Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 06:21 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,888,812 times

Advertisements

I was looking for my new house and toured lots of model homes in Damonte Ranch, a master-planned community in Reno, NV. I took a lot of photo outside and inside. I do like the design of Toll brothers

I think I should share it with you for your viewing pleasure.

//www.city-data.com/forum/48113172-post74.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 07:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,955,540 times
Considering the utilities are in the front yard, the houses look like they might have a 10 foot setback. Sooner or later, the streets will be a parking lot and look ghetto. We were asked to do the frames here locally by Toll. The plans were so incomplete and so wrong it was impossible to give them any numbers. Their response, just do it however. Doesn't lend itself to a builder that gives a dam. I'm not a fan of the arched front door openings. No exterior door should ever be exposed to any weather or expect issues with leaks or fast aging of the door. But I see that you don't need any kind of lawn equipment there. That's a good thing. Not a fan of the modern look inside. It will date the house in just a couple of years. If my tile guy did a job like the one house, he'd be working some where else. Uneven grout lines, uneven tile. Not acceptable in my houses. But overall, I'll give the area this, the houses look to be FAR better built than the crap that is built in Houston Texas. Looks like the side setbacks are 5 feet. For this price point of house that's a rip off. That wouldn't work here except for the first time clueless home buyer. But these are not first time buyer houses unless they are in competition with the likes of KB Homes.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,888,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If my tile guy did a job like the one house, he'd be working some where else. Uneven grout lines, uneven tile. Not acceptable in my houses.
Wow, you got good eye. Which picture did you see the uneven tile?

Old 05-10-2017, 08:25 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,873,867 times
Hate. Hate the sidewalks. Too close to street. Appear to be not ADA compliant.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,599,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Wow, you got good eye. Which picture did you see the uneven tile?
19 and 20

Top of the pic where the island starts the tile angles left

They look like a typical modern day tract house build. Most likely piece work pay. I don't know why people get a hard on for these new tract houses. Most of them have shoddy build quality.
Near my old house they built a tract. 85 homes. We looked at them. I pointed out so many shoddy work areas to my wife. She didn't see them because she doesn't have a trained eye. To her it seemed fine. And to most buyers they are all taken by the ohh ahh glitter stuff.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:00 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,350,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I was looking for my new house and toured lots of model homes in Damonte Ranch, a master-planned community in Reno, NV. I took a lot of photo outside and inside. I do like the design of Toll brothers

I think I should share it with you for your viewing pleasure.

//www.city-data.com/forum/48113172-post74.html
Thanks for the photos. Unlike the other people, I think these houses look lovely - especially the Estates by Toll Brothers and the photos that come after. I have to say there are some elements that are not my style and that annoy me in these homes, but for 600k, hello bargain basement. Of course RE markets are specific to region, but the reverse sticker shock never gets old.

In addition to the grout lines, I have to say if they are going to do display cabinets with interior lighting above kitchen cabinets, they need to make sure elements like shelves are the same thickness all the way across (e.g. the whitish kitchen in Toll Brother's The Estate). While the display cabinets are not to my taste, I'm sure there are people who will find them charming and perhaps even functional.

Also, what is with the TVs above the fireplaces in these houses? They have the opportunity to do it correctly but chose to place TVs above fireplaces? It's not like these homes are cramped. Please, please, please remember excessive and prolonged extension (and flexion) of the neck really strains the neck. No bueno. Place the TV at a height that doesn't require more than 15 degrees of flexion or extension when viewing, preferably at or slightly below eye level when seated.

I do like the chevron mosaic in that one bathroom, but the stand alone tub placement ruined it for me.

Also, have to add that I don't like the two-tone counters with the island being a different color in the houses with more modern interiors. I prefer a single color for a cleaner look that emphasizes lines.

Last edited by hellopity; 05-11-2017 at 12:10 AM..

Old 05-11-2017, 02:41 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,418,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
19 and 20

Top of the pic where the island starts the tile angles left
I don't think the tiles are uneven. I think it's just the angle the photo was taken - perspective lines and all that.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:43 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,418,915 times
The houses are just too close together for the size they are. Nothing wrong with zero lot line houses, but that concept looks better with smaller houses.

Interesting comment someone said about the short driveways leading to parking on the street. I assume they mean when teens start driving. Never thought about that before.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:50 AM

711 posts, read 689,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
The houses are just too close together for the size they are. Nothing wrong with zero lot line houses, but that concept looks better with smaller houses.

Interesting comment someone said about the short driveways leading to parking on the street. I assume they mean when teens start driving. Never thought about that before.
The parking issue is something I'll be paying close attention to in our next house. Every home in our neighborhood has at least 3 cars, some have 4, a couple have more. Each home has driveway parking for 2 and street parking here is crowded just with regular residents. Add in when someone has a party and parking becomes really difficult. We're not in an urban city - just a 50s era suburb.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:01 AM

18,481 posts, read 31,678,189 times
OMG, I love them all.
everything is so beautiful, I just think the houses shouldn't be so close together, that is the only bad thing, other than that, love them.

I live in the city, so to me, this is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating