Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 01:00 AM

21 posts, read 17,915 times

Advertisements

A home gym is an appealing investment for homeowners. It saves on transport, health club fees and time. A dedication to fitness is easier to keep when your exercise equipment is in your home. Converting the garage into a fitness center allows you to work with a great space - large and square - and does away with the necessity convert another room that is used for other functions or to construct an addition. Whether you decide on a state or the most basic -of-the art health club, the basic steps are exactly the same.

Step 1
Some municipalities employ building codes to some garage conversion for use as a home gym.

Step 2
Organize your garage conversion and also make a list to guide your efforts. Your list should include all characteristics of the conversion, including room measurements.

Step 3
The type of insulation you need depends upon the climate where you live.

Step 4
Hire a licensed electrician to expand the electric wiring in the garage to accommodate heat, exercise equipment, cooling, lighting and other electrical needs based in your plan. For example, in case you plan to install a ceiling fan or have a little fridge in your fitness center, the garage will need wiring for those items.

Step 5
Expand heat and cooling vents to the garage or install an air conditioner and ceiling fans for proper ventilation.

Step 6
Hang Sheetrock. After completion of wiring and insulation, finish the walls on your home gym.

Step 7
Lay the flooring. You could pick wood flooring or garage floor tiles or mats. Add rubber exercise mats to supply soft workout areas where desired.

Step 8
Purchase exercise equipment that fulfills with your fitness fits and needs the space. Leave enough room throughout the gear for maintenance as well as movement.

Tips
The garage doors are removed by some homeowners and make a windowed wall in their position. You might decide to install a lower, ceiling that is insulated with ceiling or Sheetrock tiles for energy efficiency, whether you choose to get rid of the garage doors. The ceiling should admit the height and use of your exercise equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 07:17 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyChow View Post
A home gym is an appealing investment for homeowners. It saves on transport, health club fees and time. A dedication to fitness is easier to keep when your exercise equipment is in your home. Converting the garage into a fitness center allows you to work with a great space - large and square - and does away with the necessity convert another room that is used for other functions or to construct an addition. Whether you decide on a state or the most basic -of-the art health club, the basic steps are exactly the same.

Step 1
Some municipalities employ building codes to some garage conversion for use as a home gym.

Step 2
Organize your garage conversion and also make a list to guide your efforts. Your list should include all characteristics of the conversion, including room measurements.

Step 3

Step 4
Hire a licensed electrician to expand the electric wiring in the garage to accommodate heat, exercise equipment, cooling, lighting and other electrical needs based in your plan. For example, in case you plan to install a ceiling fan or have a little fridge in your fitness center, the garage will need wiring for those items.

Step 5
Expand heat and cooling vents to the garage or install an air conditioner and ceiling fans for proper ventilation.

Step 6
Hang Sheetrock. After completion of wiring and insulation, finish the walls on your home gym.

Step 7
Lay the flooring. You could pick wood flooring or garage floor tiles or mats. Add rubber exercise mats to supply soft workout areas where desired.

Step 8
Purchase exercise equipment that fulfills with your fitness fits and needs the space. Leave enough room throughout the gear for maintenance as well as movement.

Tips
The garage doors are removed by some homeowners and make a windowed wall in their position. You might decide to install a lower, ceiling that is insulated with ceiling or Sheetrock tiles for energy efficiency, whether you choose to get rid of the garage doors. The ceiling should admit the height and use of your exercise equipment.
That's fine and all if you have no plans to sell your house. If you do then many people will object to not having a garage whether they use it or not. So no I don't think a garage gym is a good investment as it will appeal to just a segment of people.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:30 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
A home gym is an appealing investment for homeowners. It saves on transport, health club fees and time. A dedication to fitness is easier to keep when your exercise equipment is in your home. Converting the garage into a fitness center allows you to work with a great space - large and square - and does away with the necessity convert another room that is used for other functions or to construct an addition.
A garage is a "room used for other functions".

By the time one spends the money on the conversion, and purchashed decent quality equipment, I'm not sure it's much of a money saver over a gym membership.

When it snows overnight and I'm leaving for work at 7 a.m., I'd much prefer a warm (or at least not cold), dry car, rather than brushing/scraping to start the day. Same in the hot summer - I'd prefer to get in a car that hasn't been sitting in the sun; or avoid having to unload groceries in the rain.....

Old 04-08-2016, 07:33 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Step 8

Tips
You don't really need any of that for a home gym unless you want it super comfortable or you're thinking yoga or something. Both the house I grew up in and the house I just put on the market had 'home gyms' which consisted of a lot of equipment in the garage. Just painted drywall (the spec'd garage finish for the houses). No additional electric required - I'm not using anything that pulls more than any power tool would. If you're in a really hot area of the country, a little ptac or mini split might be useful, but i just threw a couple fans in the garage and opened the door in the summer or used an electric space heater in a sweatshirt in the winter.

The only thing I would really do differently is if/whenever I build something at some point, I'd make the garage a little deeper to accommodate equipment with slightly more room.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:33 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Bad idea.
Seriously.

Convert a room in the house instead, and leave the garage for its original purpose... to house a vehicle or two.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:44 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I've found a home gym to really be a waste of funny for me. Why? Because the gym membership near our house is cheap. When I come home after a long day's work, I don't want to run so the machine sits unused. When the machine breaks down/needs to be serviced, I have to pay for that. At least with the gym, there's many treadmills, ellipticals, weight machines, etc. so that if something breaks, they take care of it and also take care of the maintenance.

Home gyms work for some but definitely not for me, and definitely not worth spending $$$ to remodel a room.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:54 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Honestly, I don't think this is a good investment. If you were to turn it into a much needed family space, that might be different.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:59 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Or, you could: a) back out car; b) roll in treadmill. Voila!

Old 04-10-2016, 04:40 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Any realtor would tell you this is not a smart idea. I am also wondering of the OP were you simply opining or did you think you were responding to a question in another post? It just seems "odd" to be selling the forum on something no one asked about as far as I can tell.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:10 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Any realtor would tell you this is not a smart idea. I am also wondering of the OP were you simply opining or did you think you were responding to a question in another post? It just seems "odd" to be selling the forum on something no one asked about as far as I can tell.

The OP has nothing to say- the post was a "cut&paste" from a copyrighted "by-line" on another website. As was the other thread started by the OP- lets just say it's SPAM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating