Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 05:42 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just finished updating our bathroom and instead of buying everything new we tried repurposing a couple of our things. Luckily my stepdaughter had a gallon of good BM self leveling paint she was going to use for her old kitchen cabinets but decided not to. Her loss was our gain

First off we had a space between out toilet and vanity. I ordered a tiered shelf but didn't like the quality of it. Meanwhile we were also redoing the spare bedroom and we had some extra louver closet doors. We decided to make a narrow shelf using one of the louver doors. sprayed the exterior using a spray gun:

And I rolled the interior shelves. This gave us a lot of extra space in our bathroom:

We were going to buy a new vanity but when we saw the prices and the bad quality we decided to keep the one we had. Here is the original picture of when we bought it 8 years ago:

After we used the spray gun to paint it:

Now we have a fresh look in our bathroom and saved close to $1000.00(if we bought a good quality vanity and a storage cabinet). We are happy with it and it was very easy to build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 06:00 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Very nice!

Old 06-17-2016, 06:01 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,760 times
Love the shelving using the door! Both ideas are great, btw.
Mar

Old 06-17-2016, 09:08 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Terrific!

Old 06-17-2016, 09:31 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Another great job. I am always impressed with how professional your projects look!

The vanity came out really nice, did you use the "new" water borne stuff from Benjamin Moor or an older product? Home Interior Paints & Exterior Paints| Benjamin Moore

For the humidity issues in a bathroom I'll try to stick with a more traditional urethane enamel unless somebody guarantees the new fangled stuff is as good or the EPA completely pans the old stuff...

The scale of louver "cabinet" looks a bit odd to me, I'd worry that if guests got overserved they might try to exit the room through the shelves... I wonder if you could find a "toe kick valance" that blends a bit more with the vanity for a more cohesive look? Toe Kick Valances for Cabinets | WalzCraft

Old 06-17-2016, 11:08 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
I love the vanity, it really looks fabulous. Personally, I am not fond of the shutter cabinet , but you did a nice job with it and as long as you are happy that is all that matters.

Speaking generically, here, I rarely love the repurposed items, but that is because my eye always seems drawn to what it used to be, so maybe that is my problem. You certainly did a great job on it.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:50 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Thanks all. Mike and I are not usually the ones to repurpose but it just made sense this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Another great job. I am always impressed with how professional your projects look!

The vanity came out really nice, did you use the "new" water borne stuff from Benjamin Moor or an older product? Home Interior Paints & Exterior Paints| Benjamin Moore

For the humidity issues in a bathroom I'll try to stick with a more traditional urethane enamel unless somebody guarantees the new fangled stuff is as good or the EPA completely pans the old stuff...

The scale of louver "cabinet" looks a bit odd to me, I'd worry that if guests got overserved they might try to exit the room through the shelves... I wonder if you could find a "toe kick valance" that blends a bit more with the vanity for a more cohesive look? Toe Kick Valances for Cabinets | WalzCraft
Yes we used the BM Advance paint in a semi gloss. The color is Bittersweet Chocolate and it does a really nice job. It is the old can though if that makes a difference. Nicole bought it before we helped her with her kitchen remodel…3 or 4 years ago(??)

Ha, ha…we thought about cutting the cabinet down and hanging it but why lose the storage. Besides it is stronger now that the base is on the floor. Thanks for the tow kick site…it's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I love the vanity, it really looks fabulous. Personally, I am not fond of the shutter cabinet , but you did a nice job with it and as long as you are happy that is all that matters.

Speaking generically, here, I rarely love the repurposed items, but that is because my eye always seems drawn to what it used to be, so maybe that is my problem. You certainly did a great job on it.

Funny…I hate louver doors but it seems we have a lot in our house for the air circulation. It works though and it didn't cost us anything so I'm happy about that

Old 06-17-2016, 04:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
My husband and I just finished updating our bathroom and instead of buying everything new we tried repurposing a couple of our things. Luckily my stepdaughter had a gallon of good BM self leveling paint she was going to use for her old kitchen cabinets but decided not to. Her loss was our gain

First off we had a space between out toilet and vanity. I ordered a tiered shelf but didn't like the quality of it. Meanwhile we were also redoing the spare bedroom and we had some extra louver closet doors. We decided to make a narrow shelf using one of the louver doors. sprayed the exterior using a spray gun:

And I rolled the interior shelves. This gave us a lot of extra space in our bathroom:

We were going to buy a new vanity but when we saw the prices and the bad quality we decided to keep the one we had. Here is the original picture of when we bought it 8 years ago:

After we used the spray gun to paint it:

Now we have a fresh look in our bathroom and saved close to $1000.00(if we bought a good quality vanity and a storage cabinet). We are happy with it and it was very easy to build.
Good job!

Old 06-17-2016, 10:25 PM

26 posts, read 31,551 times
Good presence of mind you got!

Old 06-18-2016, 03:08 PM

52 posts, read 39,854 times
Really nice looking and the doored shelving is just in the right place too to hold all the Toileteries, at hands reach next to the vanity.

Amazing what some spray paint and new handles can do when you put in a bit of effort and vision. Well done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating