Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 04:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

We are still struggling with this. I think we have decided to go with an acrylic shower, because we don't want to spend as much money as using tile or cultured marble would require. We still have to sort out some details of the shower, and DH is wanting to rethink whether we should have our large mirrors taken down in order to remove the brass track they are sitting in. I say, leave the mirrors alone because I think at least one of them is likely to break.

I also don't like having an untouched tiled bath tub, a solid surface vanity counter and an acrylic shower. I hate having so many surfaces in one room. However, the shower is in a small enclosure with the toilet, so it won't be noticeable elsewhere.

These decisions have been so hard for us to make. Neither of us likes to do stuff halfway, or to cut quality corners. But we don't know how long we will live here. And we will be facing two other large expenditures in the future with this house. We need to replace flooring, and we will need to replace a roof in a few years, assuming we live here that long.

We know from experience that when you pour money into a house you may not get that money back when you sell. If the house continues to appreciate, then the chances are better. And, there is the fact that we might both be dead when the house is sold.

I think we need to be conservative, and so does DH, but we are conflicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 05:03 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We are still struggling with this. I think we have decided to go with an acrylic shower, because we don't want to spend as much money as using tile or cultured marble would require. We still have to sort out some details of the shower, and DH is wanting to rethink whether we should have our large mirrors taken down in order to remove the brass track they are sitting in. I say, leave the mirrors alone because I think at least one of them is likely to break.

I also don't like having an untouched tiled bath tub, a solid surface vanity counter and an acrylic shower. I hate having so many surfaces in one room. However, the shower is in a small enclosure with the toilet, so it won't be noticeable elsewhere.

These decisions have been so hard for us to make. Neither of us likes to do stuff halfway, or to cut quality corners. But we don't know how long we will live here. And we will be facing two other large expenditures in the future with this house. We need to replace flooring, and we will need to replace a roof in a few years, assuming we live here that long.

We know from experience that when you pour money into a house you may not get that money back when you sell. If the house continues to appreciate, then the chances are better. And, there is the fact that we might both be dead when the house is sold.

I think we need to be conservative, and so does DH, but we are conflicted.
The wall tile for the shower we are using is relatively inexpensive, will cost around $100 (80 sq feet). We could use the same on the floor of the shower if we wanted but our contractor said that the 2x2 tiles on the mesh work better on the slop of the floor. That will be another $130ish. You could go with an acrylic pan and just do the wall tile. Obviously there is grout costs and such too. Of course the tile I REALLY liked was going to be over $1000 just for the walls, not for a basement bath

Old 10-27-2016, 08:42 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I know you've opted for an acrylic shower, but really I'd choose tile over any of the other surfaces for the shower. Marble sucks, I already have it - stained by the way courtesy of the previous owner - and I am getting rid of it very soon!!! Cultured marble reminds me of the builder grade stuff installed in our last home. If you're going to remodel, it's good to replace with things that enhance your bath. Tile isn't terribly expensive either.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:36 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
One thing I had that I would not do again was sliding glass doors with a chrome track. Might be outdated now, but my goodness they were a cleaning nightmare. Now we have pivoting doors on the shower, trackless, and just clear glass, not textured. Easy to squeegie off and keep clean. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2016, 06:24 PM

Yes, I agree on the doors with tracks. The difference in acrylic and tile is about $5,000. Since we do not have increasing income, we can't count on replenishing our savings after we spend to redo the bath. We can afford the $17,000-19,000 but we worry about needing the money in the future.

The reason we have high costs is that we are putting new counters, sinks and hardware on two vanities, as well as redoing the shower.

I tend to think that the acrylic shower enclosure will be hidden away in the toilet enclosure, so that it won't be all that noticeable. But I hate having three different surfaces in there.

We don't seem to be able to reach a satisfactory decision.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:51 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
I think it depends on what is standard for your neighborhood, unless you are really sure that you will never sell that house while you're alive. I updated my modest rancher from the 1960 pink bathroom. I didn't want to overdo it but I wanted it to look high-quality. I went to the bathroom store recommended by the contractor and found a white Shaker-style double vanity (not wood) with a granite top. I insisted on rectangular undermount porcelain sinks, though they weren't part of the package. The granite was probably the lowest grade possible, and it ended up staining if I didn't wipe up the water fast enough. I got an acrylic or fiberglass (whatever they are) shower surround with the "fake tile" pattern and it came with a couple built-in niches. I did a shower curtain because I hate cleaning glass doors. I just could not justify the extra expense of a tile shower when it would be hidden behind a shower curtain, and I didn't live in an upscale area. I am not sure what cultured marble is, but isn't that the stuff they've used since the 80's? Unless you really love the look, you should be able to get an inexpensive granite, which would look a little more upscale. BTW, due to unforeseen family circumstances, I had to sell the house a year after the renovations. I ended up getting none of my money back for all the renovations I had done due to the market at the time, but at least the house sold quickly and for more than un-updated homes in the neighborhood.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree on the doors with tracks. The difference in acrylic and tile is about $5,000. Since we do not have increasing income, we can't count on replenishing our savings after we spend to redo the bath. We can afford the $17,000-19,000 but we worry about needing the money in the future.

The reason we have high costs is that we are putting new counters, sinks and hardware on two vanities, as well as redoing the shower.

I tend to think that the acrylic shower enclosure will be hidden away in the toilet enclosure, so that it won't be all that noticeable. But I hate having three different surfaces in there.

We don't seem to be able to reach a satisfactory decision.
Are you going down to studs and redoing the entire bathroom?? How much tile are you putting in? We went down to studs in our bathroom, putting in new vanity, top, shower went down to studs and rebuilt, new flooring and all of that isn't even $5000. We are putting in medium grade products, so not top of the line but not Home Depot stock items either. I know we got a good deal on the labor costs, but even with the highest bids we got, it wasn't even close to that. Heck, our entire basement remodel is less than $17K. We are not doing shower doors of any kind though, I hate those!! This is our 3rd bath so it's not huge so that helps too.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:12 AM

Our shower was installed directly over studs at time of construction. If we tile, new backer board will have to be installed.

Our high costs are partially due to needing 2 counters and sinks, for two vanities.

We have decided that we are installing the things that make us happy, without regard to resale. We are too old to not have the thing we want if we can afford it.

Our home is in a sellers' market in a good area. It has some quality features, but is not a luxury home. I look at pics of homes for sale in our immediate area. Some of them have luxuriously remodeled baths, but many have the original fixtures.

I have had cultured marble in a previous home. We had sinks installed in two baths, and I loved the easy care aspect. But we have decided against cultured marble for this situation.

Neither of us wants acrylic, but neither wants to spend upwards of $17,000. I don't know to think about this.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Our shower was installed directly over studs at time of construction. If we tile, new backer board will have to be installed.

Our high costs are partially due to needing 2 counters and sinks, for two vanities.

We have decided that we are installing the things that make us happy, without regard to resale. We are too old to not have the thing we want if we can afford it.

Our home is in a sellers' market in a good area. It has some quality features, but is not a luxury home. I look at pics of homes for sale in our immediate area. Some of them have luxuriously remodeled baths, but many have the original fixtures.

I have had cultured marble in a previous home. We had sinks installed in two baths, and I loved the easy care aspect. But we have decided against cultured marble for this situation.

Neither of us wants acrylic, but neither wants to spend upwards of $17,000. I don't know to think about this.
schluter.com | Homepage

Look into this for behind the tile, lifetime guaranty on leaks and no backerboard needed. It's a membrane system.

Picked up our tile today, $330 for wall, ceiling an floor tile. We do only have one vanity so yes, that does help. If we were redoing our master bath with separate shower, Jacuzzi tub, double vanity and such, it would be a lot more I guess. That bath is about 10x15. The one we are doing is about 6x9 floor space not including the shower and sauna.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:51 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:

words to live by.
this needs to be the statement of the day!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating