Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 01:56 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,050,475 times

Advertisements

We have a Cape Cod design house. Upstairs is what is apparently considered the master bedroom---a large bedroom with a walk-in closet and a smaller bedroom. There is one bathroom and it is small.

Downstairs is the bedroom that we use as our master bedroom and one large bathroom. So technically, this is the master bathroom, but it is shared with day visitors.

We will be selling within the next 5-8 years and are being told that we should install double sinks in the "master bath" for re-sale value.

Since this is not really a typical master bathroom, and new owners may not opt to use the downstairs bedroom as their master, I'm not sure what to do about the sinks. I have no strong feelings one way or the other although I have never felt the need for a double sink arrangement as we've never been in a situation where my husband and I are getting ready for work at the same time. I want privacy when I'm in the bathroom even if I'm just brushing my teeth.

Would appreciate some input on which sink arrangement to go with. The area is 87 inches wide so plenty of room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 02:07 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
We have a Cape Cod design house.
Upstairs is what is apparently considered the master bedroom---
a large bedroom with a walk-in closet and a smaller bedroom.
I almost every cape I've known the "master BR" was downstairs (near the bathroom)
and the upstairs was for the kids to use. Depending on number and gender of those kids I've seen it
as an open plan dormitory of sorts with desks and play areas and chopped up into tiny spaces.

Quote:
Downstairs is the bedroom that we use as our master bedroom and one large bathroom.
So technically, this is the master bathroom, but it is shared with day visitors.
Yeah. Like that.

Quote:
We will be selling within the next 5-8 years...
Would appreciate some input...
Let it ride until the new buyers can do what they want.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:26 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,718 times
I agree with leaving the bathroom alone.

I apologize if I veer a little off topic, but I ran across the photo a while ago of a really cute cottage and I couldn't really quite categorize it. Traditionally, a Cape has a front door with two windows to the left and two windows to the right, a half Cape has two windows to just one side of the front door, and a quarter Cape has only one window to one side of the front door. I saw a cottage with a gabled roof with one window to each side of the front door. Would you call that a half Cape or a quarter Cape with addition (I don't think one side was added though)? Just curious.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I'd leave it alone and let the new owners do what they want with the bathroom. Focus on other areas.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:52 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I don't think you need to change it out just for potential resale in 5-8 years. Now on the other hand, if you feel like you'd enjoy having a double sink over the next several years you are living there, then go for it. And put it into the bathroom you use as your master bath. In many areas, a downstairs master is considered a very positive feature.

As for the use, it's not so much the idea that you'd stand side by side brushing your teeth at the same time. For a lot of people, the double sinks are nice just so they can have their own stuff organized and arranged at their own sink and they aren't trying to fiddle with someone else's stuff. I do think a nice double vanity looks attractive with a nice basket or other decor piece in the center.

But I would also say that it depends on the condition of the rest of the bathroom. If it's not in great shape, I wouldn't bother with updating just the vanity. If it's in nice shape, then a double vanity is a relatively simple change that would make the rest of the bathroom seem more modern and updated, and give you some extra counter and under sink storage.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:03 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
You would likely be "selling in the next 5-8yrs"- yet, someone is telling you "now" to change the bathroom sink to sinks(?).

I'm just dying to know who this person is! And where this thinking is coming from?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong- the timing is just wrong. There's no telling where the market will be in 5yrs, and certainly not 8.

Sufficient to say, I'm on the doing nothing "right now" bench.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:33 AM

WOW - I can't believe everyone is saying not to re-model when we will be moving within the next 5-8 years.

Around here, people often remodel before putting their house on the market in order to get a quick sale. I am wanting to start our spruce-up efforts now so that we can enjoy the improvements as we go along. Since our bathrooms haven't been fully upgraded since the house was built in the 70's, I feel some fixing up is due before we eventually sell our house and we might as well have the work done now so that we can enjoy it for a few years.

Also, how many of you can say for sure that you will be in your house for an expected period of time? One never knows what may change the best-thought out plans for the future. I'm thinking of our next door neighbors who began a massive --- to the tune of at least $200,000 --- remodel of their house, only to have a job opportunity take them several states away. The work was not completed until well after they moved. The house sold in one day but I'm not sure that they didn't take the first offer they received just to get it sold and they sold for well under their asking price.

How many of you in looking at houses would give a place with 70's era tub and cabinets a second look? We learned our lesson about selling "as is" at a lower price many years ago. We put our house on the market with a carpet allowance of several thousand dollars as our carpet color was not in style at that time and we thought this would allow the new buyers to put in just what they wanted. That house sat for many months. Finally, we re-carpeted with boring beige and the house sold right away. I think most people want to move in and not have to think right away about making changes.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:52 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,119,500 times
I don't think people understood that the bathroom was that dated and I think they were answering more your question on double sinks vs not. I think the consensus is to remodel the bathroom to your use and liking and don't worry about resale in 5-8 years because what you do now will probably be fine. If you don't want a double sink, don't put one in. If someone doesn't buy your house because there isn't a double sink in one bathroom, they really aren't interested in the first place. Be practical in what you do. You say there is 87" to play with--don't put a 24" vanity in that space. We just put in a 48" vanity, single sink, but enough room to put stuff when you are getting ready for the day--hair grooming items, etc.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I don't think people understood that the bathroom was that dated and I think they were answering more your question on double sinks vs not.
Right. I guess I didn't phrase my question very well. We're upgrading the bathrooms because they need it, with an eye to resale down the road, and we've been told by various sources that double sinks are preferred.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:21 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
If you are going to do a remodel, then yes, put in a double vanity. It's not that the house won't sell without it, but there could be some people who want it enough that they would consider it strike against a house that doesn't have a double, and probably very few people who ONLY want a house with a single vanity in the master.

And I do agree that if you think you would have to update in order to be competitive in your market, then do it soon enough that you get to enjoy it rather than just before you are ready to sell. But since it would be with an eye to resale, I'd go with neutral choices rather than anything too dramatic. I do think a move in ready house is easier to sell than one that needs to be updated, and the people buying the ones that need updating are going to be looking for a bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating