Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 09:39 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times

Advertisements

Have you considered a wood burning stove instead of a fireplace? It will eat a lot less room and still perform function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 03:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
It looks like to me that the TV is one of those giant ones and would not fit over the fireplace.

I have a similar setup in my family/living room! I have a corner fireplace in a rectangular room with several openings.

You could flip the TV and sofa to opposite walls, group the seating closer to the TV ( I think it is too far apart), and then more people would have a view of the fireplace. The way it is now, seating is grouped so that it is hard to appreciate the fireplace.

However, because this room has the large TV, it does become the focal point for the room. So, it is logical that the seating should be grouped around it.

If you cannot move the TV to the opposite wall, then the best you can probably do, is to group the furniture more closely to the TV, adding a functional coffee table. You could change the loveseat with the chair, or, frankly get rid of the loveseat and buy another chair. By pulling the furniture close together, you might make room for another chair to be placed near the fireplace. Or, perhaps a small table and two chairs by the window.

Or, you could buy a nice sectional!

I am not for getting rid of the side tables, especially if they have lamps on them. But the ones you have seem awfully small for the size of your sofa.

In fact, your sofa and loveseat seem too big for the room to me. Can the loveseat go into another room?

Old 10-15-2016, 09:26 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,709,792 times
Can you move the tv next to fireplace.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,517 times
Thank you for all the replies. It is definitely not drawn to scale, I drew it very quickly. The tv is not that big, it's a 47". Not sure why I made it so huge in the drawing. We thought about a coffee table but since the couches all recline we decided against it and actually the coffee table is what the tv is sitting on since it matches the end tables. Well have to play around with it. I'll try to move everything close and look at taking out the love seat.

Thank you!

Old 10-16-2016, 07:59 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
Can you switch the sofa and tv, but not use the end tables, and instead get a coffee table?
Coffee tables don't work with a recliner. Between recliners and corners fireplaces, it is almost impossible to have a good arrangement. I have the same issues as OP.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Coffee tables don't work with a recliner. Between recliners and corners fireplaces, it is almost impossible to have a good arrangement. I have the same issues as OP.
We have a round coffee table in a room with a reclining sofa and matching reclining chair. It actually works well.

I want to suggest you hang your TV on the wall, or purchase a media console for it.

I think your TV should be on one of the walls as your corner fireplace is. I couldn't figure it out at first, but that is the difference in my room. If both fireplace and TV are on the same walls, you can view the fireplace easily while watching TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating