Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 07:27 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times

Advertisements

The funny thing about gray paint is it has a cumulative affect.

If you see just one gray room, it looks cool. I remember the first time I saw someone do that and I thought it was really a nice, fresh look.

If you see an entire house painted with gray, it can look nice, too but maybe not quite as cool as having just one gray room (IMO). Still, I have seen a few all-gray houses that I've liked.

But when you're a buyer and you see 6 houses in one day and all those houses are gray, so much gray starts to feel depressing. You get to a point where you walk into yet another house with it and you just want to get out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 07:54 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Beauty is ever in the eye of the beholder, though the general environment might have a role to play as well. In an SFH with lots of windows looking out over cascades of well-maintained woods and gardens, gray might not be the best interior color choice to go with. Warm and complementary colors of nature might be a better selection, but it would still depend on the tastes and impressions of the people living there. Contrasting versus complementary is not some settled matter.

I don't understand all the HGTV use of the word "fun" as an adjective either.

Last edited by 17thAndK; 09-27-2017 at 08:02 AM..

Old 09-27-2017, 08:07 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Yes, I agree, but the gray trend is everywhere now. Not just paint. I was tempted to buy some very nice-looking gray wood glazed cabinets, but ultimately decided against it, because they will definitely NOT be a quick fix if the gray trend becomes dated soon.
I can agree with the cabinets. I missed that part. I thought you were talking about walls and such. Yes, cabinets are tough to switch the color of. For cabinets, I do think a wood with a nice stain is the best way to go. Personally, I painted my cabinets white because they were the construction grade golden oak and even though they are only 10 years old, they looked very dated and bland.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:46 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
The funny thing about gray paint is it has a cumulative affect.

If you see just one gray room, it looks cool. I remember the first time I saw someone do that and I thought it was really a nice, fresh look.

If you see an entire house painted with gray, it can look nice, too but maybe not quite as cool as having just one gray room (IMO). Still, I have seen a few all-gray houses that I've liked.

But when you're a buyer and you see 6 houses in one day and all those houses are gray, so much gray starts to feel depressing. You get to a point where you walk into yet another house with it and you just want to get out of there.
Well, it ties back to the other trend of open floor plans, but I think that all gray is fine because I prefer a uniform color throughout. I had different colors in different rooms in my last house, although the main living area/open area was all one color. But all of the other rooms were different colors. The look was integrated and the colors coordinated with each other.

In my new house, the builder didn't offer different colors, so it's all the same color. And it turns out I like it better. It feels more cohesive and peaceful. And since gray is such a flexible color, I have different accent colors and decor items in different rooms, and they all look great with the gray. Originally, I had thought I might paint at least a couple of the rooms different colors after we moved in, but I didn't realize how much I would like having everything one color. Eventually I will need to paint of course, and maybe I'd change my mind by then but I could see going with one color again, although probably picking something different than the current gray, just to get a new look at that point.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
I admit that I really like the new gray color that's currently everywhere.

But I'm telling myself to avoid it as much as possible because I'm betting it's a fad, and I don't want to look at it like Avocado-colored appliances were looked at after they weren't "in" anymore.
Painting your walls gray, especially since you like it, woukd not be the same as having green appliances for years. Paint is relatively easy to change.

The new seasonable paint palettes for Pottery Barn and others continue to show grays.

We used several grays on the walls in my house in 2012, and I continue to enjoy having the cool, neutral background for my furnishings.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:26 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Painting your walls gray, especially since you like it, woukd not be the same as having green appliances for years. Paint is relatively easy to change.

The new seasonable paint palettes for Pottery Barn and others continue to show grays.

We used several grays on the walls in my house in 2012, and I continue to enjoy having the cool, neutral background for my furnishings.
Pottery Barn is a good weather vane for this sort of thing. If they like gray, it's still in style.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:22 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:

I agree that gray is still "in", but for me personally, I've decided that I don't want it, mostly because everyone else is doing it.

As a joke, I kept track of what colors the Property Brothers were using, and - not kidding - they did 6 episodes in a row that had the same gray-and-white color palette. And they probably did more episodes with the same thing - I just got tired of watching.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:26 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
NOT using a color you like just because it's trendy seems just as silly to me as people who blindly follow trends. I think people should pick what they like and avoid what they don't.

Having said that, if I was flipping a house, then yes, I'd go with things that were more popular just to increase the odds of more people liking the house and wanting to buy it. But I don't see myself ever flipping houses, so I go with what I like, which may or may not be the current trend.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
I agree that gray is still "in", but for me personally, I've decided that I don't want it, mostly because everyone else is doing it.

As a joke, I kept track of what colors the Property Brothers were using, and - not kidding - they did 6 episodes in a row that had the same gray-and-white color palette. And they probably did more episodes with the same thing - I just got tired of watching.
You do realize that there are probably 1000 grays available in paint, right? It isn't as if everyone is painting their interiors the same gray. But, if you don't like gray, there are multitudes of other colors to choose from. For neutrals you can choose from an infinite number of beiges and whites.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:25 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
You do realize that there are probably 1000 grays available in paint, right? It isn't as if everyone is painting their interiors the same gray. But, if you don't like gray, there are multitudes of other colors to choose from. For neutrals you can choose from an infinite number of beiges and whites.
Meh. I'm a dude. Gray is gray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating