare.net/AkisAposto...xy-floors-fail

Last edited by geebabe; 12-17-2015 at 08:27 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 05:14 PM

183 posts, read 322,731 times
Epoxy is great for garages and relatively unfinished basements to dress up ugly old concrete. I have done my garage a few times over the years and it lasts a long time. I see some of this in restaurants along with stained concrete also so you may be on to something. I say look into it but only if you are looking for a very modern look as it is also rather brash and unforgiving style wise. I put ceramic tile in my kitchen and there are a zillion options out there for that and porcelain so you won't lack for options either way. Both epoxy and tile are relatively DIY friendly too if you go that route. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2015, 07:12 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post
Epoxy is great for garages and relatively unfinished basements to dress up ugly old concrete. I have done my garage a few times over the years and it lasts a long time. I see some of this in restaurants along with stained concrete also so you may be on to something. I say look into it but only if you are looking for a very modern look as it is also rather brash and unforgiving style wise. I put ceramic tile in my kitchen and there are a zillion options out there for that and porcelain so you won't lack for options either way. Both epoxy and tile are relatively DIY friendly too if you go that route. Good luck!

Thanks for the info......decided to go with tile.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:59 PM

12,842 posts, read 867,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post
An all epoxy floor is not "relatively DIY friendly". I think you are talking about epoxy painted floors since you mentioned garages and unfinished basements. Been there, done that. There is way, way more to the epoxy floors as you can see by searching the subject on-line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating