Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 2,846 times

Advertisements

I don't have much to go off of. I'm living in an apartment that my parents used to use. It's still filled with their furniture and I'm trying to make it my own. This is the one part of the room I'm working on for now. I'll post as it gets better and more under control.

The couch is theirs, but I decided to work with some of the things I have. I found the table on craigslist for $40. I recently ordered the white and grey rug on sale for $50, and got it in today! Everything that's blue in the picture are little things that I had already accented around the apartment.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions or a critique if I did well for a college student's very small budget.

I'm still deciding how to place the things on the glass coffee table. I'd like to add some flowers.

What I'd like to do next:
-Change the 3 pieces of artwork at the top.
-Different throw pillows, possibly?
-Maybe a grey lampshade.
-Table on the right side is my parents. I don't really want it here. (I know the speakers are not symmetrical, but I had no other place for them at the moment.)

I'm aiming for an artsy studio, contemporary-ish, cozy look. (All those adjectives might help out anyone with ideas haha)

Partial Livingroom critique-img_7941.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 05:13 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,624,722 times
definitely throw pillows next. That will make a world of difference with the plain brown of the sofa. Take a look at Pier 1, World Market, Target for some ideas.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:41 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,129,518 times
New art would help, and what is there is hung way too high .

A funky lamp would help too. The lamp that is there is too traditional, unless you can paint it a fun color and find a funky shade, depends on how much you want to spend really.

Pillows or a throw or some kind would liven things up a lot.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:14 PM

Thanks so much!

Old 01-19-2016, 06:15 PM

Thanks! I love those stores, too

Old 01-19-2016, 07:09 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,011,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivvy26 View Post
I don't have much to go off of. I'm living in an apartment that my parents used to use. It's still filled with their furniture and I'm trying to make it my own. This is the one part of the room I'm working on for now. I'll post as it gets better and more under control.

The couch is theirs, but I decided to work with some of the things I have. I found the table on craigslist for $40. I recently ordered the white and grey rug on sale for $50, and got it in today! Everything that's blue in the picture are little things that I had already accented around the apartment.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions or a critique if I did well for a college student's very small budget.

I'm still deciding how to place the things on the glass coffee table. I'd like to add some flowers.

What I'd like to do next:
-Change the 3 pieces of artwork at the top.
-Different throw pillows, possibly?
-Maybe a grey lampshade.
-Table on the right side is my parents. I don't really want it here. (I know the speakers are not symmetrical, but I had no other place for them at the moment.)

I'm aiming for an artsy studio, contemporary-ish, cozy look. (All those adjectives might help out anyone with ideas haha)

Attachment 164663
I think you've done pretty well on that budget. The one thing that is needed is color. Painting the wall a great color, like a medium blue, would be fabulous, but if you can't paint the walls then maybe a very large print or a lot of colorful pictures and pillows.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,257,162 times
I like the blue stuff! Try clustering things together, a little off center though. A higher thing with a lower thing and then maybe a plate or tile. Remember the rule of odd numbers. Unless you have a pair of candlesticks or similar, use three, five or seven items of varying heights and visual weights.

I like your brown sofa and your coffee table.

Sure buy some throw pillows and enjoy your space.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:31 AM

914 posts, read 1,142,718 times
Definitely throw pillows in a color like blue. Blues go great with brown. Right now everything is a bit monotone, so new throw pillows and a cute lampshade would help immensely. What you did seem to get right is the furniture proportions to the room and area rug.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:02 AM

@Mnseca Thanks! I'm not sure if I'd be able to paint the walls, but I'll have to check. It would definitely help. I really like the large print idea!

@silibran Thanks for reminding me, I'll see if I can cluster things at different levels.

@Twodoor2 the table was a little bigger than I expected, but it still works. Thanks for your suggestions! I think the easiest thing for me to do next would be throw pillows.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:02 PM

50,438 posts, read 64,233,743 times
I like the sofa and the coffee table. I like symmetry, so I would have two end tables of the same height with some nice lamps.
I agree that I don't like the art and it is hung too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating