Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 04:48 PM

4 posts, read 3,124 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm looking at renting a new 487 sq feet studio. I'm trying to figure out how to save the most space so that it feels open and light. I don't really like the setup the current tenant has, so my question is where can I put the bed/sofa and other furniture (don't have too much else) to make it feel big? I am looking at maybe getting sheer curtain dividers for the bed, and leaving them open so it feels like another room, but it's not closed off, making the apt feel smaller. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Where to put furniture in potential studio apt?-medium-8.jpg   Where to put furniture in potential studio apt?-medium-5.jpg   Where to put furniture in potential studio apt?-medium-11.jpg   Where to put furniture in potential studio apt?-medium-4.jpg   Where to put furniture in potential studio apt?-medium-3.jpg  

Where to put furniture in potential studio apt?-medium.jpg   Where to put furniture in potential studio apt?-medium-9.jpg   Where to put furniture in potential studio apt?-medium-6.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 04:55 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
A floor plan would be more useful... do you have one?

Old 04-07-2016, 05:00 PM

I do! Just attached it.
Attached Thumbnails
Where to put furniture in potential studio apt?-medium.png  

Old 04-07-2016, 06:15 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
I really like the look of open style shelves that are used as a divider between a bed and a "living room" area (or dining area). Like some Ikea bookcases, that type of thing, that let the light shine through. They create a nice barrier without blocking light.

The problem with hanging curtains is having to hang the curtain rods from the ceiling. With bookshelves, they're functional and don't require any drilling into the ceiling or anything.

You could look up "studio apartment divider" on Pinterest for a ton of ideas.

You don't need a coffee table--you can get a couple of nesting tables that will serve the purpose, but if you do get a coffee table, see if you can get one on wheels--very useful.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:19 PM

Cool! I've looked into that idea too!! I've never heard of nesting tables before though. Looking at the layout of the apartment, where do you think it'd be best to put the bed/bookcase?

Old 04-07-2016, 06:25 PM

I suggest using it to separate the dining room from the living/bedroom. The bookcase doesn't even need to go all the way up to the ceiling... might be a bit better if it doesn't. It'll let more light thru if it doesn't go all the way up.

Are you going to use a combo sofa/bed? Or futon? Or will you have a separate sofa and bed?

Old 04-07-2016, 06:29 PM

Do you think it'd be awkward? The "dining room" leads to the kitchen and bathroom. I have a full size bed and a love seat couch!

Old 04-07-2016, 06:51 PM

That's the only area where I think there's room for a divider. If it's awkward to cut off the traffic "lane", then maybe don't use a divider at all.

You could get an inexpensive cover for the bed, and a couple of throw pillows, that you can put on the bed for when you have company. Like an extra couch space. Urban Outfitters or Target would have that sort of stuff. It isn't totally necessary to "hide" the bed.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:10 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
be careful about using a free-standing bookshelf in this way, they are generally not designed to float in a room and can be unstable without some anchoring. You wouldn't want the thing to fall over on you. I'm sure there are ways to anchor it to make it stable, or maybe a lower one that wouldn't be too top heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating