Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 07:43 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,012 times

Advertisements

I rue the day I listened to a salesperson who said allen-roth was "as good as Pergo". This is an inferior product, worst of all with no warranty. The humidity is high here and it is swelling and will need to be replaced within less than a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 08:57 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Very disappointing. Do you think any type of laminate would have held up though in a humid environment?

I love the style of Allen-Roth but the quality is not there. You pay for the design basically. We bought a patio set by Allen-Roth was very very expensive normally but we got it on clearance. I am shocked at the poor quality of the set. I feel sorry for the people that paid full price.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:09 PM

I compare our experience with an acquaintance who has several dogs and a similar kitchen installation of another brand. He tested the product by putting it by an exterior door for several weeks with dog/ wet foot traffic. No problems. I think I am soured on any laminate because of this. I have one more room to do flooring and it will be hardwood.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 62,731 times
We installed two bedrooms with the Allen and Roth Gunstock Laminate and we love it...we have cats that use both rooms, they have barfed on the floor, no lifting, no problems...I actually left a piece of it out in the rain for 3 days and it was like brand new.. I don't understand the comment, "no warranty". the warranty is longer than other name brand laminates, and lets face it, all companies will use any excuse not to warrant the product. I tried scratching it with keys and it wouldn't even scratch...maybe you got a bad batch..but it's been over a year, and ours looks as good as the day we put it in

Old 10-16-2014, 11:52 AM

"companies will use any excuse not to warrant the product." True, some are better than others. A bedroom install is much less demanding than kitchen, I had asked if this product was suitable for a kitchen and was assured that it was. Leaving a piece out in the rain is not relevant as in, why would you? Short exposure and quick dry is different than moisture trapped in click grooves. Thanks for your comment.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 61,046 times
There are a few installation methods to prevent warping in a humid environment, kitchen, bath.

-Use laminate glue on all the seams. This supposedly makes the floor waterproof. Or at least prevents most spills from getting to the MDF.

-If you install the laminate on a concrete slab or other floors where moisture can creep up, use a vapor barrier. This is different than the foam padding. It's usually a plastic sheet that goes under the laminate and foam padding. They do make a 2in1.

-Of course acclimate the product first. If you don't, you create gaps which spills can easily enter.

I installed laminate in a bath years ago with no issues, no warping. I just installed A&R flooring in a rent house with pets. I expect to get plenty of years out of it!

Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Allen + Roth is not a brand.
It's private label packaging for the cheap import crap sold at Lowes.

That said, I've installed a few of their light fixtures recently.
No complaints.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 PM

Cheap crap is what it is...... I just want to make sure someone else is not fooled as I was.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
I rue the day I listened to a salesperson who said allen-roth was "as good as Pergo". This is an inferior product, worst of all with no warranty. The humidity is high here and it is swelling and will need to be replaced within less than a year.
Tell you truth from installers I know Pergo isn't at the top as far as quality .There are many top brands that are moisture resistant .Totally wet proof I know of none in laminate. In this day and age of internet I just find it strange people do not research before deciding buying most things.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I just had my dishwasher flood all over my new Pergo Max laminate plank floor. I was able to soak it up quickly with towels and then ran a fan over it for a couple days. So far, no warping....knock laminate.

I am so glad I read the comment about the Allen/Roth patio furniture. I was considering it, but the cushions on their "deep seating" display set are already flattened, so it doesn't look like it would hold up well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating