Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 12:05 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,472,620 times

Advertisements

Check with friends or here on the city thread closest to you for furniture stores that sell high end furniture at discount. Usually, they carry overstocks or floor models they've bought up. Also, stores that resell quality furniture that was used to stage homes for sale. And, ditto consignment stores. All these places have sales on top of their discounts and will also negotiate with you. Additionally, if there are scratches a lot of times they are minor and don't require total refinishing. Lots of times they can fix it for you with a furniture pen and some buffing.

If you are really industrious check out higher end neighborhoods the night before trash pickup. You may be surprised what you can find on the street lol.....especially things like end tables or dining sets.

Also, check unfinished wood furniture stores. They have come a long way in what they offer.

I would look for your sofa, dining room and mattresses first as these are likely to be the priciest, especially the dining room if you are looking for solid wood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 05:00 PM

52 posts, read 40,049 times
Never forget ebay

And in uk we have sites like gumtree where you can find set price used nsrky new or older items for collection, if you can get hold of an affordable man with a van or a friend, theres small or no courier costs
There must be a usa version

The amount of money you can save can be astronomical unless you just hate any tinest scratch or fault

Auctions too

If you fit out with a bit of furnture like this you can afford to change it all again soon if its only cost a couple dinners out

Old 07-17-2016, 02:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,240,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree.

Bed FRAMES and headboards, yes. Mattresses? No.

OP, you can prioritize your items. For example, you might need a dining table but you don't necessarily NEED a buffet right away.

I would focus on some quality pieces. One tip I can pass along: Anything upholstered we have bought from Rooms to Go was worthless after only a couple of years of regular family use.
As far as I'm concerned it is useless from the get go.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:33 AM

9,022 posts, read 13,883,643 times
Maybe i am different,but i would rather buy NEW Ikea furniture than used furniture.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,240,647 times
and I would rather have used quality real wood furniture in good shape than pressed composite "wood' (glued sawdust) from Ikea. I suspect it might be generational. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:35 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,923,086 times
IKEA sofas are pretty durable and can be found under 1k so sure if that's one of your big purchases you can find deals in different retail stores or online. I would spend money on lighting that creates a little drama and lights your room beautifully. We use overhead, table and floor lighting to create a relaxing ambiance for our main great room. I purchased lamps for the bedrooms and use Chinese lanterns in my kids room for decor as well as lighting.

I have an eclectic mix of furniture with recurring themes so things don't get too eclectic for my taste. I buy in twos for consistency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating