Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 556 times

Advertisements

I am looking to paint my dining room, kitchen, living room, and sun room, which are all attached in an open floor plan.

I made up a color pallett that I would like to use and would love any advice.

I was thinking blue (first color) for kitchen, brown (second color) for living room, and greyish (third color) for dining room and sun room.

Do you think this will look good? I do have cream trim, so I didn't know how the greyish would look.

If you can think of any other coordinating colors to add to the choices, I am really only set on the blue in kitchen and brown in living room. Dining room and sun room can change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 07:06 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Impossible to answer without knowing the layout of the overall floor plan. You say blue, brown and gray but there are BLUES and there are blues, there are BROWNS and there are browns and there are GRAYS and there are grays. Do you have the colors already? Just off the top of my head not a color palette, I would pick for an open concept.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Since these aren't separate rooms, it could really look funny unless there are moldings that set each area apart visually. Even then, if you can see all these rooms at the same time, it might be too many colors.

Why not choose one color for an open plan?

Photos would help.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:05 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
I am not a color expert by any means. But I would think about if they are all warm colors or cool colors. It sounds like you are using two cool colors (the blue and the grey) and a warm color (brown) and warm color on the trim (cream)

If you want to keep the cream trim, I would go with warm neutrals throughout all of the space. The safest bet is to pick two neutrals you like and alternate them throughout a house. I always use a cream and a beige. Some people like more vibrant colors and that's great, just trickier to get right!

I've always had the best luck with the Benjamin Moore Historical Collection. Not that it all matches, but for some reason, I always like their shades.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelk124 View Post
I am looking to paint my dining room, kitchen, living room, and sun room, which are all attached in an open floor plan.

I made up a color pallett that I would like to use and would love any advice.

I was thinking blue (first color) for kitchen, brown (second color) for living room, and greyish (third color) for dining room and sun room.

Do you think this will look good? I do have cream trim, so I didn't know how the greyish would look.

If you can think of any other coordinating colors to add to the choices, I am really only set on the blue in kitchen and brown in living room. Dining room and sun room can change.
In general, when dealing with an open floor plan, you should use either the same color throughout or related colors. You could of course do an accent wall as well.

When you say you have a color palette, you should give us the actual colors. Blue can be a million different hues and shades, for instance.

Here is something to consider: use the same undertone in all the colors you choose. So many colors today have gray undertones. Even grays have blue, red or green undertones. If you can find colors with similar undertones, they will probably look OK together. This is not easy if you have never done this before. Take your time choosing.

When you think you have colors you like, it is very important to put samples of them on pieces of white foam core and stand them up in your rooms. Move them around. Looking at the samples in the actual light in your home will help you understand if they will work.

Also, medium intensity colors often look surprisingly dark and intense on the wall. Many times you will want to go a shade lighter than the actual color you like.

And, regarding brown: if you have brown furniture, I would not be using brown on the walls. That would be too much brown, I think.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:44 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
I have an open concept home and it was agonizing trying to figure out a color. I ended up going with BM Revere Pewter and it's been a good color. I like color, so I use pops of color in my decorating...area rug, furniture, paintings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating