Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

I know that we have a very small area for an actual home office and we do actually have a home business. A small desk, with two small drawers for paper and envelopes. One small filing cabinet and we could do away with that by scanning everything but we have the space for the filing cabinet so there it is. A small table with the printer on top of it next to the desk.

I have a laptop that I can carry around anywhere with me and print remotely if I have to, so I don't even have a desk anywhere. My husband sits at the desk but I swear it's just out of habit. He could sit on the sofa with his laptop just as easily. If we had less space (the current space is about four feet by seven feet) we could put the printer on top of the filing cabinet and free up another two x three feet or so of space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 07:44 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
As realtors, my husband and I work from home almost all the time. Our desk is where we live. We have it centrally located in view of the kitchen, living room and TV. We would not want to be closed off from everything else. But then.... work is never really turned off. We're on call all the time.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:27 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfood View Post
so nobody thinks just putting a small computer desk in the dining room is a good idea? Bummer. I agree it will look hideous. The reason I was thinking a dining room is because it is underused. I use it about once a month. I didn't even think of an armoire. I have extra computer screens for my work. Most don't seem to fit multiple screens. I'll keep a lookout. Renting an office suite is definitely interesting. I checked it out and the is one location 5 minutes from my house. Looks nice and I always wanted to have such a close drive to work. Not sure I am willing to pay for an office space just yet. I like working at home. Not sure I am willing to pay for office space.

Based on the feedback, I will look more closely in moving the office tommy bedroom. It might be something to get used to. Hopefully, I don't have any work nightmares.

I think the dining room is the best option especially if you don't use it very much. As another poster said, get either a corner desk or an armoire. I personally would not want my work space in my bedroom!

Old 02-02-2017, 12:55 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
I would use the underused dining room. the OP only uses it once a month anyway. you can use a corner of the rom and get an attractive folding screen to cover the area up when you have company.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:32 PM

483 posts, read 418,557 times
Each of my kid has their desk in their bedrooms where they do their homework.
My hubby turned the fourth bedroom into a office n guest bedroom situation in Dec 2016.

My desk is actually the dining room table but I have a corner desk tucked behind my living room sofa for bills n such.

My desk in the summer, warm spring into deep autumn is my outdoor table.. I usually spend a ton of time steeping teas, hanging out with my dogson, doing FB and taking pics etc working on any plans n projects or art work I may be inspired to. That is my most "zen" space.. Outdoors!!! Also one of the most beautiful scenes out of the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Office-img_20161209_094058.jpg   Home Office-img_20161209_094137.jpg   Home Office-img_20160508_193507.jpg   Home Office-received_1212002668854589.jpeg  

Old 02-03-2017, 08:45 PM

124 posts, read 170,937 times
Thank you everyone. Great suggestions. Thank you for sharing the ideas and pictures. Really enjoyed seeing the huge home offices and the outdoor office with a drink. My dining room is not super small. Plus I don't have too much furniture. Just a dining room table and a sideboard. I knew that I would eventually need to move my office space so I purchased a small office desk - 46.5" x 18.5" x 30.125". I think it would fit in a corner of my dining room. When I have guests, I would theoretically clean up the desk. Perhaps even cover it with some covering.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfood View Post
Thank you everyone. Great suggestions. Thank you for sharing the ideas and pictures. Really enjoyed seeing the huge home offices and the outdoor office with a drink. My dining room is not super small. Plus I don't have too much furniture. Just a dining room table and a sideboard. I knew that I would eventually need to move my office space so I purchased a small office desk - 46.5" x 18.5" x 30.125". I think it would fit in a corner of my dining room. When I have guests, I would theoretically clean up the desk. Perhaps even cover it with some covering.
There you go! And you'll be closer to the coffee pot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating