Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 08:23 PM

65 posts, read 119,747 times

Advertisements

I purchased tan brown granite countertops and when they installed them, the edges were not highly polished to match the tops. They look dull. The president of the company I bought them from told me that the edges of dark granite like tan brown do not polish well. Is this bulldung?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 10:25 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Maybe; maybe not.
Depends on the particular granite- specifically "porosity".

Porosity can effect the polished finish; but it's usually so minuscule that it's hardly noticeable. If you feel that there is a clearly defined area that lacks a full polished look have them work on it some more. If there's no truly noticeable gains- it's the granite/porosity. It's a "natural" product, you can only do just so much to it.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:45 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschlegel View Post
I purchased tan brown granite countertops and when they installed them, the edges were not highly polished to match the tops. They look dull. The president of the company I bought them from told me that the edges of dark granite like tan brown do not polish well. Is this bulldung?

I have granite tops on my outdoor kitchen and the edges didn't have any shine to them,they actually had a cloudy/dull look. My installer said this is natural stone and couldn't do anything about it but I found another company who recommended a product called Ager. It's a sealer and enhancer which took that cloudy/dull look away and leaves a nice shine on the top and edges. A qt will last you years. It's a little expensive but you only apply a little (less is better),spread it out with a paper towel very thin then wipe off any excess within 5 minutes with a clean lint free towel. DO NOT let this product puddle or apply to much as it will never dry and remain tacky. I do this every 4-5 months as the AZ sun is tough on my tops but you should be good doing it every 6-7 months.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VM25LO...I1O8M8IIG46LX4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating