Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:20 PM
WFR WFR started this thread

23 posts, read 103,665 times

Advertisements

My wife & I recently relocated here.
We've been looking at houses and would like some feedback about the local builders.
Who has the best reputation?
We've seen homes by AHO, Harmon, SK & Tower to name a few.
Are there any builders to avoid? We are looking primarliy in the Greer/Taylors/Greenville area. We'd liek to stay above I-85.
Please be specific if you can.
We lok to buy a home in the next 6-8 weeks.
Thanks in advance!
WFR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 08:41 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Try looking at Poinsett Homes My daddy knows the owners of the company (has known them since the the 80's) and my stepmom and her first husband use to flip houses (made a fortune) and she looked at them and liked the quality. SHE would live in one herself and she is PICKY for what she would live in. Liz

Old 07-05-2007, 09:04 PM

286 posts, read 1,477,476 times
I would agree that Poinsett Homes would have been my choice if building a spec home.

I had a very bad 4 month experience with SK homes and never got the project off the ground. Luckily.

I ended up building with a smaller local builder, Midland Homes, Inc. It was a very good experience and value.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:45 AM

9 posts, read 52,773 times
Default Great building experience

We are just finishing a great experience building with Millrock construction in Greenville. They only do custom homes, but not expensive like you would think custom would be. Travis Anderson, our builder, works with insulated concrete forms, and our house is so energy efficient. Very green. He is open to alot of owner input. Our architect was Jodee Johnson - very helpful. We had to build handicapped accessible due to MS, and they were awesome. I know it is a hassle to buy your own lot and not be in a development, but after going through lots of builders models and speaking with friends over who NOT to go with, we are really pleased. Some developements do allow you to choose builder, but check carefully.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 AM

250 posts, read 1,212,198 times
We went with D.R. Horton (at the time it was Torrey Homes). Torrey was great. D.R. Horton took a great company and ruined it (in my humble opinion). Their warranty department is very quick to push the responsibility for structural defects off onto anyone else. If I were moving into the area today, I'd be inclined to look into McCar Homes. Check out Lazarus-Shouse, too. Or KB Homes...

Old 07-06-2007, 11:02 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Before doing ANYTHING with KB homes, do a search on KB homes here at CD. Liz

Old 07-06-2007, 11:51 AM

107 posts, read 519,994 times
Default Ryan Homes

We have had a very good experience with Ryan Homes thus far. They are in the process of building our home, "The Avalon". We got some good reports on them from others who have built Ryan homes.
Attached Thumbnails
Best builders in the upstate?-avalon.jpg  

Old 07-06-2007, 12:39 PM

286 posts, read 1,477,476 times
Looks like it will be beautiful B&C ! Are you building in the community off of State Park Rd? We shopped in there and it was high on our list.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:44 PM

107 posts, read 519,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
Looks like it will be beautiful B&C ! Are you building in the community off of State Park Rd? We shopped in there and it was high on our list.

Thank you! Our community is actually off of Woodruff Rd. in Simpsonville.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:12 PM
WFR WFR started this thread

23 posts, read 103,665 times
Great info so far!
Many thanks!
Let's keep it going as this thread will be helpful to many people!
Thanks again!
WFR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area