Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 11:26 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times

Advertisements

I have two small rooms which total about 120 sqf combined. I am going to replace the carpet with a floating engineered hardwood. I am interested in laying a hardwired radiant heat pad underneath. Have you or do you have this setup? Does the room warm up nicely? Are the electrical costs reasonable? And how much movement of the floor have you encountered? I.e gapping or any other possible side effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 02:28 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
The question you should be asking is...

"Are there companies that manufacture an engineered flooring that can be installed over radiant heat mats?"

If there are, is it anything you like?

Old 12-03-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The question you should be asking is...

"Are there companies that manufacture an engineered flooring that can be installed over radiant heat mats?"

If there are, is it anything you like?
Good question. There are several that are made to go over matts. Engineered is the best for dimensional stability and there are even several recommended species of wood that do very well with radiant heat.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Good question. There are several that are made to go over matts.
Really? Can you provide a link(s)?

Engineered is the best for dimensional stability and there are even several recommended species of wood that do very well with radiant heat.
There can be big differences in "radiant heat"- mainly hydronic and resistant electric- along with very different install techniques.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:22 AM

Not looking to get into an argument. So if anyone actually has an electric radiant heat system under an engineered floor then please chime in.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:57 AM

Not being argumentative-

The point was you CAN'T install ANY kind of wood flooring "directly" (the implied direction of your original post) over electric radiant heat mats. The constant movement of the wood would chafe the mat, eventually causing a short and/or fire. Also, the heat generated by electric mats is hotter than that of hydronic- not good for the wood or your life.

If you want to use electric radiant heat for a wood floor, you have to "embed" the mat in at least a thinset mortar- a full mortar bed is even better. With that in mind, remember you will be raising the floor height a significant amount (mortar bed + finish flooring).

If someone actually does chime-in and states they have that setup, they clearly didn't follow the manufacturer's directions for installation.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Not being argumentative-

The point was you CAN'T install ANY kind of wood flooring "directly" (the implied direction of your original post) over electric radiant heat mats. The constant movement of the wood would chafe the mat, eventually causing a short and/or fire. Also, the heat generated by electric mats is hotter than that of hydronic- not good for the wood or your life.

If you want to use electric radiant heat for a wood floor, you have to "embed" the mat in at least a thinset mortar- a full mortar bed is even better. With that in mind, remember you will be raising the floor height a significant amount (mortar bed + finish flooring).

If someone actually does chime-in and states they have that setup, they clearly didn't follow the manufacturer's directions for installation.
Ok I will defer to your experience. I found a mat from a place called warmfloor source that is advertised to go directly under a floating floor and is recommended for an engineered floor due to its dimensional stability. This is only one of four different manufacturers of a mat like this.http://www.warmfloorsource.com/Products-WarmSulate.php

Last edited by cargoman; 12-06-2016 at 09:31 AM..

Old 12-06-2016, 09:29 AM

Interesting product. I'd be curious to a long-term study.

It's obviously garnered quite a following- one of the top 5 requested radiant heat sources in Remodeling Magazine. Never been on my radar because most people want radiant heat under tile (which is embedded in mortar bed). Most people usually put area rugs on hardwood, so heating the floor isn't really an issue.

Plus, if you do the math, watts, Btu's, per/ft, hr- take out the R-value of the flooring, then the R-value of the rug (cause EVERYONE puts an area rug down), is the expense really worth it-vs-electric expense? Especially if this is to be used as a primary source?

Old 12-06-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Interesting product. I'd be curious to a long-term study.

It's obviously garnered quite a following- one of the top 5 requested radiant heat sources in Remodeling Magazine. Never been on my radar because most people want radiant heat under tile (which is embedded in mortar bed). Most people usually put area rugs on hardwood, so heating the floor isn't really an issue.

Plus, if you do the math, watts, Btu's, per/ft, hr- take out the R-value of the flooring, then the R-value of the rug (cause EVERYONE puts an area rug down), is the expense really worth it-vs-electric expense? Especially if this is to be used as a primary source?
I am very interested in trying this out. I think it would work well in my situation and what I want to use it for. The two rooms I would put it in are roughly 130sqf combined....a small family and dining room. I have gas heat which heats the house nicely but these two rooms are always the coldest. Since I travel through these rooms often all day, in socks, I thought it would be nice to have these rooms and floors warmer. I admit it is a bit of a luxury but the area is small and I see it as a fun experiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating