Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:14 AM

85 posts, read 238,846 times

Advertisements

OK, we a bit mystified... Although our upcoming visit to Upstate South Carolina is mainly to get the lay of the land, a feel for the area, and what it has to offer retirees, we would be interested in knowing who is building moderate cost housing in the Upstate area. Also, what developments have model homes offered in the mid-100s up to the low or mid-200s that we might want to visit?

Oh, I've gleaned a few names from other C-D threads and browsed a few builder sites. However, I would love input from folks who have experience with their homes.

We are primarily interested in a single family single-story home, although we might consider a patio home or something similar. We'd like to be within an easy distance (20-30 minutes max.) to medical care, shopping, and a cultural center.

Also, what Active 55+ communities are in the area in our price range?

We'd sure appreciate your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 AM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,501 times
Eastwood and Ryan come to mind. They usually have model homes in their communities in a variety of price ranges.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 AM

470 posts, read 595,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
Eastwood and Ryan come to mind. They usually have model homes in their communities in a variety of price ranges.
Ive looked at Ryan homes and now own an Eastwood home. There have been problems in my development with the developer and Eastwood has stood up and really taken control. They are a first class organization! And the product they deliver is first rate for the money. In my opinion superior to Ryan. I have seen Ryan run out of a development the second a developer has any financial trouble at all. Check out Copper Creek in Simpsonville, it looks like it was going to be a beautiful development, lots of green space, soccer fields, pool... Developer filed for bankruptcy and Ryan pulled out after building just 1 home.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 PM

Jac and Jbar1 -- thanks to both of you for your suggestions and comments. We've had a Ryan home in the past up outside of Syracuse, NY. The house was built in the late 60s and was a very solid house. Ryan did not make such a quality product in the 70s (heard many complaints), but have heard positive things in more recent years.

Of course, with a big organization like that you can run into pockets of shoddy construction if oversight of quality has slacked off. This can happen with any home builder, and that's why it's always important to have an independent home inspection -- even for a new home.

That said, we will definitely check out both Ryan and Eastwood.

Does anyone else have suggestions??

Old 08-31-2009, 04:05 PM

511 posts, read 1,522,176 times
Default patio homes

There are severel patio homes for sale in Cobblestone place in Easley. There is also a brand new one going up across the street from it. They are brick, granite countertops, life alert ready etc. for 190 & up. Cobblestone Place is a little older but still some nice homes--140-170. There are also some at Smithfield's (golf course). I think the one over there is 200k. All of these are within 20 minutes to Greenville Hospital and convenient to Easley hospital as well. Great doctors nearby.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 AM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
Ive looked at Ryan homes and now own an Eastwood home. There have been problems in my development with the developer and Eastwood has stood up and really taken control. They are a first class organization! And the product they deliver is first rate for the money. In my opinion superior to Ryan. I have seen Ryan run out of a development the second a developer has any financial trouble at all. Check out Copper Creek in Simpsonville, it looks like it was going to be a beautiful development, lots of green space, soccer fields, pool... Developer filed for bankruptcy and Ryan pulled out after building just 1 home.
We have noticed that Ryan has cut and run out of many neighborhoods in the past year (Victoria Park, Coachman's Plantation, Copper Creek, to name a few). It appears they picked up in many of the unfinished Poinsett neighborhoods. This may be better for their bottom line at the moment, but one has to wonder if it will come back to haunt them when the economy turns around.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:43 AM

Jac, that's interesting information regarding Ryan. Jbar1's alert goes from yellow to orange based on that info. Thanks again to both of you.

Pgriss -- thanks for the info about the patio homes...do they include garages? I'll check to see if I can find a url with info. Easley would not be a bad location for us as we have friends in Seneca.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:09 PM

44 posts, read 169,294 times
I must correct one thing. Ryan has not left Coachman Plantation. I live here and know 1st hand they are still here I also have to say we are pretty happy with Ryan and our home. Anything we have had questions about or concerns about were taken care of by Ryan Home. Also Copper Creek and Victoria Park is owned by the same developer and there were money issues with the banks that caused Ryan to leave. There's more to the story but it wasn't just Ryan's fault. The lots were pretty hefty in price due to locations and with the market drying up people were not buying as fast as the banks wanted it to happen. Hence changing to lower cost homes to be built there.
Ryan is actually one of the few builders still surviving in this economy as they don't build a house until they have a buyer. they have taken on quite a few developments that have been deserted by others like Twin Creeks, River Shoals, which were Poinsett homes. Just wanted to give you another buyer's perspective.

Again we are very happy with our home and I am pretty positive most of all the other buyers in our development are too.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:29 AM

275 posts, read 1,760,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifinallydidit View Post
I must correct one thing. Ryan has not left Coachman Plantation. I live here and know 1st hand they are still here I also have to say we are pretty happy with Ryan and our home. Anything we have had questions about or concerns about were taken care of by Ryan Home. Also Copper Creek and Victoria Park is owned by the same developer and there were money issues with the banks that caused Ryan to leave. There's more to the story but it wasn't just Ryan's fault. The lots were pretty hefty in price due to locations and with the market drying up people were not buying as fast as the banks wanted it to happen. Hence changing to lower cost homes to be built there.
Ryan is actually one of the few builders still surviving in this economy as they don't build a house until they have a buyer. they have taken on quite a few developments that have been deserted by others like Twin Creeks, River Shoals, which were Poinsett homes. Just wanted to give you another buyer's perspective.

Again we are very happy with our home and I am pretty positive most of all the other buyers in our development are too.
ifinallydidit;

Thanks for providing that update. I own a Ryan home in Southbrook and am very happy with it. We had also looked at Coachman before deciding to buy in Southbrook and am glad to hear Ryan is still bulding in Coachman, since I think there are still a lot of homes that need to be sold and built there.

Also agree with your comment about Ryan not building until they have a buyer. I think the only time you'll find a new Ryan home for sale in the area that's in progress or almost complete is when the original buyer cannot complete the purchase.

Take Care!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM

267 posts, read 329,975 times
I live in Twin Creeks and I have looked at several of the Ryan homes that are currently under construction. While they are not quiet up to the same level as the Poinsett Homes houses IMO they are leaps and bounds above the Eastwoods that are being built in the next neighbourhood over (that cost $75k more). The biggest turnoff I had with the Eastwoods was that they were sheathed with a plastic covered cardboard rather than OSB and Tyvek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area