Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:24 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

If your children are so young that they need to have the Christmas tree blocked off behind a couch, I would not worry about putting something in the corner just to have something there.

Your space is very limited, so I would focus only on things that add real value to the room and cannot be a toddler temptation. MAYBE a tall lamp or a hanging lamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 11:10 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Two chairs in the place of the sofa in the corner would look good if you have them. In that space but tilted a little bit toward each other.

Why does your husband want two big sofas....do a lot of people sit together watching tv?

Or can you move the tv forward on the stair wall just a little, put one sofa on the full wall and have enough space for the other sofa...or two chairs or something lighter ... with their backs to the dining room.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:33 AM

32 posts, read 39,915 times
I was trying to have both couches next to each other, on different walls. So that the corner would allow for a table and lamp. The only problem I'm having is that I will have an empty spot alongside the longer wall. Would a small chair and side table be too much? My side tables are narrow and fit pretty easily anywhere.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:37 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asousa View Post
I was trying to have both couches next to each other, on different walls. So that the corner would allow for a table and lamp. The only problem I'm having is that I will have an empty spot alongside the longer wall. Would a small chair and side table be too much? My side tables are narrow and fit pretty easily anywhere.
I think it would be too much in that particular room.

A corner table would not be unreasonable.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:03 PM

32 posts, read 39,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Clearly the furniture is too large for the space-

Now you have the ammunition to tell your husband to leave furniture planning and size to someone else- or at least learn how to read a tape measure.
Yeah, he wouldn't listen. I wanted one sofa and two small chairs. He acts as if we NEED so much seating - which we don't, we don't host parties and such. At our last apartment, he insisted on a sectional and I despise them because it only leaves you with one option to arrange the room.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:18 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Well I have a crazy idea, but I would do it for myself. First, put the window-sofa where the TV wall is so the two sofas are across form each other. Move the TV to be centered over the long wall-sofa. Put a largish framed print on either side of the TV to detract from it. Over the moved sofa put a large framed mirror at least as large as the TV and directly across from it. Now you can watch TV from both sofas! Put an item of wall art next to the mirror (to the right as you face the wall), something like metal leaves or a metal circular iron-work piece. The floor can have a lively rug or a calm rug, depending on your preference, placed over the carpet and between the two sofas. With kids, no coffee table.

At the window put a couple of small chairs with an end table, hall table or something like that in between. These should be happy and cheerful as to fabric.

If the TV must remain on the stairwell wall, then just reverse the wall displays: TV plus one largish framed print/picture opposite mirror with two coordinating wall-art pieces that are not prints.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
The idea of a sofa and chairs was exactly how I wanted it. Unfortunately my husband insisted on another couch. I actually forgot i have another cable jack near the corner the Christmas tree is in now. The TV stand is not a corner stand, do you think it would look odd if I put it there?
Well, you have to arrange seating around the TV. People seated facing the window will get glare, no? I think you probably have it in the best place now, but it is hard for me to tell from the pic.

Tell your DH that you have to find a new home for the sofa, and that the space is too small for both. Perhaps you could store it or lend it out. I don't know about the sectional. That might work if you can arrange it around the TV.

I can't tell how much space doing that would free up, either. Most families could use a desk, but if the space is too cramped, then I don't think a desk would be used. If you can open your windows to let in light, then a nice potted tree would work in that corner, and would be a welcome spot of green. I would not buy an artificial tree. And if you have a black thumb, I would not recommend buying the tree at all.

A useful corner thing might be a nicely designed coat rack, especially if you are short on closet space, but I don't know how you feel about having a coat rack in your living space. If you zoned off the TV space with the sectional, I suppose the window area would seem sort of like part of your entry.

Next time you buy furniture, take a tape measure, and have the measurement of your space with you.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:09 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
It's ok to have empty space. If you *have* to fill it, you can use artwork on the wall. Or put the pack and play there? The last thing you need is any more furniture in there!

Old 12-15-2016, 01:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's ok to have empty space. If you *have* to fill it, you can use artwork on the wall. Or put the pack and play there? The last thing you need is any more furniture in there!
Good advice.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:32 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
We have a similar issue. We have 1 couch right now and its too big for the space. i keep saying we need to get a love seat and a chair but DH says " No, i like to stretch out"....umm, when do you do this stretching out exactly?? Somehow my great grandparents and uncle had TWO couches, like you in this living room and it must have been a tight fit!!!

My advice is to get rid of 1 couch and get maybe 1 big fluffy chair instead. Unblock the tree and put a gate around it instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating