Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 9,824 times

Advertisements

hi i my newbie here, i am little confuse about my home interior, recently i decided to change my home flooring i want to change it to laminated or cork flooring or tile. so anyone can suggest me which is better flooring option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 02:32 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkfloorsales View Post
i want to change it to laminated or cork flooring or tile.
Best flooring is Real Wood, not fake *real* looking wood.
When installed right, will last for a long time and can be rather quiet !

Laminated *can* be a good choice, but watch out for inferior stuff (cheepy) that has bad outgassing stuff. Not healthy !
*Cork* -- not sure .
Tile is *cold*, and loud !

Old 03-16-2016, 02:46 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Where do you live? What is on the floor now? What sort of sub floor do you have?

These are important to know.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:28 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
hi i my newbie here, i am little confuse about my home interior, recently i decided to change my home flooring i want to change it to laminated or cork flooring or tile. so anyone can suggest me which is better flooring option.
fashion changes fast and flooring you pick today might be out of style 15 years down the road.

How many people do you see putting in blond maple these days?

I suggest not over spending, our kids may well buy homes with wall to wall carpets and wonder why we all wanted "hard surfaces"...

Old 03-16-2016, 04:55 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times
Flooring is very dependent on where you live and how you live. A tile floor may make sense in Florida, but would be unsuitable in the Northeast (unless you ran heating under it). Reversely a carpeted floor next to a beach doesn't make a lot of sense.
My new living room has a slab foundation and is in the South were there is high humidity. I'm opting for engineered hardwood.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:20 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
I've got cork in my kitchen, picked in part b/c I think it's gorgeous, but mostly for the softness underfoot because the subfloor is concrete.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
It depends which rooms are being discussed. I don't know that I would want cork in the kitchen, for instance. Nor tile for that matter. A lot depends on the room and what you want the flooring to do for you.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:31 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I'd skip laminate and choose vinyl---vinyl has come a long way and is more durable. Also like the vinyl planks. Personally, I dislike tile b/c it's hard underfoot (obviously) and I don't like cleaning grout. Don't like cork at all.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:13 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I've got cork in my kitchen, picked in part b/c I think it's gorgeous, but mostly for the softness underfoot because the subfloor is concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I'd skip laminate and choose vinyl---vinyl has come a long way and is more durable. Also like the vinyl planks. Personally, I dislike tile b/c it's hard underfoot (obviously) and I don't like cleaning grout. Don't like cork at all.
A long time ago, we had a reason to change the flooring in the dining room and the kitchen.
We actually were happy to *find* vinyl flooring that looked like Dutch Blue Delft Tile ! It was amazingly looking *real* !
It also was thick and soft, so we opted for that kind.
The sad part was that it was so soft, and with 5 kids running around and dropping a lot of stuff, it lasted about 7 or 8 years and then it had so many damaged parts, we had to replace it again ...

Today, we have the Square Vinyl planks, and again, you have to do a double take, because you think it was real wood ! The only *problem* was to make it look random, but it was OK, since you could rotate each whichever way. There are 6 patterns so hard to see *repeat design*.

Our bedrooms have carpet. The hallways downstairs same as kitchen. The laundryroom stone tiles, because it is also the *mud* room. The living room real bamboo wood planks and area rugs. Upstairs baths stone tiles and hallways bamboo planks. Stairs are carpeted (the cheepy stuff), because it wears really fast ! Office vinyl tiles (easy to clean spills)

Last edited by irman; 03-17-2016 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-30-2016, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 9,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Best flooring is Real Wood, not fake *real* looking wood.
When installed right, will last for a long time and can be rather quiet !

Laminated *can* be a good choice, but watch out for inferior stuff (cheepy) that has bad outgassing stuff. Not healthy !
*Cork* -- not sure .
Tile is *cold*, and loud !
ok thanks for your suggestion irman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating